Read 1626 times

• eleary13
  • Explorer

• March 13, 2012, 02:24:24 pm
    • Buhceon, South Korea
1/2 Marathon in OCT/ SEPT
« on: July 09, 2012, 09:58:50 am »
HELLO ALL!  Happy Monday!

I am wondering if anyone knows of any half- marathons (other distances would be appreciated too) coming up in Sept/Oct in Seoul or elsewhere in Korea.  Also if anyone knows how to register, etc that would be useful!!

Thank you!! :)

• saram_
  • Veteran

• March 14, 2012, 09:44:43 am
    • Seoul
Re: 1/2 Marathon in OCT/ SEPT
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 11:01:48 am »
A good bet would be to check out the Seoul flyers running club page on Facebook!
Type in Seoul flyers into search n the page will come up!

They have a list of upcoming races to suit all levels..

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 02:52:51 pm »
A good bet would be to check out the Seoul flyers running club page on Facebook!
Type in Seoul flyers into search n the page will come up!

They have a list of upcoming races to suit all levels..

yeah seoul flyers page on facebook is your best bet for details etc. If you join they'll even take of registering you for selected races, beats the hell out of doing it yourself

there are A TON of races in that time period. There is a nice one up Cheorlwon the 9th (full, half, 10k 5k), Oct 6 has the Energizer night race 10k, I think Oct 7 is the Hi Seoul (full, half, 10k), the big ones are Chuncheon the 28(full, 10k) and Joonang Nov 4 (full). Nike may be doing their We Run Seoul 10k during that period but that race sells out fast and is nuts

thats just off the top of my head

• eleary13
  • Explorer

• March 13, 2012, 02:24:24 pm
    • Buhceon, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 08:48:34 am »
Cool, thanks guys!  IT was really helpful!  :)

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:39:48 am »
smilerun.com lists alot of the races happening all over the country. Im not sure that they've updated the dates for all the 2012 runs or not, but theres links to all the websites for every marathon. If you're from Busan/Daegu you can check out the facebook group waguks got runs as well.

My husband's been going to races fairly often over the last year and a half. I think my favorite was the one at the DMZ last September. Its a pretty huge race, which is a lot of fun in Korea. It's also right next to a big river (where people are rafting) and until the bus left, we all sat out on the rocks and had a big refreshing dip in the river. The Koreans thought we were bat-$hit crazy.

Either way, there's quite a few things that make Korean marathons unique like the warm up massage you give to whoever is standing next to you before they fire the gun, and the complimentary meal everyone shares afterwards to name a few. You also normally get a sweet grab-bag afterwards too with fruit and some sort of weird Korean energy bars or drinks or whatever. I love going to all the runs and i'm not even really the runner!!  Tons of fun.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 01:47:44 pm »
smilerun.com lists alot of the races happening all over the country. Im not sure that they've updated the dates for all the 2012 runs or not, but theres links to all the websites for every marathon. If you're from Busan/Daegu you can check out the facebook group waguks got runs as well.

My husband's been going to races fairly often over the last year and a half. I think my favorite was the one at the DMZ last September. Its a pretty huge race, which is a lot of fun in Korea. It's also right next to a big river (where people are rafting) and until the bus left, we all sat out on the rocks and had a big refreshing dip in the river. The Koreans thought we were bat-$hit crazy.

Either way, there's quite a few things that make Korean marathons unique like the warm up massage you give to whoever is standing next to you before they fire the gun, and the complimentary meal everyone shares afterwards to name a few. You also normally get a sweet grab-bag afterwards too with fruit and some sort of weird Korean energy bars or drinks or whatever. I love going to all the runs and i'm not even really the runner!!  Tons of fun.

Cheorlwon is a fun race, I've done it 3 times, pretty location, you run through the rice fields its a pleasant change from the city races which tend to all be on the Han. My advice would be go up the day before and spend the day on the river. It also beats the hell out of getting up at 5AM to get up there. ONLY downside to it is getting back it tends to take 3-4 hours due to Sunday traffic from there.

Seoul Flyers also do road trips to out of town races, the weekend of July 1st we went to Gangneung for a race along the ocean, it was a great time, not sure if we will do a road trip this fall. Sometimes a race promoter will charter us a bus for free, last fall we went to Gapyeong that way.

Yeah the prerace is a bit odd between the dancing girls and the massages and the after race food, kimchi and makoli after a race doesnt usually agree with my stomach. Oh yeah and stuff you get from the races is a bit strange Cheorlwon you get 3 kg of rice, one race we got dried fish amongst other things. The ONLY downsides to races here is the lack of water on the courses, you usually see water stops only every 5k (3.1 miles) or so, in the US even at small races its usually every mile or so also the lack of toilets can be a pain if nature calls at the wrong time.

Best thing is races here so cheap, the MOST you will pay for a race here is 40-50,000 won, in the states even for a little 5k will run you $50 and most run $100 or more