Read 1862 times

• Joben
  • Explorer

• September 06, 2011, 01:19:55 pm
    • South Korea
I want to stay in korea but I don't have a bachelors
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:54:55 pm »
Hi I'm sorry to trouble you but I was wondering if I could get some advice. I'm currently an english teacher in korea. My contract is ending at the end of july and I tried extending my contract but my application was declined. I want to stay in korea but I don't have bachelors degree so I can't get a working visa. I want to get a student visa but I missed the deadline to most universities. I could go to a language university but I don't have a lot of money. Does anyone have any idea how I could stay in korea? How much can I earn tutoring? Can I get a student visa from attending a hagwon? Thanks for the help!  :) :) :)

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
Re: I want to stay in korea but I don't have a bachelors
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 07:18:24 pm »
Without at least a bachelors degree you can not legally teach English in Korea.  (Well one way exists the TALK Program). Even on a student visa that allows work, you can not teach English.

You could jump back and forth to Japan and stay on a tourist visa.  Once again you are not legally allowed to teach or tutor. It is a tourist visa. Plus that comes with it's own risk from being deported and fined.  To being denied permission of being allowed in Korea for 5 plus years.   It can be done, but you will responsible for yourself from apartment to banking.  Which gets harder when you are on a tourist visa.  You could tutor, but it will take work, but once again illegal. 

Still, I am confused how did you get a job as an English teacher without a bachelors?  Where you in the TALK program?

Check out the HiKorea website for information on immigration and visas.

Maybe you could try for a work holiday visa if your home country and Korea have an agreement.  Even then it takes time and you have to apply out of country.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
Re: I want to stay in korea but I don't have a bachelors
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 07:20:10 pm »
Hi I'm sorry to trouble you but I was wondering if I could get some advice. I'm currently an english teacher in korea. My contract is ending at the end of july and I tried extending my contract but my application was declined. I want to stay in korea but I don't have bachelors degree so I can't get a working visa. I want to get a student visa but I missed the deadline to most universities. I could go to a language university but I don't have a lot of money. Does anyone have any idea how I could stay in korea? How much can I earn tutoring? Can I get a student visa from attending a hagwon? Thanks for the help!  :) :) :)

I'm going to assume you are not 'illegal' and are currently in K-land on an E-2 with the TaLK program. If that is indeed the case, your only alternative is to leave the country and come back on a tourist visa. Kimmi will not give you a student visa to attend a hogwon/hagwon/hakwon. You can earn as much as 'the traffic will bear' tutoring... but be aware you will be subject to possible: fines, detention, deportation (at your expense) and imprisonment.

EDIT: Damnit! Skippy 'beat me to it' while I was typing... LOL.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 07:27:28 pm by cruisemonkey »
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.