Read 1288 times

Please Recommend a Great Job!!
« on: June 26, 2012, 01:01:21 pm »
Can anyone recommend a teaching job (in Korea, or anywhere) where I can find independence, flexibility with what I teach, a sincere desire for measurable results, and perhaps even some opportunities for growth?

If nothing else, I'd mainly love to teach without a co-teacher, and with some flexibility to get results as best as possible.

I know this is probably what everyone is looking for, but has anyone found it???

• 0mnslnd
  • Expert Waygook

• June 03, 2011, 08:10:01 am
Re: Please Recommend a Great Job!!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 06:03:19 pm »
try anywhere, because you will not find that in Korea  :)

Out. Never been happier

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 06:50:43 am »
I had that exact job in Laos; it paid less than half what I make here.

Hence I'm in Korea paying off debt!

I don't know any job in this country that will fulfill your dream, sadly.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

• eggxdrop_soup
  • Waygookin

• April 12, 2012, 12:19:48 pm
    • Pyeongtaek, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 07:57:51 am »
I'm not renewing with my public school (so if you want the job...it'll be available in about 9 months) and I'm pretty sure I'm the closest you'll get to what you are looking for...

I DO have to follow a textbook...but when I'm finished with that lesson (lessons from the book take me about 20 minutes tops) I have been able to plan anything I want and have been for the few months that I've been here. I've gotten zero complaints about it...and my co-teachers do not teach with me...they just attend the classes to help with discipline.

Unfortunately, I don't grade the students BUT my high school counterpart wasn't grading the students either. He has since managed to weasel his way into the grading system just by asking. They liked his idea and it stuck. I'm sure if I suggested something similar it would be taken into consideration.

My classroom is huge, I don't have to sit in an office with other teachers, I get free lunch, and I once got reprimanded for staying AFTER 4:30.

I know I am EXTREMELY lucky to be in my situation...especia lly considering this is my first job post-grad and my first Korean teaching job.

And what do you mean by growth? Professional growth? Measurable growth in the students?

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 09:44:10 am »
Oops, I meant growth within the organization. Thanks for the responses so far. I'll keep searching...

• eggxdrop_soup
  • Waygookin

• April 12, 2012, 12:19:48 pm
    • Pyeongtaek, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:19:14 am »
If that's the case...I definitely don't see that happening in Korea. BUT I do see someone becoming a a major part of the English "department" if they find a flexible enough school.

My only suggestion would be to find a job at a hagwon, only to learn the tricks of the trade so that maybe you could eventually open your own. That's the only way I see someone moving up in the system...

Good luck!

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 11:59:39 am »
Well, "moving up" within a hagwon or public school or whatever just isn't going to happen to people with E-2's. These people are considered short-term workers and are clearly expendable. As a foreign worker, you have a ceiling here in Korea. You either accept that or move on. There are limitations here.