Read 2330 times

• aemaier
  • Veteran

• February 29, 2012, 02:51:42 am
    • Suwon, South Korea
2nd year in Korea, 1st year in GEPIK
« on: June 26, 2012, 10:59:47 am »
Switched over from a hagwon to public school. My co-teachers actually use this site a lot more than I have the past year, strange.

• Rhodesian
  • Adventurer

• February 19, 2012, 09:06:34 am
    • New Zealand
Re: 2nd year in Korea, 1st year in GEPIK
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 01:55:48 pm »
what differences have you found?

• Amy,Hwang
  • Newgookin

• February 06, 2011, 10:42:02 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:57:38 pm »
What makes you change hakwon to public school?
My school teacher wants to change school to hakwon.

• aemaier
  • Veteran

• February 29, 2012, 02:51:42 am
    • Suwon, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:54:37 am »
Mostly just the hours and vacation time. Pay and teaching are largely the same.

• gnaimoli1
  • Explorer

• June 27, 2012, 06:53:20 pm
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:01:31 am »
which one do u like better?
i got paid more at my old hagwon and worked less hours  :(

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 09:14:26 am »

It could be an number of reasons. A lot of NETs in Korea are largely ignored or are just a show-piece for the school - there are no tests for anything I teach and I only see my students once a week or once a fortnight if classes are cancelled. There is very little job satisfaction as I feel I am irrelevant to my students - all they care about is exams, which is understandable because they are pushed so hard by parents and teachers to do well in exams. Everything in Korean school is about exams.

Also, for some people, being forced to work with a Korean English teacher is horrible. Often KETs ruin classes by translating everything. Usually, NETs want the students to think about the answers to questions and then answer them but sometimes a KET walking around the class will just tell the students all of the answers! Who did I ask, the student or the KET? I know the KET knows English (or should know English)! I want the student to think and practice in English.

Korean teachers also rarely enforce discipline so even when students are swearing, in English or in Korean, or shouting things disrespectfully at the NET, they do nothing - this is strange because every year there are polls and KETs consistently say on the polls they should be in charge of discipline and then they don't do anything about it. Then, they accuse the NET of not liking the students because they are "too strict". Other KETs claim credit for NET's work, or just criticise them after class without offering any real advice for how to improve.

So, for many people, working in a public school with a KET is more trouble than it's worth.

In a hagwon, you will have your own classes that you will see every day of the week so you can build up a real relationship with the students. You will have your own textbook to work from (I have no textbook in my public school) and you will be responsible for the students' grades. Plus, you don't have to worry about a KET turning up to class and ruining it by translating everything. That's the ideal anyway. The reality is often different, of course.

Finally, maybe the NET at your school just wants to get up later in the morning!  :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 09:15:59 am by flasyb »
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• Rhodesian
  • Adventurer

• February 19, 2012, 09:06:34 am
    • New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 02:19:48 pm »

It could be an number of reasons. A lot of NETs in Korea are largely ignored or are just a show-piece for the school - there are no tests for anything I teach and I only see my students once a week or once a fortnight if classes are cancelled.a real relationship with the students. You will have your own textbook to work from (I have no textbook in my public school) and you will be responsible for the students' grades. Plus, you don't have to worry about a KET turning up to class and ruining it by translating everything. That's the ideal anyway.
Finally, maybe the NET at your school just wants to get up later in the morning!  :)

This makes perfect sense.  I am a semi-ignored NET but in the happy posiion of being given control over half the class and the KETs take the other half.  I suppose the downside of the hagwons are if you get a bad, manipulative boss and work many hours....

• esanders211
  • Explorer

• June 28, 2012, 09:42:56 am
    • Busan, Daeyeon Middle School
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 09:24:58 am »
Hello!

I also worked in a hagwon for a couple of years before switching to a public school. This site is proving to be a great resource!! Thank you!

Eric

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 02:42:34 pm »
Hey everybody
I'm the same now, just moved to public. Unfortunately I was in a very bad hagwon so I'm just happy to have some job security and more respect shown to me by my fellow teachers than what I was used to. I hope it all continues! Delighted to have found this site, it's a great aid  :D

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 01:00:06 am »
I think Hakwon is better than school.
because there isn't any open class in hakwon, but school has.
and you don't need to summit documents like lesson plan in hakwon.
Anyway gook luck.

• livzy
  • Super Waygook

• April 21, 2012, 09:08:25 pm
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 07:42:31 am »
Is it me, or is the English used in this thread absolutely, completely diabolical?  ::)

(not you, flasyb)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 07:44:40 am by livzy »