Read 1390 times

Document question and question about public schools.
« on: June 28, 2012, 10:58:26 pm »
Hello,
I will be finishing my current contract in September.  Then I'm going home for a break, but am considering coming back to Korea.  Do I need to get documents again? I heard if there is less than a three month lapse in between contracts they transfer over? Is that true?  I also want to switch to public schools, I know the major intakes for EPIK are August (which I'll miss) and February.  Anyone know the chances of being able to find a public school position starting in Novemberish, if the document thing is true. 

Edit: I think I put this topic in the wrong place, if I did apologies!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:00:06 pm by penguininkorea »

• fwilsie
  • Veteran

• November 03, 2011, 03:34:20 pm
    • 창녕
Re: Document question and question about public schools.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 07:11:44 am »
You will have to search around more but you can find a pubic school job at a time other at the beginning of a new semester.
For the public school I'm at now I went through a recruiter and started in October. It's an excellent school and I was not replacing a teacher who bailed out early. They just got caught up in a strange hiring schedule somehow. I was also not the only one, as before I went to my school on the first day I went, with a group of about 15 others, to a POE welcoming ceremony for all of us who were starting then, November 1st.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 07:24:19 am »
Don't know anything about the documents, and your best bet there is to call immigration and ask them directly. It's possible to get PS jobs in the off season (I got my position in October) but it's not very easy and you may have to take whatever you can get, as there would have to be unsual circumstances, ie someone pulled a runner (as in my situation) or quit their contract early, or else you are replacing someone else who came in under those circumstances at an unusual time. 

• vw08
  • Super Waygook

• May 11, 2011, 01:26:31 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:50:16 am »
There are jobs that start at odd times, if you look for them.  If you haven't already, contact Footprints or Korea Horizons.  I know both do a lot of hiring direct for MOEs and likely have positions that will open up around the time you are looking for.  There are no doubt other recruiters that deal with the same type of hiring, but those are the two I know off the top of my head.

Some schools like to hire directly and not through a recruiter or their local MOE.  Try making a post on the job board saying what type of job you are looking for and when you are looking to start.  There is a good chance that there is someone looking for their replacement or who knows of an open job in their area.

Have you looked into a D10 visa?  I'm not 100% sure on all the details, but I have heard that it is a "job hunting" visa that is good for up to 6 months.  It is supposed to be easy to transfer an E2 into a D10 and back into another E2 once you have your job secured.  One downside about a D10, from what I have heard, is that they hold your pension since the visa is for people intending on finding a job and staying in Korea, so if you are not sure whether or not you will return, it might not be the best option. Again, I don't know all the details, so calling immigration could clear thing up.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 11:02:59 am »
Thanks for the replies, this is helpful!

• clmowl
  • Waygookin

• August 30, 2011, 09:11:57 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:20:24 pm »
I'm not sure about Hagwon/Uni to public school, but friends who have moved the other way (public to hagwon/uni) have had to get their documents re-done. They didn't even leave the country, just changed jobs in the same working week.

• amoonbot
  • Veteran

• November 15, 2010, 08:59:54 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 03:37:59 pm »
Once you complete your contract and receive a LOR or some sort of completion letter, you can apply for the D-10, which you can hold onto for 6-months while looking for a job.

Now, you want to leave the country, so you need to ask immigration if leaving the country cancels out the D-10. As far as pension goes, it makes sense that they hold onto it since you're not going to leave the country and planning on staying at another job.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 02:43:46 pm »
Thanks, I was wondering about the D-10 visa, if I could get it or not since I do plan on leaving the country once my current contract ends, then coming back when the new job begins.  That is something I could look into.