Read 8970 times

• bb
  • Super Waygook

• October 20, 2010, 08:19:17 am
    • korea
Re: Student was Jacking-Off In Class
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 02:55:23 pm »
I haven't had this exact situation (thankfully) but the frustrating thing I find about this kind of thing is that I'm armed with zero background info about my students.

I mean, if I were in this situation I'd wanna know_ Is this kid showing other...socially innapropriate development? Is this kid basically showing healthy development but needs some well timed redirection? That kind of thing would really impact whether I reacted by just pulling him aside and gently advised him or whether I notified his homeroom teacher in a more formal way.

I know I'm a supplementary teacher and generally speaking I don't want to be that deep 'in the loop' but...

Also_ It seems like he could be doing the same thing in art class, music class, soccer practice, during a long violin cadenza at his orchestra recital etc. and as long as he doesn't do it in home room it'll never get addressed as there isn't a lot of coordination between teachers.

It's not that I wanna be all Big Brothery with my students but in the interest of their general well being...

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 03:50:54 pm »
I don't know what you guys were like in middleschool and in highschool, but I knew damn well that that sort of stuff wasn't socially acceptable. Come on people -- this isn't normal behaviour for a middleschooler much less from older students, and saying "aw he didn't know any better" is a cop-out that really doesn't help anybody, certainly not the student.

I personally think that 83travelinman's advice is solid.

Grade 5 isn't middle school, and in Korea the kid could be 8 or 9 years old.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 09:44:48 am »
Grade 5 isn't middle school, and in Korea the kid could be 8 or 9 years old.

Yeah, I was mostly referring to the posts about the older kids (middle and high school... and university o.O ).

• kps1
  • Expert Waygook

• June 04, 2010, 08:20:13 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 10:39:28 am »
This sounds like it's straight out of Ham on Rye.