Read 4074 times

National Pension Service Airfare Question
« on: June 30, 2012, 06:47:02 pm »
Can one buy the airfare and show it to their local pension office, apply for the pension refund and then turn around and flip or cancel the ticket or will they check your boarding pass as well?

Has anyone tried this?

I was going to go out of the country - as many others do, for a few months, but not to my home country as they require.

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
Re: National Pension Service Airfare Question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:10:32 pm »
In order to collect a lump-sum refund, the NPS doesn't care where you go... so long as you are leaving K-land 'permanently' (I've done it twice).

They're not stupid. What moron told you you you have to go to your home country?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:16:35 pm by cruisemonkey »
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:25:12 am »
Please define 'permanently.'  More than how many months outside of Korea?

I've heard that teachers need to reimburse their pension accounts if they've come back early.

Also, a NPS representative I spoke to on the phone said that I needed to show a ticket to my home country.

So I wonder if anyone has actually used a ticket not to their home destination or flipped a home ticket after applying.

• woman-king
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 18, 2010, 03:56:29 pm
    • Gyeonggi
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:08:52 pm »
I'm curious about this too, as I'm going to be traveling a bit before I go home.

Just to be safe, I'll probably book a multi-city flight with my hometown as my final destination.  Would love to hear from anyone who's collected their pension with a ticket to a country that is NOT their home country within the last year, as it seems they're getting stricter about this you-must-go-back-to-your-home-country thing recently.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 12:52:11 pm »
book a multi-city flight with my hometown as my final destination

The only problem I see with this is that the pension service wouldn't start processing your refund until you got 'home' home.

Also, another thing to keep in mind per public school contracts is that most of them have a 10-day period to leave the country after our contract finish date to collect the airfare reimbursement.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 04:04:30 pm »
I thought public schools where under a different pension program.  Would they not have different rules about claiming and time need?
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• fwilsie
  • Veteran

• November 03, 2011, 03:34:20 pm
    • 창녕
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 07:09:05 am »
Two years ago I left Korea to go to graduate school in a country that is not my home country. I used the ticket to this other country when I went to the pension office and received my pension with no problem.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 11:18:35 am »
Thx for the info.

I'm just trying to find out how scrutenous they are about the final destination.

I'll show them a ticket to my home country upon applying for the refund and then ask about their policy while I'm there at the office.

When I called them, the guy just gave me the typical all-encompassing responses to cover his ass.

• talklouder
  • Adventurer

• November 25, 2010, 10:34:02 am
    • Siheung, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 01:58:05 pm »
I am also wondering something similar.  I want to book a one-way ticket to get my flight reimbursement from my school, print it out to show everyone, but before I leave, I want to change it to round trip because I am coming back a short time later.  Does anyone know if that could be a problem?  Would there be any way they could know that I changed it to come back instead of just a one-way.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 02:12:03 pm »
If you can get the refund.  You have to leave the country and cancel/finish your visa (they take your ARC card).  Basically, if you are in Korea with a valid work visa, you can not get it.  National Pension Service does check with immigration to see if you left.  You do not need to go to your home country.  You just need to leave.  Now the question is timing?

For many pension refund application, they want to deposit the refund into your home country account.  That can take about a month to get done. Check to see if you left. Tally up final amount. Wire over money.  Yes, you can get an airport refund, but there are certain stipulations if I am correct.  That is beside the point, going on.  How long do you have to be out of country tol you get the money?  Or can you take a ferry to Japan,  stay a couple days, come back on tourist visa.  Month later, back in the Canada or states you money is deposited.  This I do not know.  So how long do you have to stay away to get the money?

A final note if you get your refund and you cancel your visa, you will have to start the E-2 visa process again and getting all the applicable documents. 
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 02:12:40 pm »
You can apply to get your pension at Inchon Airport.  I emailed the NPS and the reply stated the only difference would be the exchange rate at the time... getting it now or waiting for the month for them to wire it to your bank out of the country.  If i remember correctly, you would turn in your ARC, get a payment slip from the NPS desk, and then you could collect the money after you cross the security check point.  I will look for the email, if I still have it, and post it.

This the Q & A for the pension service. At the bottom right, you can ask them a question.

http://www.nps.or.kr/erms/mail/english/MailList.jsp?searchCondition=&searchKeyword=&orderBy=CREATED_DATE_DESC&pageNo=1
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:28:52 pm by techteacher »

• Ben-Ja-Meen
  • Veteran

• December 02, 2010, 12:30:36 pm
    • Seoul (Dongdaemun Area)
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 02:52:12 pm »
You can apply to get your pension at Inchon Airport.  I emailed the NPS and the reply stated the only difference would be the exchange rate at the time... getting it now or waiting for the month for them to wire it to your bank out of the country.  If i remember correctly, you would turn in your ARC, get a payment slip from the NPS desk, and then you could collect the money after you cross the security check point.  I will look for the email, if I still have it, and post it.

This the Q & A for the pension service. At the bottom right, you can ask them a question.

http://www.nps.or.kr/erms/mail/english/MailList.jsp?searchCondition=&searchKeyword=&orderBy=CREATED_DATE_DESC&pageNo=1

Do they pay out in your home country currency or in Korean won?  Aren't airport exchange booths notorious for charging more fees/higher rates?  Does this also apply to banks in airports? 

I've heard rates are better if you have the money automatically transferred into your home account--but I  guess it doesn't matter if the exchange rate plummets while you're home waiting for your cash to arrive.  I still haven't decided what to do.