Read 4365 times

Annual medical checkup?
« on: July 09, 2012, 02:57:27 pm »
I get my contract renewed every September of the year.  Last year I was told around april/may from my CT that they (the education board or something) to get my health examination and gave me a list of places I could get it done and the deadline date was dec. 2011 (end of the year).  I signed my renewal in July.   I was alittle surprised that I could submit my health evaulation AFTER renewing and not "must" prior to renewing.

So I did my health examination in late November.    Now this year comes along and I'm told I'm getting renewed so I need to do my health examination like this weekend or ASAP.  But I just did it like 8 months ago. 

I do believe your actually supposed to get the check done BEFORE signing the contract, but since I did so late last year and now I'm asked to do it right away now, won't my evaluation report from last Nov be good enough?

I prefer to have my examination once every year, but doing it now after only 8 months feels really redundant.   It's like getting your teeth cleaned twice in 3 months (for the year) instead of spreading it out once every 6 months.

In any case, I will fully cooperate obviously, it's just, I'm wondering since my last evaulation was so recent, can't I either submit that report or ask to have my examination done again in Nov. 2012? 

In an empire of lies, telling the truth is treason - Ron Paul

• misskris
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 02:46:41 pm
    • seoul
Re: Annual medical checkup?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 03:23:45 pm »
You don't actually need a medical check for immigration purposes, its just your school or school board that is requiring it. You know, to make sure you're still on the straight and narrow.  So they could request it now.
I did one a few weeks ago about 8 or 9 months after my last one beacause they changed the time of year that they want it.
It was no big deal really, My board just wants the results for drugs and HIV.  So I politely refused the chest xay at the hospital as it was unneccessary and too many x-rays are not good.
If you're school is asking now, best to just go ahead and do it I think.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 04:16:28 pm »
Oh, just to update, my actual last examination (which was all good and clean) was Dec. 15th 2011.  That's not even 7 months ago lol and I feel having to do another one right now is kinda repetitive.  I'll see if they can just use my current examination report.

Oh, are you able to deny having the chest xray?  I didn't know that.  Is that ok really?  Cuz I'll definitely do that.  I too dont want to get my chest xrayed for the 3rd time in only 2.5 years.   I know that this is a health and safety measure for everyone's protection, but man, no sex, no drugs, no alcohol, eat healthy, barely even go out to contract friends let alone a contagious virus, only had a common cold twice in the last 2 years which I got rid of within a few days.   I just feel getting this examination is overkill. 

The only thing I find useful the dental checkup where the guy tells you if u've got something to take care of or not as he doesn't actually do anything but just check ur teeth.   I also like to keep records of my data so I can compare year to year how my numbers are doing (improving or declining) and I'd really like to have my next examination done at the 1 year period not just 7 months later.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 05:21:06 pm »
I find your post a little confusing, but basically there's 2 kinds of health checks for 3 different purposes.

I'll call the 2 different kinds the "Korean checkup" and the "foreigner checkup"

The "foreigner checkup" checks for lots of things, including AIDS and drugs.

The "Korean check" is a general checkup.

When you come to Korea on a new E-2 visa, you need a foreigner checkup.  This is submitted to immigration.

Public schools also require NETs to take the foreigner checkup.  This is a requirement of the Office of Education or whatever education authority.  This must be taken when signing a new contract, regardless of whether it's your first year or not.  It is not required for renewing your visa.

The Korean checkup is required of public school employees on a yearly basis, regardless of whether they're a NET or not.  This must be taken by the end of the year.

I was not required to take a Korean checkup last year (my first year), but I am this year.

For me, this is what I've had to do:

March 2009: Come to Korea for a hagwon, submit foreigner checkup to immigration.
March 2010: Renew contract and visa for hagwon, no checkup.
March 2011: Sign contract for public school, renew same visa.  Submit foreigner checkup to school only.
March 2012: Renew contract and visa for public school.  Submit foreigner checkup to school only
After March 2012: Informed that I must take Korean test before the end of 2012.

C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Deesh
  • Super Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 02:22:10 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 08:03:19 pm »
Similar to misskris, I had to do two medicals in a year at my first GEPIK public school, and I didn't even renew there. They said it was something to do with the local education office changing the dates that they needed results.

Back then at least most public schools contracts stipulated that the school paid for everything like that, unlike now where most people have to pay for it themselves.

On a side note, what is the purpose of the chest X-ray - are they checking for signs of cancer and/or heart/lung conditions, or is it for something else?

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 08:13:38 pm »
Similar to misskris, I had to do two medicals in a year at my first GEPIK public school, and I didn't even renew there. They said it was something to do with the local education office changing the dates that they needed results.

Back then at least most public schools contracts stipulated that the school paid for everything like that, unlike now where most people have to pay for it themselves.

On a side note, what is the purpose of the chest X-ray - are they checking for signs of cancer and/or heart/lung conditions, or is it for something else?

I'm pretty sure the chest x-ray is for Tuberculosis.

• Deesh
  • Super Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 02:22:10 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 08:59:03 pm »
Ah of course, thanks.

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:41:22 am »
I find your post a little confusing, but basically there's 2 kinds of health checks for 3 different purposes.

I'll call the 2 different kinds the "Korean checkup" and the "foreigner checkup"

The "foreigner checkup" checks for lots of things, including AIDS and drugs.

The "Korean check" is a general checkup.

When you come to Korea on a new E-2 visa, you need a foreigner checkup.  This is submitted to immigration.

Public schools also require NETs to take the foreigner checkup.  This is a requirement of the Office of Education or whatever education authority.  This must be taken when signing a new contract, regardless of whether it's your first year or not.  It is not required for renewing your visa.

The Korean checkup is required of public school employees on a yearly basis, regardless of whether they're a NET or not.  This must be taken by the end of the year.

I was not required to take a Korean checkup last year (my first year), but I am this year.

For me, this is what I've had to do:

March 2009: Come to Korea for a hagwon, submit foreigner checkup to immigration.
March 2010: Renew contract and visa for hagwon, no checkup.
March 2011: Sign contract for public school, renew same visa.  Submit foreigner checkup to school only.
March 2012: Renew contract and visa for public school.  Submit foreigner checkup to school only
After March 2012: Informed that I must take Korean test before the end of 2012.

You've also got me confused.  2 checkups per year, really?

What's the difference between the korean checkup and the foreigner checkup?  The examination/checkups I've taken all seemed the same to me:  hearing test, vision test, weight, height, bp, blood, urine, teeth, chest xray.    If the two different types of checkup have different examinations, I can understand that, but if both types of checkup are basically the SAME TESTS only being sent to different bodies of organizations, then isn't that excessively redundant?

Since I've come to Korea, I've only had to take ONE test per year.  Not sure why you are taking TWO tests per year.

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 06:42:37 pm »

They're looking for scar tissue in your lungs, which would be a sign of a TB infection in your past.

There is another way to test for TB, which is injecting a little blister of dead (and perfectly harmless) TB proteins under your skin. You wait 2 days, return to the clinic and they look at the blister. If it's turned red and inflamed, it means your antibodies recognize TB, which is an indication you have been exposed to TB at some point in the past. If it's not red, then you're TB-free.

The return after 2 days thing is why, I assume, Korea prefers the chest X-Ray, and they can pretty much check that out within minutes of taking it. And the radiation exposure is quite miniscule, so no worries there.