Read 6034 times

• schuettl
  • Adventurer

• October 27, 2010, 08:51:09 am
    • Wonju, Gangwon-do
Hi Guys!  This is my first time ever posting files in a forum so please be gentle with me.  I made this 3 day summer camp for Elementary School kids in 5th and 6th grade.  I had about 36 kids in the camp and everything went more wonderfully than I could have hoped.  I grouped the kids into groups of 6 but the groups had to change a little day-by-day as we had kids absent or newly arrive each day.  I realize that some of the "Native American" materials are not authentic, and verge on the offensive but I had to include some things at my coteacher's request and while not being authentic, they might be helpful so I included them here anyway.  For classroom management we laminated colored headbands and feathers and put feathers on and took them off for group behavior.  However, the activities were so strong we didn't REALLY need these.

• schuettl
  • Adventurer

• Wonju, Gangwon-do
Day 1

Introduction and Nametag Craft:  Teachers and staff will say hello and introduce themselves to the students.  Teachers will explain to the students in English and Korean the theme of American Summer Camp and "Wakanda."  Later, students will make a wooden necklace with their name on one side in English.  On the other side, students will write their new "Native American" name by looking their birth month and day up on a chart.  Students will decorate the nametags with permanent markers and beads.

Ice breaker Games: Students will play games that build trust between peers and lessen a feeling of shyness.  These games include “Find Someone Who” where students must ask each other if they have done something (ex: have you visited Gyeongju?) and get their signature if they say yes.  We will also play a trust fall game where students fall from a table and their peers catch them.

Running Man:  Groups of students will be given a location card written in English.  Students must find the location tied together as a group with yarn.  When a group arrives at a location they must complete a task in order to get a new location card.  The team who finds all of the cards and completes all of the missions first is the winner.

Skit and Songs:  Students will read, practice, and perform a short skit with props in English.  Students will also learn a number of traditional American camp songs and perform them on the last day.  (We ended up only doing the songs because we didn't have time for the skits.  If you have more days or more classes in one day then you might be able to do the skits as their own class.)

• schuettl
  • Adventurer

• Wonju, Gangwon-do
Day 2

Lanyard Craft:  Students will read and listen to instructions about how to make the craft.  Students will use plastic craft lace and weave it together to make a keychain or a lanyard.

Postcard Writing:  Students learn the elements of postcard writing by going through the steps on a handout as the teacher writes a sample postcard on the board.  The students will practice writing the postcard on their handout and the teacher will check their work.  Then, students will write a final, real postcard to their parents and mail it at our English village post office.  We will put a real stamp on it and send it in the mail.

Scary Stories:  The students will learn about the camp tradition of sharing scary stories.  We will make the classroom dark and the students can use flashlights from home.  The teacher will share a scary story with the students and the class will discuss the story afterwards.  Then students will have the chance to share a scary story or two.  Then we will watch a video of another scary story and the students will receive the story all mixed up.  They must put the story in order, glue it in a notebook, and illustrate the story.

Skit and Songs: Same as Day 1

• schuettl
  • Adventurer

• Wonju, Gangwon-do
Day 3

Skit and Songs: Same as Day 1

Hamburgers and S’mores Cooking:  Teachers will explain the process of making hamburgers and s’mores to the students and explain what s’mores are.  Students will participate in relay games to practice remembering ingredients and procedures for each recipe.  Students will receive recipes and materials and make their own hamburgers and s’mores with burners and pans brought from home.  Students will also be provided with the traditional American “bug juice” which is a mixed cherry drink (kool-aid) with gummy candy cut up in small pieces to resemble bugs.  (Hamburger patties were a frozen, pre-cooked product bought from Home Plus that they heated with oil in a pan.  S'mores were made by roasting a marshmallow over the portable burner that was put on a single wood chopstick.  Instead of graham crackers and chocolate we used the Diget cookies that have a coating of chocolate on one side.  They were seriously delicious!)

Camp Rock Movie:  Students will watch the movie “Camp Rock.”  Through watching this movie, students will relive their camp experience and relate their experiences to what really happens in American summer camps.  They will gain new ideas and experiences about American culture and practice their English listening skills.

Korean Subtitles
http://www.cineast.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=psd_caption&wr_id=695072&sca=&sfl=wr_subject||wr_subject&stx=camp&sop=and&page=1

• fctrvl
  • Explorer

• January 02, 2011, 09:00:05 am
    • Iksan
OMG. This is Fantastic!  I had shown my class pictures and videos of what I did in the summer as a child, which was summer camp.  Thank you so very much.  I love this and it's right on topic for what I was doing.  I can't wait to use this.  Wonderful!

Wow... did anyone else click on this in 2018 thinking this was a Black Panther themed camp?  :-[

lol I sure did ^^^

• albie2011
  • Adventurer

• June 08, 2011, 11:50:05 am
    • Hanam-si
Ditto. "Black Panther" brought me here. We need a Marvel Movies Camp. Maybe a focus on one specific hero per day? With everything related to that superhero? Thinking cap ON!
"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?” Mr Bennet, 'Pride and Prejudice'

• GregoryTeacher
  • Adventurer

• August 30, 2016, 02:49:37 pm
    • Haenam City, South Korea
    more
Wow... did anyone else click on this in 2018 thinking this was a Black Panther themed camp?  :-[

lol yes

lol yes

lmao same