Read 2251 times

Quitting and changing Hagwons
« on: July 17, 2012, 11:02:09 am »
I am getting impatient with my job here in the states and need to leave asap to keep me sane. I have a decent job offer in Daegu. Somethings about the school are a bit sketchy. Pay is enticing though.

I will be doing an online program starting in Oct and will be student teaching at a high school in Daegu during the morning so there is no leaving Korea or Daegu come Oct, atleast not until my program ends in June

So my question is lets say things start going south at my hagwon what is my options for quitting and getting another job?

If I remb correctly getting a LOR is the best then going on a D visa or something until you return and lineup another job.

Other option would be to go ahead and start gathering new documents soon after arrival and have them shipped to Korea if I had to pull a runner to Japan. Would my visa cancel immediately after leaving Korea after handing in my ARC?

I dont plan on having to do any of this but I just like to know all my options in case unforeseen things happen.

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
Re: Quitting and changing Hagwons
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 03:29:18 pm »
Good gravy! I don't even know where to start: the atrocious spelling, the bad grammar, the lack of punctuation or the fact it sounds like you're planning a midnight run before you even get here!
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 06:58:39 pm »
Cereal: Although, he the OP does sound sketchy, he did state that the extra stuff is for precautionary purposes.

But OP, why take a job that you are not sure of.  What exactly is sketchy about the Hagwon?  I unfortunately do not know about Visa runs.

To avoid bouncing from Hagwon to Hagwon, just try a public school position.  They are safe on many levels and if you have your documents already, you contact a recruiter and they can get you here in as short as 3 weeks.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 07:59:14 pm »
Like I said, I will be starting my licensing program in Oct and can not leave Korea until June.

I am a stickler about having everything covered and knowing ALL my options.

I can't due public school due to the fact I will have to be in an International School early in the day during the week. (student teaching / observations). Which sucks because it forces me to work in a hagwon in the evening.

What is sketchy is that the hagwon or recruiter only wanted to give me 1 teachers email and the fact that the school takes out money of your first 3 paychecks as a deposit for gas, electricity, ect that you will get back when you finish your contract (1mil Won worth)

Another thing I don't like them being able to change your hours in the contract.

Normally I would want to take my time but I need to leave the US asap due to a combination of me hating my job here and needing to be ready to start my program at the end of September.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:45:02 pm »
Ahh understood.  Your original post was a little strange, it sounded like you really wanted to quit and come here.  If you will be here as a student, then bring your docs and look around for a bit and interview in person.  You would be able to see how the Hagwon is ran in person.

Your Hagwon does sound sketchy.  Why would they take money out up front for water, gas, etc.?  That is a monthly bill.  I'd say if you pay in excess of 500,000 for the "extra" stuff (security deposit), it's fishy. 

Just REALLY use your best judgement.  I hear tooo many horror stories about Hagwons.