Read 2076 times

• Fraulion
  • Veteran

• April 11, 2011, 09:07:42 am
    • Korea
When you are approached to help with something at your work, are you ever told the full story, or is there always something more that you are asked to do that was never initially mentioned?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:01:54 am by Fraulion »

• Lever
  • Adventurer

• December 02, 2010, 09:14:40 pm
    • South Korea
Umm...your question is a little vague, but it seems like you want to know something specific.  eg. Will "Can you look over a paper for me?" turn into proof reading a 300 page thesis paper?

If you give us some more details, we might be able to help you.

• Fraulion
  • Veteran

• April 11, 2011, 09:07:42 am
    • Korea
Umm...your question is a little vague, but it seems like you want to know something specific.  eg. Will "Can you look over a paper for me?" turn into proof reading a 300 page thesis paper?

If you give us some more details, we might be able to help you.

Something like that. Other examples include:
- Help for just 5 minutes turns into 20+ minutes.
- Do a simple student welcoming presentation turns into producing a series of documents for them and their parents.
- Helping out with extra classes, then told after I'm done that I can't be paid overtime for them.

Is this common, or just with my hagwon?

• papayapie
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2012, 10:30:06 am
    more
dgasfadfs
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:10:35 am by papayapie »

I do not think the OP's question is vague, it is when the teacher's ask for help when things are vague; you never know what you are letting yourself in for. I often hear about past teachers at my several schools being described as "angry" and "difficult" and I am sure there are times when I fall into this description. Often the "help" will be last minute; "Can you help prepare speaking tests? "Ok, when, this afternoon, the test is tomorrow". "Can you help with making the exams?" ; I had to write three papers  on my own and two were for grades I had nver taught. This year I got stung; last year I did a camp two weekends a year, I was asked about and agreed only then to be told much later it would be once a month!

Troglodyte is totally right. That's how I handled every "favor" Except I was so good at it.. I never did a single one because they knew how busy I was all the time.. which was actually true because I was doing afterschool program classes, so I taught 31 classes a week. I had no time for anything except preparing for my next class.

Anyway, to answer the OP question.. the answer is an emphatic "No. not ever, so don't even bother to assume you have been told anything." 

My suggestion is to always ask my co-teachers, Are there any upcoming meetings, assignments, trips, etc. This week or next?"  Ask that question every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

You'll never know the full story, but at least you might find out on Friday that you don't have to be at work the following week because of some school trip that no one told you about even though it was planned 3 months prior. HAHA

Seriously. I remember going to work one Thursday morning and I was told by my CT that we weren't having classes that day because of a trip as I was taking my shoes off for class. I asked my question the previous day and was told nothing. :p

If you teach a class that has all special needs kids with only the physical ability to move their hands up and down, then you'll be fired because they all gave you checks instead of circles.

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
Troglodyte hits the nail on the head here.

However, it's important to remember, you are more likely to need a "favour" from your Co-teacher than she is from you. When your aircon is broken, or you need help at the doctor, or something, you'll ask her for a favour...and many times this will take a lot longer than you thought, so it's always important to have a bit of credit built up.