Read 1092 times

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
Ideas for an Olympics themed writing class?
« on: July 28, 2012, 07:25:54 pm »
I'm planning on doing an olympics themed day this coming week for summer camp. Ive got something for the conversation class part of the day, now I just need something for the Writing class.

My original idea was to introduce the various sports at the Olympics and then have the students create their own sport and write about it.....But thats becoming a staple part of my creative writing lessons....I'm using it far too much for this camp (Create your own superhero and background story, Create your own Supervillain and background story, Create your own Superhero themed story and comic strip, create your own Alien etc) The idea is.......getting a little dry now and I need some alternative ideas to keep these kids interested.

Does anyone have any tips?
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

Re: Ideas for an Olympics themed writing class?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 10:08:12 pm »
The theme of my whole summer camp is the Olympics and one day later this week is "media coverage day."  For the writing component, my idea was to create a newspaper as a class.  Each student will be assigned an article to write, anything from reporting on actual current events and the competitions in London, to the weather, horoscopes (or some sort of prediction), opinion pieces, etc.  I'm not entirely sure how it will work out, but I plan on giving them time one day to use computers and research their topic and write about it.  Maybe it will work for you also?  I've been doing a lot of "create your own... blah blah" type activities so far and, you're right, they get a little stale after a while.  But my thought was to give them specific topics to narrow the focus while still allowing for creative expression and working with their individual levels as well.  Plus we all love having something concrete to show at the end of camp right? ;)