Read 1176 times

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
Non standarded pension Question
« on: July 16, 2012, 11:34:41 am »
Hey,
So I'm going to take a break from teaching and just live in Korea by extending my visa for 3 months.  Since my rent is paid and I have some savings should be doable but has anyone gotten pension refund while they have been in Korea.
I don't want to leave Korea and then come back but I can if I have too.  I know 1 person who did it but I'm not sure if I can get a hold of her.
Thanks for any help.
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
Re: Non standarded pension Question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 08:16:08 pm »
Simply put you have to cancel you visa ala leave the country and turn in ARC to get the pension.  You extend your visa you can not get pension back.  Now people have left, got refund, came back, BUT they had to reapply all over again for the visa.Tthat means all new paperwork like Criminal Record and Degree.

As long as you have a valid, continuing work visa you cannot "cash out".  Pension will check with immigration on your status.

Also how are you going to extend visa for 3 month. Temp non working extensions are usually 30 days max.  Or is your school going to let you hang around and they not pay you.  Even then taxes and pension still have to be paid?  Or are you going to go with a D-10?  Maybe the 3 months is doable with a the D-10.  But then you can not get the pension cash back.

Please do tell how you friend got an in country refund?
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 08:20:29 pm »
when people talk about extending for 3 months i think they are talking about converting their work visa to a tourist visa.  this still means turning in your arc and having to redo work visa paperwork but doesnt involve leaving the country

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 08:38:37 pm »
To get a tourist visa from a E-2 you have to leave Korea and turn in your ARC card.  Which cancels the visa.  For many people they do it it with a quick ferry trip to Japan and back.  Some have done it in a day.  BUT you have to leave the country.

Once again she can get 30 days temp extension, but it is non-working.  The extension is provided on proof of leaving via a plane ticket or ferry ticket.  Immigration gives it because sometimes the leaving date and visa date do not match.

She can leave Korea and come back on as a tourist via the visa waiver program.  Likely 90 days for most,  180 days if Canadian.

Now she can get a D-10 looking for work visa which is good for six months.  The D-10 is a bridging visa.  So the OP can relax for 3 months, find a job, then change over in country back to E-2.  If she goes D-10 she can not get the refund.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.