Read 3901 times

• joseph921
  • Super Waygook

• September 15, 2010, 09:00:43 am
Air Purifier?
« on: July 23, 2012, 12:37:50 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good air purifier unit you've been using in your place?  All the websites (ie. gmarket, emart) are in Korean and difficult to understand what they do.  I'm looking for a small unit for just my place as I'm indoors a lot, and I keep the windows shut and the door closed (due to cigarette smoke).  I use the A/C a lot to circulate air and keep things cool, but maybe an air purifier might help too?

Not sure what kinds they have in Korea.  Back home, I used an Air De-ionizer.  It charged the air particles to a + or - (forgot which one) so that dust and dirt molecules that had the opposite charge would then get clumped with the air (opposite charges attract) and then would stick on the metal slab and after a week or so, you wipe it clean with a tissue and see all the black grime and dirt it collected.

• joseph921
  • Super Waygook

• September 15, 2010, 09:00:43 am
Re: Air Purifier?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 07:22:13 am »
Anyone? I'm afraid of going to Hi-Mart and getting suckered by one of those sales reps who shadow your every move and will tell you this product is the best thing for you.

• SMOE NSET
  • Adventurer

• September 09, 2010, 01:21:21 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:29:21 am »
Air-deionizers are actually harmful to you everyone recommends a HEPA filter instead:

http://www.lasplash.com/publish/Home_134/Do_Air_Ionizers_Help_or_Harm_the_Air_We_Breathe_.php

I have a filter like this:

http://item.gmarket.co.kr/detailview/Item.asp?goodscode=247245264&pos_shop_cd=SH&pos_class_cd=111111111&pos_class_kind=T&keyword_seqno=1813054023&search_keyword=%b0%f8%b1%e2+%c1%a4%c8%ad%b1%e2

It's not as fancy as this one though. I never really use mine as I am always gone (plus I need to buy a new filter but can't be bothered).

Things to check for:
- It fits your apartment size. The one I own is actually too small for my apartment as I bought it for my previous apartment. It will still work but not as effectively.
- Check to see if it has a HEPA filter. This removes up to 99.99% of the bad particles in the air.
- Find out how to change the filter, how often you need to change, and where to buy replacements.
- If you can, check the noise level while running. Some can be very noisy.

• squid
  • Adventurer

• May 09, 2012, 12:33:43 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 01:00:23 pm »
Just go to a bunch of stores + gmarket and shop around for a HEPA filter.

I got a really good deal at E-Mart on a LG (can't remember the model) HEPA air purifier. Listed price was 300,000, but there was only one more in stock so the guy said he sell it to me for 215,000. Went to the register and it rang up as 115,000.
I wouldn't have been able to get it that cheap online. So, checking out the stores isn't a bad option.