Read 1248 times

• jmn
  • Waygookin

• April 22, 2012, 10:55:38 pm
2x apostilled criminal checks and degree copies?
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:10:14 am »
I have heard some conflicting info - do we need 2 copies of these documents (one for immigration, one for MOE), or is one enough?

Thanks

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
Re: 2x apostilled criminal checks and degree copies?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:23:17 am »
To me that is still the question.  In some cases one is enough.  Once visa is done with immigration, you should be able to get a certified copy from immigration.  Should cost about 300 won.  Give that copy to your local MOE.  That is the logical course.  Remember we are in Korea and logic is often ignored.

Have heard that some local MOEs want an original.

Get two anyways if you can.  Just be careful handing the extra over to anybody.  Nice to have a backup if things go haywire with your school.

Things are still being sorted out. Takes about a year till the Korean government figures out how they messed up or things get to FUBARed. So some schools and recruiters are asking for two.  It is either because they want to be cautious which is good in a recruiter. The more common reason is many schools and recruiters are confused and do not actually know the rules and procedures.  So they just form what they think is the proper course.

Can you give more details.  Are you American?  Is getting another FBI check going to take time. Or is it a money issue?
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• jmn
  • Waygookin

• April 22, 2012, 10:55:38 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 04:24:22 am »
Sorry, forgot to say I'm British and planning to go for a hagwon rather than public school. Getting the criminal check doesn't take too long, but the apostilles are fairly expensive at 30 each. However, I guess the possible saved inconvenience is worth that price. Thanks

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 02:40:21 pm »
It maybe quick their(what the heck did I type) there but it can be twice as difficult and expensive IF trying to get from here in Korea.  Hagwons generally have a better chance of messing up.  Even through a CRC may expire in 6 months from date of issue.  It is good to have extras ready, when things go South, then waiting a month or so for one back home.

I am guessing as I have never worked with public schools, but the application process is different.  I suspect for public schools they may need 2 checks.  Once again guessing. 

Anways, you are going with a hagwon and likely a recruiter. I say ONE CRC should be fine.  Get the two, give one to recruiter or school for visa/immigration application.  Hold on to the other, when it is asked for by hagwon or MOE then provide.  Still check to see if a certified immigration copy will do.  Expect hagwon owner and recruiter to be a bit ignorant of some of the rules.

One you hand over all papers to a school or recruiter, they OWN you.  If you have no extras, you are at the schools mercy until you get new papers.  Do not hand over until the contract is signed and they are going to process the visa SOON.  I have heard of people who have handed over papers, then had school stall and delay.  Or they gave them to the recruiter, then recruiter stalls, forgets, or does the old bait andswitch. 

"Whoops sorry that job you want changed their mind,  I have another school in a nice town.  Oh and it is Kindgergarten.  Oh you want your documents back.  Why?  Do you not trust me?  Oh I will let you thing about that offer.  Got to go, bye..."

Good Luck.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:20:27 pm by skippy »
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• tails
  • Veteran

• November 22, 2011, 07:43:51 pm
    • Cambridge, England
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 07:59:16 pm »
I agree the information is confusing Korvia require 1 check with apostille, where as SayKimchi require 2 with apostille.  Who is your recruiter.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.