Read 1592 times

• scjo
  • Explorer

• July 08, 2012, 09:03:38 am
    • US
Starting ASAP???
« on: July 20, 2012, 10:56:27 am »
hey so this may seem like a weird question but ive been job searching and quite a few job postings that look good (hours i want, decent pay, gives housing, etc...)  have STARTING DATE: ASAP.  the ASAP starting date is making me wary for some reason, makes it seem like the hagwons so bad that either teachers quit or they cant find someone to take the job.  anyone got any insight into this?  cause "good" hagwons should have an easy time hiring teachers so they would be able to hire long time before the actual starting date instead of rushing to fill the job, no?   

Re: Starting ASAP???
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 11:03:13 am »
hey so this may seem like a weird question but ive been job searching and quite a few job postings that look good (hours i want, decent pay, gives housing, etc...)  have STARTING DATE: ASAP.  the ASAP starting date is making me wary for some reason, makes it seem like the hagwons so bad that either teachers quit or they cant find someone to take the job.  anyone got any insight into this?  cause "good" hagwons should have an easy time hiring teachers so they would be able to hire long time before the actual starting date instead of rushing to fill the job, no?   

Welcome to Korea. Everything is "asap" because everything is planned and executed at the absolute last minute. There's nothing necessarily sketchy about it. Just get the contact information for previous teachers and find out about the schools that way.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 05:26:20 pm »
As said above, many hagwons are known for no being able to plan.   Still you are a bit right in thinking hagwons needing a teacher ASAP is shady.  Not shady more of a red flag.

ASAPs can work out to benifit.  If you can jump right in, they may be more willing to be generous or negotiate on things.
 More later got class. 
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 06:19:11 pm »
People quit or get fired. They need to fill positions ASAP sometimes. My public school job was advertised as ASAP and it's been trouble free.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 07:04:49 pm »
99.9% of jobs in Korea are "ASAP"  However, you are right to be leery of hagwon jobs. Always research.. research.. research. Ask questions especially from current and previous foreign teachers of the proposed school. I've been here for 5 years and I've witnessed just about any scenario you could imagine. I've worked in 2 hagwons, 3 public schools, and now a university, so I'll go home to unemployment before I take another hagwon job. ;)

If you want my rundown of questions to ask etc. then shoot me a msg and I'll be more than happy to detail how to secure a good hagwon job if that's what you want.
If you teach a class that has all special needs kids with only the physical ability to move their hands up and down, then you'll be fired because they all gave you checks instead of circles.

• jamasian
  • Super Waygook

• December 05, 2011, 03:02:00 pm
    • Suncheon, S. Korea
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 10:57:19 am »
I came to my public school as an ASAP because my predesessor pulled an runner. I love my schools and living situation so I have no clue why he ran. My friend also came to her hagwon as an ASAP and she loves her boss and students. It's all luck of the draw I suppose.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:31:50 am by jamasian »