Read 23101 times

• Robotka
  • Veteran

• October 05, 2010, 01:05:29 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Grade 5, Lesson 11 - What a Beautiful Palace! (YBM Maria Oh)
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 02:25:28 pm »
Here are more PPTs.

1) What a Wonderful World with the song embedded and timed.  (I added the timing and tweaked some of the animations from the original version I found last year.)  Just start the slide show and it plays automatically.  Pretty female vocals.

And a couple PPTs to go after showing two different cartoons that I used last year with lesson 4.  (I used to show a cartoon every Monday, so two per lesson.)  Practice "What a ___ ___!"  I'm probably not using both of them this time around, but since I have them; here they are!

2) Bugs Bunny - Little Red Riding Rabbit

3) Tom and Jerry ep 1 - Puss Gets the Boot

Here are links to the cartoons.  I have HQ versions, but they're too big to post here.

Little Red Riding Rabbit (I couldn't find it on YouTube!):
http://vbox7.com/play:100dabad&al=2&vid=547518

Tom and Jerry "Puss Gets the Boot":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeGmQDWLwpE
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:18:14 pm by Robotka »

• anigerla
  • Adventurer

• September 02, 2010, 08:25:18 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 02:10:03 pm »
1. Video for motivation (my students were able to make such phrases as: What a crazy man! What a handsome man! What a wonderful diving (I allowed it) and What a tall building/tower.

2. Guessing Picture game - this is from prev. book actually but useful here anyway.

3. Mission Impossible Game:

I played this game in 6 classes and all loved it. However, it uses a lot of paper (so make sure to use only scraps) and is a little messy.
 *We set up tables in horse shoe arrangement in two rows to make sure all teams were at an equal distance from the box.
1. Give each student a paper (half or quarter works).
2. Make them write their team name (our grades are divided into permanent teams: red, yellow, orange, etc.).
3. Place a box in the center.
4. They should write down whatever the slide instructs them to do.
5. When time is up they should crumple the paper and throw it in the box.
Only the papers in the box and with perfect English can be considered for a point. My students are low-level so the slides are very basic, you can adjust.
6. After the game they are normally happy to clean up.

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 03:40:24 pm »
Time to contribute! For the lesson introduction, I made a presentation describing different places in Canada. I've only shown this to a class so far but the students loved it and asked if they could go to Canada with me. Very cute. Hopefully some of you will find this useful!

• IzEFunni
  • Veteran

• December 15, 2011, 09:35:38 am
    • SKorea
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 10:42:36 am »
This is a second activity...

Group "Hot-Potatoe-Game"

Round 1: One fry, pass-between groups, yell stop and the group has to read the next sentence on the list.
Round 2 Two fires, pass-between groups, yell stop and the group has to read the next sentence on the list.
Round 3: Three fries, pass-between groups, yell stop and the group has to read the next sentence on the list.

The kids love these types of games...

Note: The power point is a handout to print out.
Work Study Draw!!!

Here's like my best text book Prezi http://tinyurl.com/cgqvbcy

• knox
  • Waygookin

• July 13, 2010, 12:26:30 pm
    • Busan + Chungcheon-Buk
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 01:51:27 pm »
Review GANGNAM-STYLE game for Lessons 9, 10 + 11.

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 09:39:14 am »
Anyone else consider the Story Land section on page 146 grossly inappropriate to teach to children in a country with blatant racist issues?

• Mrs.B
  • Explorer

• February 25, 2012, 07:53:01 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 02:00:51 pm »
Here is a short, fill in the blank pass the ball that I made.

• aello7
  • Newgookin

• November 23, 2011, 08:18:01 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 10:13:33 am »
Another Angry Bird Game to review the expressions and sentences used during the lesson...

• Robotka
  • Veteran

• Seoul
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 02:30:10 pm »
This is the Blockbusters Game, revised for this lesson.  There are two rounds, which, if you have time, will usually end in a tie score for the two teams (sometimes one team wins both, but not often).

A little more interesting than your standard bomb game, as there is also strategy involved to match your color across the game board.

**Note: You'll wanna change the slide of "Hoseong Elementary School" to your own school or something else.

• knox
  • Waygookin

• July 13, 2010, 12:26:30 pm
    • Busan + Chungcheon-Buk
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 09:25:39 pm »
Here is a little Avengers PPT game.
Lesson 11 mostly with some review slides on lesson 10, curly hair and all that jazz.

*This PPT has been acting up when returning back from the long, drawn out sequence slides (starting at the three helmets and then going into BATTLE MODE [A]). It has been resetting the numbers again to the beginning -so just watch out for this.
-Please reply if it still doing this.*

Do enjoy!

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 03:10:07 pm »
For this chapter I made a snakes and ladders game. I also attached the lyrics to 'what a wonderful world' as we sang it in class and then talked about our favourite places. The kids liked the song and it's slow enough that even the lower levels could sing along.

• gclancy
  • Veteran

• March 27, 2012, 12:37:57 pm
    • Seoul
Re: (YBM Maria Oh) Grade 5, Lesson 11 - "What a Beautiful Palace!"
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 11:01:54 am »
Introductory vocab, nothing else. Some nice hi-res pics too.

Also are people still using these books? The threads seem to have really died...

• rocketeerjoe
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2012, 07:52:35 am
    • Jinhae, South Korea
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 01:51:28 pm »
I begged my last co teacher to tell the school that uses these to switch over to another author. She didn't. No one cares about my opinion. I HATE the way this book is written. Why can't both my schools use Frances Sohn?

edited: I made a "Guess the famous place or vocabulary word" game. I included various places with their names but also the words "island" and "mountain" and a picture of Timon because I used him on an expanded version of the vocabulary for "I know".
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:15:14 pm by rocketeerjoe »
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2013, 08:49:48 am »
here is a link to download little red riding rabbit. show them the ppt the first class. then show them the video the second class. they loved it.
http://www.ulozto.net/live/xRipWpf/bugs-bunny-little-red-riding-rabbit-1944-avi

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 02:27:40 pm »
What a TERRIBLE chapter  >:( This Chapter has me frustrated just looking at it. Especially because I can't think of any times I used the sentence "what a adjective + noun" within the context provided by the book.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:14:36 pm by minamteacher »

Wonders Of The World
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 04:32:54 pm »
This song is about the natural wonders of the world. There's a lot of new vocabulary so I added a ppt to help with the words. Also, I provided a fill-in-the-blank CLOZE for students to listen to. I dont expect students to memorize this song but to admire the beautiful planet we live in. Enjoy!

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 07:08:18 pm by apantelmann »

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 08:36:31 am »
For this chapter I made a snakes and ladders game. I also attached the lyrics to 'what a wonderful world' as we sang it in class and then talked about our favourite places. The kids liked the song and it's slow enough that even the lower levels could sing along.

I took Marie's what a wonderful world lyrics sheet and made it into a simple fill in the missing words activity. If you want to 'original' lyrics sheet, just download Marie's. Also, it goes really well with Robotka's what a wonderful world ppt.

• Robotka
  • Veteran

• Seoul
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 03:17:59 pm »
@MattAwesome:  Thanks for posting a new link to Red Riding Rabbit!

Here's a subtitle file I made to go along with it...with some help from a friend.  Still not sure about all the dialog in the copycat scene, but it's close enough.  Just rename the SRT file to the same name as the AVI file, and they should play automatically.

*NOTE: The ZIP file ONLY contains the SRT file, not the actual video, since I couldn't get the HQ version I have to convert from MKV.

And, the compressed AVI of Tom and Jerry.  Doesn't look great, but easier than trying to find the full video elsewhere.

• Robotka
  • Veteran

• Seoul
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2013, 09:55:41 am »
I figured out how to convert the "What a Wonderful World" PPT to a video!

I really can't take credit for the PPT, since I just downloaded it from the old book thread originally.  I only added transition timing; all the text animation was already there.

So, here's the AVI version (exactly the same, but with the added bonus of being able to pause, which helps with the Fill in the Blanks worksheet by minamteacher...than ks for that!).

My students this year really seem to love learning English "pop songs," so we'll give this one a try next week!

• rocketeerjoe
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2012, 07:52:35 am
    • Jinhae, South Korea
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2013, 02:33:04 pm »
Made a Word Race game for this chapter!

Print out two copies of the ppt. Cut out the sentences. Place the images on two ends of one side of the room. There should be one copy for each team. Two teams per class. Only one sentence available on the whiteboard/blackboard. Call out the sentence. Students will race across the room to get the image. Each team can get an image but only one team can race back and claim the sentence so if they get both, they win a point for their team.

"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus