Read 1598 times

• Random
  • Veteran

• May 23, 2011, 04:36:04 pm
    more
paying for things "back home" frugally?
« on: July 14, 2012, 03:28:31 pm »
So I got to thinking today as my U.S. debit card, keeps failing to process transactions, would it not be easier (and more cost effective?) to just do my normal transactions from my KEB global Visa check card?

It seems like just doing the monthly purchases on the Visa (WoW, Loans) would be more cost effective than transferring money to the U.S. just to do the same with this Debit card. Maybe I am wrong, which is why I thought I would throw it out here.

Along this same line of thought, would the billing/phone number thing be an issue for things like using the Visa on Steam?

• Random
  • Veteran

more
Re: paying for things "back home" frugally?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 03:33:45 pm »
I did not think Debit cards contributed to one's credit score...

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 03:46:04 pm »
So I got to thinking today as my U.S. debit card, keeps failing to process transactions, would it not be easier (and more cost effective?) to just do my normal transactions from my KEB global Visa check card?

No.  Since each USD transaction would attract an overseas transaction fee.

Better to use your KEB card for transactions in Korea in KRW and your US card for transactions in the US in USD.  Transfer large chunks of money back home to top up your USD account to cover the USD spending.  You still pay a fee, but if you are sending large amounts then the fee (as a percentage) is very small.

But... you can ask KEB what charges and fees are associated with using the KEB (Korean) card to pay for USD charges back home and decide for yourself.  I assume you have set up a KEB Easy One account for transferring money home?

• Random
  • Veteran

more
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 03:50:59 pm »
Yea I have the easy remittance account. It is actually very convenient. I just have no idea why my Debit card is not working at all, and I can't seem to get my bank on the phone to fix it.

Thanks for the help lotte world.

Looking over my bank paperwork, it does not seem like it would be worth it to just run the Visa when I can just send $200 back to the U.S. and have things payed for for a while. My bigger concern is paying my loans every month. I seem to take a pretty hefty hit no matter how closely I attempt to monitor the exchange rate.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 03:53:30 pm »
Don't try to second-guess the exchange rate.  You cannot win.  If you need the money just do the transfer and take whatever is the current rate.

• Random
  • Veteran

more
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 03:55:27 pm »
Honestly I think that is what I am going to do, checking it constantly and watching the ticker and such is fun, but when there is real money on the line it is just too much. I'll just pick a week or something and go from there.