Read 1765 times

What can you do with a TOPIK score?
« on: July 11, 2012, 03:17:42 pm »
As you probably figured from the subject, I am thinking about taking the TOPIK test..... BUT I was wondering what use is it? Has anyone gotten a job that required you to give your TOPIK score?

• acopel7
  • Veteran

• March 15, 2011, 09:22:05 pm
    • korea
Re: What can you do with a TOPIK score?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 07:56:38 pm »
As far as I know, people have taken the TOPIK exam in order to obtain a different visa.

• SpaceRook
  • Expert Waygook

• November 18, 2010, 11:54:36 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:12:58 pm »
I know of one major Korean company that uses the TOPIK score to give promotion points to foreign employees (the Koreans that work there get promotion points for English scores). 

• Iamhappy
  • Waygookin

• July 05, 2010, 10:44:26 am
    • Gwangju
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:25:17 pm »
To go to many universities you need level a 4 in TOPIK to study normally I heard. If you want a scholarship you need a level 5 in TOPIK.

If you want to change your visa then it gives you quite a few points towards doing so on the point scheme.

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:40:33 pm »
As you probably figured from the subject, I am thinking about taking the TOPIK test..... BUT I was wondering what use is it? Has anyone gotten a job that required you to give your TOPIK score?

I don't think I've ever seen a job ad that had a specific TOPIK score requirement. I imagine it looks good on a resume, but any job where Korean ability is a necessity will simply interview you in Korean no matter what your score is. Also it has been my experience that most English teaching jobs don't care one bit about Korean ability, but in other fields it can be very useful. That was my experience after 6 years of ESL teaching and now about 5 months in a non-teaching job with a Korean company and a level 5 TOPIK score.

As others have mentioned, it's also a requirement for university programs that are conducted in Korean, and it can help you earn points toward the F-2 visa. Applying for the F-2 is actually the only time anyone has actually asked to see my TOPIK score certificate.

And of course let's not forget personal satisfaction and measuring your own ability. I know the first time I took the TOPIK I got a poor result and realized my Korean wasn't nearly as good as I had thought. It motivated me to study harder to do better the next time.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:53:11 pm by steveperry »