Read 13365 times

Learning Korean in a hagwon or a university
« on: July 14, 2012, 12:50:03 pm »
Which one is better? Hagwons have a smaller student to teacher ratio.
I found one called Best Friend Korea language and culturere center. I haven't found any reviews on it, but their website is pretty user friendly. They also offer accomodations, which is easier than having to find a place to rent for a month or two.

I wish I could go to Sogang University for the ten week course, but my timing won't allow for it.

Any advice or suggestions? I'm new to this site.
Thank you for your time ^^

Re: Learning Korean in a hagwon or a university
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:54:59 am »
I attended Yonsei university language school.
Honestly, I had more fun and going out in comparison to learning Korean. But it depends on how much time and effort you put into it.

They also have night classes as well.

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 02:32:13 pm »
Yeah, I definitely plan on going out for both night and daytime~
I want to learn Korean, but I also want to visit places, see the city, and experience nightlife in Korea.
I'll only be there for about a month or two, so I won't be able to be fluent or anything, but I feel like I may learn more in a hagwon.. If I choose the right one that is haha

Thanks for your input!!

• wrinklebump
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 01:31:12 pm
    • Ulsan, Korea via Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 07:44:40 pm »
i took a yearlong immersion course at a uni and learned a fair bit, but in retrospect it wasn't worth the time or money cuz it just wasn't taught effectively. getting blasted with/ getting to know all the fellow weirdos in class was the best part of the entire ordeal, but you can do that without shelling out tuition.
Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 01:08:44 am »
i took a yearlong immersion course at a uni and learned a fair bit, but in retrospect it wasn't worth the time or money cuz it just wasn't taught effectively. getting blasted with/ getting to know all the fellow weirdos in class was the best part of the entire ordeal, but you can do that without shelling out tuition.
Which University? haha
I think I want a relaxed summer, and it seems like hagwons are generally less expensive?
I'm definitely planning on learning and having fun :]

• padme
  • Adventurer

• July 21, 2012, 06:59:13 pm
    • Gyeonggi
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 12:13:16 am »
I just pmed you about my tutor :) If anyone else is interested feel free to pm me

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 07:53:18 am »
I wasn't a fan of YBM because it felt like 90% going through our answers to activities in the book. I saw it as 'checking homework' without much explanation or 'teaching' being done by the teacher. Maybe we'd have a free activity, but that wasn't often.

Overall, I felt like the teacher was a 'tick/flick' role, just running through our answers, with the onus of learning and understanding being completely on us.

In contrast, I really did enjoy the teaching style at Ehwa, very friendly, knowledgeable and willing to spend time and explain things. I felt they really were taking the role of 'teacher' the way it should be.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• darkshark08
  • Waygookin

• February 22, 2012, 02:05:56 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 12:33:05 pm »
I have attended Korean language classes at Metro Academy (near City Hall/Gwanghwamun) for the past 6 months.  I don't know about the other teachers, but my teacher (Yura Son 선유라) was excellent!  She has lots of experience teaching, and it shows.  It would highly recommend taking some classes with her. ^^

• seantheman
  • Veteran

• June 25, 2013, 06:23:10 am
    • dublin Ireland
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 03:31:16 pm »
Are these places listed all in Seoul ?

I'd love to attend a Hagwon / Uni for a few weeks, but obviously the teaching schedule doesn't allow it.
How have others managed to fit in the time ?

Also, can you give more insight into the Seogang 10 week course..price etc ? I can't find it on their website

I'm out in the the countryside and takes 90mins to get to Seoul central station

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 04:29:02 pm »
i took a yearlong immersion course at a uni and learned a fair bit, but in retrospect it wasn't worth the time or money cuz it just wasn't taught effectively.
Which university was this? (You were going full time?)

• Koenji
  • Super Waygook

• December 03, 2010, 02:43:17 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 02:23:19 am »
I've studied at both University (Sogang) and hagwon (Ganada in Hongdae and Seoul KLI in Gangnam).

Sogang without a doubt was more effective overall.

Hagwons do cost a bit less but so are the hours. Ganada only have 4 day study weeks also.

• bofrank
  • Adventurer

• March 31, 2011, 03:52:23 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 11:36:33 am »
I just signed up for free Korean classes at Yeongdeungpo Global Village Center in Daerim.  I think they make their money through the text book which is 50,000 Won  :sad:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

• thisisdn
  • Explorer

• May 08, 2012, 07:07:37 am
    • Chungcheongbuk-do, Korea
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 04:19:12 pm »
I just signed up for free Korean classes at Yeongdeungpo Global Village Center in Daerim.  I think they make their money through the text book which is 50,000 Won  :sad:

I'd be interested in signing up for classes here, despite the steep price for the textbook. Would you be able forward information on how to register?

Thanks!

• bofrank
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 03:55:43 pm »

I'd be interested in signing up for classes here, despite the steep price for the textbook. Would you be able forward information on how to register?

Thanks!

This is the website and they do not take reservations by the web or phone, you have to show up in person.
http://global.seoul.go.kr/village/yeongdeungpo/center/?CatNum=0&SubNum=1&Language=en&programType=7

Take the train to Daerim station and its a few blocks away.  Here is the google map, its at the northwest corner of DOrimro and DAErimro on the second floor above a pharmacy (look for a green sign with "약"):

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 09:08:57 am »
Which one is better? Hagwons have a smaller student to teacher ratio.
I found one called Best Friend Korea language and culturere center. I haven't found any reviews on it, but their website is pretty user friendly. They also offer accomodations, which is easier than having to find a place to rent for a month or two.

I studied at Best Friend Korean language and cultural center about 18 months ago for 2 months and overall found the experience very rewarding. The teaching standard was high and the classes only had 6 or 7 students in them. The negative was the things outside of the classroom which I heard from other student was pretty bad. Home stays 45mins away and poorly leveled language exchange.
But for learning Korean it's a good option and just down the road from Hongdae.

• bofrank
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 03:34:55 pm »

Thanks!

This is the website and they do not take reservations by the web or phone, you have to show up in person.
http://global.seoul.go.kr/village/yeongdeungpo/center/?CatNum=0&SubNum=1&Language=en&programType=7

Take the train to Daerim station and its a few blocks away.  Here is the google map, its at the northwest corner of DOrimro and DAErimro on the second floor above a pharmacy (look for a green sign with "약"):

Ok, had the first class today and the textbook is actually man-oh-chun won not oh-man-chun won.  So 15,000 Won instead of 50,000 Won.

Also, I thought I would see a bunch of Americans attending.  But, interestingly, my fellow students were mostly Chinese. 

• furtakk
  • Veteran

• November 03, 2011, 08:42:26 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 04:37:12 pm »
I have taken a number of different classes during my time in Korea: hagwon, ymca, global centre, kiip, and classes at a university. The university classes, especially the reputable schools, are far, far better than the other classes I have taken. Obviously, the class time makes a huge difference, but they are also structured much better. I learned way, way more in 6 months Sogang than I did during my first two years of studying here and there.

• Freesia
  • Veteran

• July 31, 2013, 11:29:19 am
    • Yeonnam-dong, Mapo-gu / Giheung-gu, Yongin
    more
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 06:49:16 pm »
anyone know of any places I can learn Korean that are closer to Gangnam, as opposed to going all the way to Hongdae? I would also like to go to classes where I can meet people and make new friends. I've been to classes before where the students do not talk to each other outside of class at all. Thats not what I'm looking for

I don't know about the classes, but here are some Korean language institutions (한국어학당) that are closer to Gangnam. There are lots of Korean hagwons in Gangnam, though.

Hanyang University 한양대학교 국제어학원
http://www.hyili.hanyang.ac.kr/

Chongsin University 총신대학교 한국어학당
http://csklsi.ac.kr/hboard_gn/

Chungang University 중앙대학교 한국어교육원
http://korean.cau.ac.kr/

Konkuk University 건국대학교 언어교육원
http://kfli.konkuk.ac.kr/

Sejong University 세종대학교 국제교육원
http://ili.sejong.ac.kr/

“Without claiming to be exhaustive, I maintain that every philosophy reproduces within itself, in one way or another, the conflict in which it finds itself compromised and caught up in the outside world.”

― Louis Althusser, Philosophy of the Encounter: Later Writings, 1978-1987

• thisisdn
  • Explorer

• May 08, 2012, 07:07:37 am
    • Chungcheongbuk-do, Korea
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 07:39:24 pm »

Thanks!

Outstanding! Thank you for the helpful info.

Unfortunately, I am quite busy this month so I'm unable to sign up for the class. But I plan to sign up next month.

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 08:19:14 pm »
This site did an interview with someone who learned Korean at a Korean uni:

http://rokpaperscissors.com/ask-a-korean-language-university-student/