Read 1563 times

New contract after commencement of teaching
« on: June 25, 2012, 10:08:06 pm »
Hi there,

As I am pretty much sure, there has been a lot of postings about private schools making their teachers doing odd stuff after arrival here.  Well, my
question relates to one of those irregularities and any help, how simple even, would be appreciated.

We are four foreigner teachers working at a private school in Banseok, Daejeon.  After two very suspicious dismissals of foreigner teachers the past three months (they were both accused of some criminal acts that could not be proven 10 days before the expiration of their contract) our principal has now issued us with a new contract that we need to sign, evoking the old agreement.  The problem we have is that a lot of the material clauses has been changed and if we refuse to sign it, she will either fire us (and surely she will dig up something to involve Government officials as she is as devious as that) or she will let us stay on on our old agreement, have us work for her for a full year, and then do the same to all of us as she did with our colleagues that just left (or rather had to leave)...

Our question and urgent plead is this:  Can anyone refer us to any legal council that we can seek to help us in getting out of our contracts asap, because we are screwed either way. 

All your comments are very much appreciated. 
Thanks

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
Re: New contract after commencement of teaching
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 01:04:01 pm »
If you are screwed either way, wait till the appropriate payday, whenever that shall be, all of you empty your bank account and then all of you walk en masse.

What could possibly happen if you're screwed either way? It's not illegal to quit you know, you're not in prison, although it may feel like it from time to time.

I seriously doubt you'll get help officially, and if you try she'll can the lot of you as soon as is doable for her without causing a disruption to her business.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 03:28:20 pm »
My question to YOU is this:

Why are you posting your question on this forum, for native speaking English teachers, when you clearly are no such thing?

You sound like a fairly skilled, but by no means fluent, English-speaking Korean. I guess you COULD be Fillpino or Pakistani or Nigerian, something like that, but I doubt it.

Why are you asking us? You registered for this forum JUST to ask this question? Why? Why not ask it on some Korean fourm somewhere? They'd know your circumstances better than anyone here, and probably could give better advice.

If you just want to know whether you can write well enough to fool native speakers into thinking you, too, are one, the answer is: no, you can't. Sorry.

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 06:37:40 pm »
Why are you posting your question on this forum, for native speaking English teachers...

Who says this forum is only for native English speaking teachers?
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 08:13:57 pm »
Why are you posting your question on this forum, for native speaking English teachers...

Who says this forum is only for native English speaking teachers?

Ditto.

What in the OPs message gave the idea he was not a E-2/proper NET teacher.  Besides maybe the grammar.

New contract signed or not signed, this will likely not end well.  You sign, OP is screwed a bit and later likely fired/let go.  Does not sign is really screwed and will be fired sooner.

On a Daejeon facebook group somebody asked a question that I suspect was in relation to this post.  Person  was South African.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 12:29:50 pm »
OK, OK. I apologize if the OP is in fact a NET. It sounded like a non-native speaker to me based on the vocabulary, not the grammar. I have a number of SA friends here, from all different parts of the country, and I can't imagine any of them writing like that. But obviously I don't know for certain.

I don't believe this forum is or should be blocked to KETs or whoever. But when it's called 'Waygook', meaning 'foreigner' in Korean, I think it's fair to say it's designed principally for NETs. I just find the cases of obvious Koreans posting meaningless, virtually empty or totally unhelpful messages/topics unfortunate. Sometimes they can be of help, but I don't think it's clear that that is a common occurrence based on what I've seen posted here. 

• steven1080
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2011, 08:57:52 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 02:38:51 pm »
The poster's English abilities are irrevelant. This posting is about contract issues.
So many people complain about how Koreans treat outsiders and than write about
who should be allowed to post here.  Many native teachers here did not study English
and we are not hired to teach the finer points of grammar.  My M.A. in Mathematics
is a fine degree but does says nothing about my English ability. I think the original poster
has a advanced degree from a top school but their major was not English.