Read 138930 times

Re: Camp Cooking - Recipes and Teaching Materials
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2012, 01:49:50 pm »
We made Smores (S'mores) and Rice Krispies Treats (Rice Crispy Treats/Rice Krispy Treats) at my elementary school winter camp.  Here's the PPT with the ingredients and directions.

You can find American-style white marshmallows at Costco.  They're also available at HomePlus in smaller, more expensive bags.  I've never been able to find Rice Krispies in Korea, but we used 후르츠 그라놀라 (Fruits Granola) from E-Mart.  It's in a resealable bag and can be found in the cereal section.

I've also never been able to find graham crackers in Korea, so we used digestive crackers (McVities or Diget brand).

I've done a lot of cooking projects with my students, and Smores and Rice Krispies Treats rank pretty high in student satisfaction.  The fire hazard level is also really high because you'll be using a gas burner.  Remember to melt the butter and marshmallows slowly over a low heat for Rice Krispies Treats.  And watch out for kids catching their marshmallows on fire on purpose for Smores.

• elle*
  • Veteran

• April 12, 2011, 10:17:18 am
    • Nonsan Korea
« Reply #141 on: June 01, 2012, 11:03:30 am »
Banana Split

• shelley
  • Newgookin

• May 16, 2012, 01:31:57 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2012, 01:18:05 pm »
Hey everyone

These ideas all sound so exciting...Think PB&J sandwiches are on the cards for my grade 3 and 4 students for summer cam this year. it should be fun. Hows everyones planning going?  its almost that time lol

Keep well fellow waygooks

Shelley-Korea

• 0mnslnd
  • Expert Waygook

• June 03, 2011, 08:10:01 am
Let's make gimpap / kimpap / How to make Gimpap / kimpap
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2012, 03:09:22 pm »
Let's make gimpap / kimpap How to make Gimpap /kimpap
(different variations for search purposes)

Let's make gimpap: ingredients and directions.
word file and ppt

The PPT may not be perfect, but it is better than nothing on the last minute.

The directions are quite simple. I think
Out. Never been happier

• orionespy
  • Newgookin

• May 04, 2012, 02:09:26 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2012, 08:30:02 am »
I was thinking of doing a summer camp class about making smores.  But I thought I could introduce the lesson by having the students watch this Youtube clip about how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and then have the students share their ideas about what today's activity will be about.

Hope this is a helpful idea.

How to Make a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX1EjqXAszM

« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2012, 08:11:00 pm »
This is for cooking canape.
Kids really enjoy making it!:)

« Reply #146 on: July 09, 2012, 08:47:52 pm »
Let's make some Spaghetti!!!

It's nice!
Kids loved having it!!!

• MattyDub
  • Adventurer

• March 08, 2011, 02:33:20 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2012, 09:37:25 am »
Here's an updated .ppt on making banana-chocolate chip pancakes and a worksheet for the students to complete when they have finished.  I've also include (on the second page of the handout .doc) a list of ingredients need for a 30 student cooking class.  The worksheet is geared towards beginner students, so feel free to change anything!  Enjoy your pancakes!

• aemaier
  • Veteran

• February 29, 2012, 02:51:42 am
    • Suwon, South Korea
« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2012, 03:39:08 pm »
When making ice cream, how tough are the hands of the students. I was coming up with a materials list and with the gloves and measuring tools and ice and everything else this is pricey and messy as hell.

• MattyDub
  • Adventurer

• March 08, 2011, 02:33:20 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2012, 07:24:09 am »
Here's an updated .ppt on making banana-chocolate chip pancakes and a worksheet for the students to complete when they have finished.  I've also include (on the second page of the handout .doc) a list of ingredients need for a 30 student cooking class.  The worksheet is geared towards beginner students, so feel free to change anything!  Enjoy your pancakes!

I've updated the .ppt to include vocabulary and target language, and then I have also added anther page to the worksheet that consists of a vocab. gap-fill exercise and a vocab. matching exercise.  The updated files are the same as above, but with the number 1 after. 

• ahshulee
  • Explorer

• March 06, 2012, 08:49:35 am
    • Busan
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2012, 09:59:15 am »
thanks for this! will be a great help this summer!

• eaglejam
  • Waygookin

• October 11, 2010, 08:35:26 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2012, 11:39:51 am »
Rice krispie Cakes---Awesome!.     Ingrediants- rice krispies, marshmallows    Optional ingrediants- sweetened condensed milk, chocolate, peanut butter.    You can split these into 3 teams with different optional ingrediants.   Melt marchmallows in microwave then add rice krispies and optional ingrediants. Serve in paper cups.

• JC49
  • Featured Contributor

• July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 am
    • PYEONTAEK,SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2012, 04:09:59 pm »
PPT FOR MAKING ICE CREAM & CHOC CUPCKAES!!!! ;)

• JC49
  • Featured Contributor

• PYEONTAEK,SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #153 on: July 20, 2012, 12:58:30 pm »
Making Canapes.

Attached ppt and worksheet.

« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2012, 12:49:03 pm »
Great Ideas guys!!

• terri
  • Adventurer

• February 28, 2012, 01:21:01 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #155 on: July 25, 2012, 07:37:45 am »
PPT adapted from someone else. Elem recipe for Patbingsoo

• JC49
  • Featured Contributor

• PYEONTAEK,SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2012, 06:19:19 am »
Another patbingsoo ppt___with Korean translation :)

• Missyjoymel
  • Waygookin

• August 29, 2011, 11:49:35 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2012, 12:16:30 pm »
I made quesadillas last week with my middle school girls pretty successfully.  If you have access to a stovetop, they're easily done.  I just used ingredients I could find at the local Lotte Mart--not the best, but the girls didn't mind--cheese, tortillas, butter, salsa.  I didn't make a lesson plan, but it's pretty self-explanatory.  I showed the ppt along with the worksheet first.  Then, we went to the cooking room, and they each made themselves a quesadilla!  Feel free to alter! 

I have lesson plans for BLTs (they love them), burritos, spaghetti, and omelets. I'll try to post them tomorrow.

• Missyjoymel
  • Waygookin

• August 29, 2011, 11:49:35 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2012, 11:52:13 am »
Here are the other worksheets I made a while back for my cooking camp.  I was allowed use of the Home Ec room, and a budget for the ingredients.  I had a lot of fun teaching this camp.  The BLTs and Omelets were the most successful.  Probably wouldn't have bothered with the spaghetti and meatballs, and it takes a lot of trial and error to get the flavors right.  You could always use store-bought sauce. 

As to the lesson plans, I first went over the worksheet, then we got to the cooking. I think it's fairly self-explanatory.   Hope someone can use them!

• s.j
  • Waygookin

• March 03, 2011, 10:59:12 am
    • South Korea
Ice cream in a bag
« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2012, 11:42:31 am »
I just did the ice cream in a bag activity with my elementary school students:

My camp is divided into 2 sessions: 3rd&4th and then 5th & 6th. I split them into pairs to kind of spread the responsibility and so that it would use less resources which works well because they can take turns shaking. Even groups of three could work.
I did a ppt with them introducing the vocab and the instructions, showed them a video AND did a demonstration. My co-teacher and I each got half of the class to supervise and assist. Despite all this 3rd and 4th was mostly unsuccessful. I measured the ingredients out for them but I wanted them to put it together themselves which didn't work out- some kids spilled their salt, some kids didn't close their bags properly and some would stop shaking and fool around for extended periods of time. The result was that only one team had something that resembled ice-cream (kind of like a slushy) and the rest just had flavoured milk. They were disappointed but they drank the milk anyway (I told them it was milkshake haha).

CONCLUSION: Not great with the younger grades...particularly lower level schools.

Was very successful with 5th and 6th, almost everyone got ice cream consistency except for one team but they had a slushy at least. They were able to follow instructions and didn't stop shaking at any point! They just took turns. I was very proud of them :)

Just as someone else mentioned: DO IT OUTSIDE!!! I followed this advice and was very glad I did as it gets VERY MESSY. Once the ice had melted I had them pour the ice out and then go back to the classroom to put it into bowls.
Someone else also mentioned two small baggies inside the big one instead of one and I couldn't agree more. It prevents leakage and the bags breaking.
I also followed someone else's advice and used flavoured milk instead of getting cocoa and vanilla etc. Just makes things easier.
It really helps to have a Korean teacher with you to explain some things like "get all the air inside the bags out" because sometimes even demonstrating did not help.
I forgot the gloves and mittens part which meant their hands froze a bit but it wasn't a big disaster.

5th and 6th absolutely LOVED it and would definitely recommend it for summer camp.