Read 2696 times

Animal Fights! Complete 1st year after school class lesson
« on: June 19, 2012, 05:06:59 pm »
I did this lesson with a boy's first year mixed-level after school class and they loved it, and this class is reluctant to do anything.

The theme was animals. First I did a hot seat game where they had to make their teammate, sitting with his back to the screen, guess the animal.

Then I gave them a worksheet where they had to race to match the animal name to the name for the baby animal - dog and puppy, bear and cub, butterfly and caterpillar, that sort of thing. I let them use dictionaries. First team to complete it got some candy.

Then we watched some National Geographic Youtube videos of animals fighting. Before, I took a show of hands to see who though which animal would win - the shark or the octopus? The hippo or the crocodile? Afterwards, I would ask them two questions about the clip and give them a piece of candy if they were listening hard enough to know the answer.

They really got into it, and it was a nicely-paced lesson: no time to get bored. I hope you like it!

• seanpadraic
  • Waygookin

• February 24, 2012, 09:10:45 pm
    • Gwangju, South Korea
Re: Animal Fights! Complete 1st year after school class lesson
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 07:26:00 am »
This looks great! I have my final afterschool class of the semester this afternoon and I had run out of ideas. So, I am going to steal this!

Thanks!

How long did this lesson take and what size class did you do it with?

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 09:22:15 am »
I did a lesson about baby animals and also reviewed different names for baby animals. So here is my lesson. It only lasted about 20 min. The video with it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C3zgYW_FAM

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:42:22 am »
It took the whole 45 minutes and I only got through about 5 of the videos. I have 18 students in my class.

The hot seat game took about 10 or 15 minutes, the worksheet about another 15, and did the videos for the rest of the time.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:54:11 am by weenertron »