Read 1345 times

Korea Unmasked
« on: July 07, 2012, 10:49:44 pm »
So, some of you may have read this book/comic book/graphic non-fiction. I finished it, have had some good conversations with the people I worked with on it...wondering what everyone else thinks? The Koreans around me really like the guy who wrote it, don't think it 'oversimplifies them'. Awesome, crap, or somewhere in the middle? I lent it to another teacher in my town and she praised it, saying is explained so much...Just curious what other people think of it.
http://www.amazon.com/Unmasked-Country-Society-Edition-Graphic/dp/8934917717

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
Re: Korea Unmasked
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 02:22:42 am »
Good comic book.  Little dated now.  Still a good basic dummies guide to Korea and it's history and culture.

I actually have it scanned in.  Can zip it up into a cbr/bz (computer comic book format).  Just it is a rough. Pages a little wonky.  Maybe missing a page or two.

If interest maybe I can post it up somewhere.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 02:24:38 am »
Have your read Ugly Korean Ugly American
http://www.amazon.com/Ugly-Koreans-Americans-Min-Byoung-chul/dp/8975121283

Another simple comic book and interesting read.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 11:06:50 am »
I read it several years ago.  Like others have said, it's a good simple intro to the culture, but it's also overly simplistic at times.  Like most things Korean, anything that could be in any way construed as negative is wrapped up in layers of BS to make it seem positives.  I don't remember exactly, but things like, "Koreans will push ahead...because they love their families and want to show they are working hard for their country!"  Stuff like that. 

One thing that sticks out in my mind is the comparisons the author made between various countries.  It's an interesting exercise, something we did in several of my University poli sci classes, but ultimately it falls apart.  If I remember correctly, he compares France/China, England/Japan and, most oddly, Korea to Italy.  Ok, France and China could be said to have the same regional (and global) influence on culture, and the geographical realities of being an island give England and Japan similar military histories.  But how on Earth are Korea and Italy the same?  Did Korea host a giant renaissance of art and culture?  Did it produce dozens of scientists that challenged the established order?  Did it make a home for one of the world's largest religions?  Did it even export food to the rest of the world?  And that's nothing to say about the actual culture.  The only thing they have in common besides similar geography is the citizens' quick mood swings and emotional outbursts (oh, but I forgot.  The author tells us Koreans don't show emotions....yeah right).