Read 2941 times

• pjhow2000
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2011, 07:06:07 am
    • korea
Epik- do we not get paid for going to the banK?
« on: June 21, 2012, 10:57:53 am »
In teh 1o months that I've been here, I have left school maybe 3 or 4 times to go to the bank an hour before school finishes.  My co-teacher who does everything by the book has suggested that I will bot be paid for this.  I am with Epik-is she right?
thanks

• gangwon
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 24, 2011, 08:07:24 am
    • Gangwon Do
Re: Epik- do we not get paid for going to the banK?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 11:00:25 am »
If all your absences add up to 8 hours you will lose a day pay. If it is less than 8 you wont lose pay.

• cracker
  • Veteran

• April 04, 2011, 12:20:11 pm
    • Gangwon-do
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 12:06:28 pm »
If all your absences add up to 8 hours you will lose a day pay. If it is less than 8 you wont lose pay.

Or you will lose a days hol instead.......

Ask to see a record of your NEIS account:

http://neis.kwe.go.kr/EP/web/login/acube_login_int.jsp

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 12:26:38 pm »
Check your EPIK contract Article 14-5, Gangwon is correct. It really quite grosses me out, however, that Korean teachers (mine anyway) can do things when they have no classes and some of us have to fill out paperwork and/or beg to get important stuff done - like banking - which conflict with our working hours.

My school is quite lenient in this and lets me leave early if classes are finished and I have to go the the bank or something. I always ask and don't ask often.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

• theTazz
  • Veteran

• March 30, 2011, 08:33:51 am
    • Jeju Island
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 01:37:28 pm »
I leave early one afternoon a month to go to the bank (I always ask my co-teacher first, obviously). Because my schools are out in the sticks and the bank closes at 4, I usually have to leave quite early. I've never lost a vacation day for this, although if you added up all the time it would definitely be more than 8 hours. One of my schools (new, young, by-the-book co-teacher) threatened me with this recently; fortunately I never leave that school early as I usually have too much other stuff to do.

I'm really lucky that both my other schools have been lenient and understanding.

I think losing vacation days for doing something essential like going to the bank (or the POE or immigration) is really unfair.

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 01:50:17 pm »
Yup, the 8 hour-rule is how it works. It's actually the same for Korean teachers too.
If your school is by the book, keep an eye on your tab. If you're sitting at 9-10 hours, might be worth taking a half-day off at some point..  ;D

That being said, many schools don't enforce it. If you're out in the sticks, and no bank nearby, approach your co-teacher and ask her for help. Tell her that you need her to come with the bank to you, so you can setup online banking, because you really don't want your time off to be deducted. Or, that you need her help to use the machine, to pay your bills.. or something. When your problem now becomes her problem, she'll be a lot more inclined to let you leave an hour early once in while to pay those bills :D

• SBracken
  • Expert Waygook

• March 07, 2011, 07:41:22 am
    • Pohang, S Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 02:50:10 pm »
No, you don't get paid for doing a personal errand. Essential errand? yes, most definitely. But personal. Last year my school was fine with letting me leave 30 minutes early to pay my bills (or other similar things: immigration, hospital- both, may I add, in my case, were for school/EPIK requirements) as long as it didn't conflict with classes. This year though, they've gotten pretty stickler. I almost had to use personal (ie unpayed) time to do banking, get my new contract's med check, and and sort out immigration paperwork. My awesome CT smoothed it over with the VP, and instead I got a couple hours accrued off turned into a 'sick day'. In addition, they don't like me leaving early even though they're deducting time (and even though I have nothing better to do). It sucks, and most people's schools will be practical about the necessity of your chore and the fact that the banks aren't open when you get off work, but they're under no obligation to be so.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 07:11:03 am »
No, you don't get paid for doing a personal errand. Essential errand? yes, most definitely. But personal. Last year my school was fine with letting me leave 30 minutes early to pay my bills (or other similar things: immigration, hospital- both, may I add, in my case, were for school/EPIK requirements) as long as it didn't conflict with classes. This year though, they've gotten pretty stickler. I almost had to use personal (ie unpayed) time to do banking, get my new contract's med check, and and sort out immigration paperwork. My awesome CT smoothed it over with the VP, and instead I got a couple hours accrued off turned into a 'sick day'. In addition, they don't like me leaving early even though they're deducting time (and even though I have nothing better to do). It sucks, and most people's schools will be practical about the necessity of your chore and the fact that the banks aren't open when you get off work, but they're under no obligation to be so.

I agree with your personal errands idea. However, medical check and immigration are not personal in my opinion (or my schools). They are directly related with my ability to continue teaching in my position. Therefore they are official, and I have never been asked to take holidays, I just sign out as 'official leave'
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• SBracken
  • Expert Waygook

• March 07, 2011, 07:41:22 am
    • Pohang, S Korea
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 07:20:44 am »

I agree with your personal errands idea. However, medical check and immigration are not personal in my opinion (or my schools). They are directly related with my ability to continue teaching in my position. Therefore they are official, and I have never been asked to take holidays, I just sign out as 'official leave'

I also briefly attempted that argument >_< I got the impression that their answer was: yes it's necessary to teach there, nevertheless, it's still my responsibility.

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 08:01:37 am »

Official word from GEPIK is that it can be taken off as personal time.  While I can see the argument for medical check to be allowed without deduction since it's the school that requires it, immigration is a different issue.  Immigration is really just about us.  An F visa holder, for instance, wouldn't need to take that time off.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.