Read 1411 times

The interesting hagwon
« on: July 25, 2012, 05:11:09 am »
About 2 weeks ago I was given the option of taking a pay-cut or taking six weeks notice of my employment being terminated.  I decided on taking the “six week” option.

However I am now having difficulty getting my hagwon to provide details of my employment termination in writing.   They seem unwilling to provide a finishing date because they are now trying to find a teacher to replace me.

I am reluctant to submit a resignation letter because my contract says if I voluntarily resign within 6 months of starting I have to reimburse the airfare from my home country. 

Is there any advice that people can give me.
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."  Steve Jobs

Re: The interesting hagwon
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 07:32:45 am »
As most people will state, we don't have your contract or know the EXACT wording.  You literally follow the best choice based on your signed contract as this is evidence that you can take to the labor board here. 

It sounds like wanted to break contract seeing how 99% of contracts probably include how much you will be paid (which can not be changed).  I don't know much about labor laws but obviously breaking a contract (on either end) puts that person at fault.  Don't do anything other than what it is in your contract and look around Waygook.org for legal actions.  There are MANY stories like this.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 06:19:43 pm »
Call Immigration on 1345.  Tell them you are being 'let go' and ask them what your options are.

If you don't have proof you are being let go, and your employer doesn't have proof you are resigning (since you didn't write anything) then you can either:

a) plan to leave after the original 6 weeks, or

b) keep drawing your (non-reduced) salary until something happens.  Don't be surprised if things abruptly stop at the original 6 week termination date.

Whatever happens, *you* need a backup plan, so think about what *you* will do.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 05:29:39 pm »
I appreciate the advice given here.  Thanks to everyone who gave me a response.  Marshie.
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."  Steve Jobs