Read 1828 times

• bjinglee
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 10:29:48 pm
    • South Korea
Gift Giving When Leaving a School
« on: July 18, 2012, 06:45:49 pm »
I've been at my school for two years and have a very good relationship with everyone.  Was wondering if it was customary to give gifts to co-teachers and the Principal/VP when leaving a school.  If so, what would be appropriate?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:37:09 am by bjinglee »

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
Re: Gifts
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:04:13 pm »
After two years I would think you have a general idea of what to do.  If you like the people you worked with, then get them some gifts to show your appreciation.  If you do not like them, but you may need either their help or a good word from them later, then get them a gift.
Some you can ignore, others you have to show or give some token.

Maybe consider something personal like a photo. Or just a bit of your time with a dinner and drinks.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• bjinglee
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 10:29:48 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Gifts
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 09:33:25 am »
In the two years I've been here no teachers have left, so I actually have no clue what the protocol is. But given the gift giving nature of the culture I thought it seemed like the right thing to do. 

Besides cake, any other suggestions for gifts? What should I get for the Principal and my head CT who has gone to the ends of the Earth to help me this year. 

Thanks!

• mavsfan5
  • Adventurer

• March 07, 2011, 07:32:38 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
Re: Gift Giving When Leaving a School
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 10:51:26 am »
I'm leaving after two years pretty soon and my plan is to buy ddeok rice cakes for all of the teachers' rooms. (A plate of ddeok for 10-15 offices is less than 30,000 won.) When I finished my first year contract, I did the same thing and the teachers really appreciated it. 

For my office specifically, I'll buy more snacks for them (chips/cookies/crackers/etc.). One of the Korean teachers did that before when she left our office (the snacks) and it was something that actually went to use instead of sitting on someone's shelf forever!

Food is love in Korea!  :D

• sbelleball
  • Adventurer

• February 18, 2011, 09:08:37 am
    • South Korea
Re: Gift Giving When Leaving a School
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 03:10:58 pm »
I'm leaving after two years, likewise...

I am getting my co-teachers (the two I've become very close to) gift cards to places I know where they can put them to use (an art supply store and Kyobo books). The third teacher I am getting some food..

As for VP/P, I am still unsure, but thinking along the lines of chocolate or something from my travels this summer..