Read 6999 times

Re: Do you have an office at public school?
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 01:47:12 pm »
I have an office which I share with my co-teacher attached to the English classroom! It's brand new, a/c, my own computer the lot! It's great, get to sit in peace and quiet for the afternoon when classes are done!

• amoonbot
  • Veteran

• November 15, 2010, 08:59:54 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 06:37:09 pm »
For the first two years, I had a cubicle like every other high school teacher in one gigantic office. The vice principal had the largest desk in the middle. I didn't really mind but I had to constantly deal with teachers invading my personal space such as sneaking a peek at what I was doing on my computer or trying to make jokes with me. At first, it was nice, but it became excessive. As a result, when I didn't have class, I'd go into the teacher's lounge and relax.

Finally, they gave me my own English classroom. The classroom is on the same floor as my high school grade 1 students and although they are loud and sometimes try to fool around by banging my door and running away, I enjoy the privacy and usual quiet of my own room. At first, they kept my cubicle and the VP expected me to drop by the teacher's office at least a few times a day, but after awhile, he got lazy, gave my cubicle space to some other teacher, and just let me do my own thing. What's even better is that they just let me take my classroom key home and I don't have to deal with dropping in to greet everyone and can just go straight up to my classroom.

The only bad part about the classroom was the location because it was on the same floor as grade 1 kids, they'd constantly tried to mess with me. I was really sick one day and decided to take a nap. Suddenly, I hear a loud bang on my door, which promptly woke me up from a state of sickly drowsiness. Since I understand Korean, I heard the kids laughing about how my reaction was hilarious. I was absolutely furious, so I told every grade one student from now on, if any of them so much as banged my door again, it'd be the end of them. Surprisingly, that put an end to all their charades.  :P

• Loki001
  • Adventurer

• April 13, 2011, 08:09:47 am
    • Bucheon
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 08:06:17 am »
Interesting thread.

My office is in the back of the 6th grade English room. Which sounds terrible but it's pretty nice there is a sign that says they can only come in with permission and that's pretty much what they do. I'm usually not in my office when my co-teacher is teaching alone. I have my own computer and window. No one can see me unless they walk to the back of the class so I can sleep all afternoon if I want.

It sounds like the best place I have heard of yet. It's going to be on the market next year though.

BTW, I uploaded a great UNO game which seems to be falling through the cracks. You should check it out!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 09:16:20 am »
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I have my own little office at the back of the English classroom. I don't have one specific co-teacher as my school has no Korean English teacher so I don't share it. Although it's small and has no aircon, there's a window and the school got me a fan. When I'm not teaching or planning lessons I  just relax and read or skype. Some days I even take a nap. No one ever really comes in except some of the grade 2's who visit me during lunch times and the grade 6's who clean for me in the afternoons.

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 12:46:15 pm »
It is very stressful when the kids are allowed to scream around my desk all day. Even in this new classroom, my co-teacher and I share an office which is separated from the classroom with a bookshelf/wall thing. The kids come in during lunch and hang out, yelling and playing. They come in during break time before class and scream. I feel sorry for the next teacher. And yes, I will be "changing careers" in case any jerk wants to suggest it. Discipline here is non-existent.

• iseya
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2012, 06:14:49 pm
    • USA
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 02:00:10 pm »
I have an office that I share with a coteacher.
It's on the 4th floor, so I dont see much of the vp or other teachers up here. 
The English room is on the same floor, so students will drop in sometimes..but generally i just tell them to gtfo because theyre usually only around to annoy or beg for food. 
Why do you guys let them hang out if theyre just going to yell and throw crap around

• Dochas
  • Waygookin

• April 04, 2012, 06:34:58 am
    • Gimpo
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 02:56:41 pm »
I share an office with 3 Korean English teachers and 2 Korean Korean teachers at my public HS.  The 2 things I don't like are the AC is on the other side of the room and the people close to it are always cold, and my back is to the door so every time someone goes to the door they are walking behind me, or the door opens and my computer is right there for everyone to see.

If I feel like escaping I can head down to my classroom though.  Except the once or twice a week another teacher asks me to use it, it's locked when I'm not in there.  I have the keys so I can go down there and lock myself in and nobody can disturb me.  I also get full control of the AC (as long as the global switch for the school is on, which it usually is) :)

• taewon
  • Super Waygook

• July 04, 2012, 12:00:38 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 02:59:41 pm »
Don't have a choice. It's the kids classroom and they on;y have ten minutes between class so they come in and start yelling, screaming, and throwing @#% everywhere. I don't have a computer anywhere else in the school and don't have access to wifi here. I go to the library sometimes but no A/C HOT-even when I try to hide there students come in and surround me and look at what I'm watching on my computer, so I can't watch anything that would cause a problem. I was watching the big bang theory and that has scenes of people kissing in bed -"Teacher watch kissing show in library" It's complete B.S. the Kt's get A/c in a shared office and I'm tortured. It's makes my job Blow! Today they are doing teacher training in my classroom so I'm sitting in a KT's office with a/c blowing on me in a nice quiet relaxing atmosphere. I can't imagine having time where no one is screaming or acting crazy around me. If I could have this everyday my feeling about work would be different.
"One year they asked me to be poster boy - for birth control."
Rodney Dangerfield

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 03:27:45 pm »
My desk is in the very large English room along with the 2 other Korean English teachers.

The great thing is, apart from 1 after school class once a week, I am the only one who teaches in the English room.  So, if I'm not teaching, there's no classes going on.  The other teachers travel to classrooms (or co-teach with me).  The English room is my domain.  It's nice and quiet when I'm not teaching (the other English teachers don't make much noise at their desk).  Nice for me.

Not to mention the 2 powerful air conditioners and heating system that I/we control.   ;D
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• papayapie
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2012, 10:30:06 am
    more
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 07:59:07 am »
Oh, I forgot the real kicker. Each grade level has a designated break room on the floor where all the classrooms are. Sixth graders are all on the third floor, so the break room for the sixth grade teachers is on the third floor. I figured I would be allowed to use it, chill in there, make some coffee...no.

I was seriously told that I am not allowed to use the break room for anything other than copying. Apparently, our school used to have a break room for the English teachers but they got rid of it before I arrived. Yay...

And I have told the kids numerous times to get lost, but my CoT made me stop. She says I need to let them stay around in case they want to speak English with me and that they are just having fun. She encourages them to mess around and hang around her desk and come in and dance during our times when we have no class. It drives me mad.

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 07:50:45 am »
It seems that most of us have an office, which is the English class, do some of you have pictures of family or pets on your desks?
HIP HOP IS NOT MUSIC

• iseya
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2012, 06:14:49 pm
    • USA
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 12:44:02 pm »
Oh, I forgot the real kicker. Each grade level has a designated break room on the floor where all the classrooms are. Sixth graders are all on the third floor, so the break room for the sixth grade teachers is on the third floor. I figured I would be allowed to use it, chill in there, make some coffee...no.

I was seriously told that I am not allowed to use the break room for anything other than copying. Apparently, our school used to have a break room for the English teachers but they got rid of it before I arrived. Yay...

And I have told the kids numerous times to get lost, but my CoT made me stop. She says I need to let them stay around in case they want to speak English with me and that they are just having fun. She encourages them to mess around and hang around her desk and come in and dance during our times when we have no class. It drives me mad.

R.I.P. papayapie's sanity

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 12:54:57 pm »
I and a couple co-teachers are in the English E-Book Cafe; lots of resources covering one wall, 3 public computers and some low chairs, bean bags and a sofa. The kids come in here at lunchtime, and occasionally wander in otherwise.

If there are kids around and I'm too busy to talk I stick on some headphones and concentrate hard on my computer screen. They get the message pretty quickly.
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 12:31:46 am »
I'm lucky to have an office with just me and two other coteachers. They are pretty cool and generally don't bother me. We have our own air conditioner and heater so aside from the principal's office, our room is either the warmest or coldest in the school depending on the season.

Don't have to worry about students either. I got lucky though I do feel a bit lonely deskwarming as it is sort of cutoff from the rest of the school lol.

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 07:57:33 am »
I'm lucky to have an office with just me and two other coteachers. They are pretty cool and generally don't bother me. We have our own air conditioner and heater so aside from the principal's office, our room is either the warmest or coldest in the school depending on the season.

Don't have to worry about students either. I got lucky though I do feel a bit lonely deskwarming as it is sort of cutoff from the rest of the school lol.

Yeah, I didn't speak to a single soul yesterday as all of my co-teachers on on their jollies. It's okay as I'm having a sorta working holiday and it's so hot outside if I wasn't here I'd probably be either home or elsewhere with a/c.
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

• Gansie
  • Veteran

• September 21, 2011, 08:01:42 am
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 08:08:23 am »
I'm also in the classroom, right next to my co-teacher. I can actually touch her without stretching my arm. As an introvert I need my time alone to recharge and I hate always feeling like someone's in my space. On the rare occasion that she leaves for a different classroom, it is pure bliss.

She also doesn't like it if I do anything not work related on my computer. And yet I never have to plan any lessons. This means I have to spend all my energy looking busy while doing nothing. It is far more exhausting than you would think. If she suspects I don't have anything to do, she gives me little useless tasks (count the paper used for the photocopier, count the pencils etc).

My friend has the best scenario. Her English class is in an isolated wing in the school. She also has her own office next to it. This means that she rarely spends time with other teachers. She even has a lounge and a bed in her office!!! And she is allowed to do whatever she likes when she isn't teaching. She reads books and watches movies. I can't even check my email without my co-teacher getting anxious.  :(

• papayapie
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2012, 10:30:06 am
    more
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 08:47:51 am »
fgdsgfsdg
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:12:39 am by papayapie »