Read 75543 times

• Glitch852
  • Explorer

• March 28, 2012, 12:14:45 pm
    • Gwangju, South Korea
Re: Boiler/Heater (Gas) Control 101
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2012, 03:32:59 pm »
This is quite possibly the most helpful thread ever. hahahah thanks very much! No one explained to me how to use this thing and I've been pushing buttons and trying to translate every word on this thing using google translate....=/

• tmeinecke
  • Adventurer

• March 27, 2012, 10:41:04 am
    • Chuncheon, Gangwon-do, South Korea
    more
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 08:18:52 am »
Oh wow, huge thanks for this.... I think you just made my mornings a bit more pleasant considering I've been taking cold showers my first week.

• teach peach
  • Explorer

• March 27, 2012, 02:22:25 pm
    • Gochang, South Korea
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 02:47:34 pm »
I hope you can help me with this.  My under-floor heating seems to be broken or something.   I turn it on the way the landlord showed me (and the same way my neighbour does his) but my room NEVER heats up.  I tried talking to my landlord but he doesnt seem to understand.  Are there any pipes or stuff I need to open?  This is really worrying me because i dont want to pay for something that isn't working. 

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 04:07:51 pm »
I have a green light that comes on and then sometimes a red light... but I have yet to feel that warm feeling on the toes!!! not sure what I'm doing wrong!!! I'll check the manuals though... nice one!!!

• tmeinecke
  • Adventurer

• March 27, 2012, 10:41:04 am
    • Chuncheon, Gangwon-do, South Korea
    more
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 08:39:47 pm »
I think I mightve spoke too soon.... my water will stay really hot for about 20 secs and then cool down to maybe room temperature at best for the remainder of it being on.... Pretty sure its my water heater and not me then

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2012, 02:56:21 pm »
Hi everyone. I'm a new arrival in Korea and was hoping someone might be able to help me out with the boiler in my apartment. I can figure out how to turn on the heating, but I'm a bit confused as to what exactly all the buttons on the control panel do. There are switches on either side off the control panel, each with 3 options (top, middle, bottom) and as far as I know the left switch is for water temperature and the right switch is for the heating settings. Other than that, on the front of the panel there's an 'on' button and another button that I'm not certain about. I've asked my co-teacher, but he said he was uncertain how to work the system, and my landlord speaks no English, so I'm a bit confused about the whole thing. I've done an online search, but haven't found anything to help me and what I have found is not in English.
The main problem that I can't figure out is how to heat the water without also turning on the floor heating. Everytime I have to take a shower the entire apartment is heated and it's probably going to end up costing me a fortune. Does anyone out there have the same boiler system or can anyone help me here. I've uploaded some pictures and would really appreciate some help or advice.

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2012, 08:27:22 am »
Thank god for this thread. Last night was my first night in my apartment and my co-teacher didn't explain much of anything to me. All she suggested was that I turn the whole system off to save money. I don't have internet yet, so I just kept pushing buttons and ended up taking a scalding hot shower. The thing went up to 80 C. I think I might understand how it works now, though. I hope...

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2012, 05:32:25 pm »
My control looks completely different. Does anyone have the one I use and if they do please can they tell me how it works. I'm too scared to touch anything but the power button.

I've attached a picture of it.

• sharchun
  • Explorer

• April 29, 2012, 10:30:42 pm
    • Masan, South Korea
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2012, 11:06:38 pm »
So that's what the green button was for! I always just turned everything on. Now, I know. Thanks!

• hwana
  • Expert Waygook

• September 29, 2010, 09:19:04 pm
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2012, 10:20:06 am »
My control looks completely different. Does anyone have the one I use and if they do please can they tell me how it works. I'm too scared to touch anything but the power button.

I've attached a picture of it.

You've probably figured it out by now, but just in case...

Top left switch: Floor heating AND hot water / Just hot water

Left hand dial: Floor heating temperature. The setting just below 50 (외출) is for when you leave your apartment. It maintains a low temperature to avoid the pipes freezing.

Bottom left button: Fast hot water (not really sure what this means... heats it up quicker somehow?)

Top right switch: Hot water temperature control (LOW / MID / HIGH)

Right hand dial: Floor heating timer. Can set the floor heating to turn off after a period of time (12 hours to 1 hour). The setting after 1 hour (연속) is for constant heat.

Bottom right button: Power!

As it's set up in the picture, your floor will heat up slightly every time you turn the power on as it's set to 외출 mode (the setting for when you leave your apartment). Until it starts to get cold again in winter it'd be best to move the top-left switch over to the right hand side, so it's only heating up hot water for the taps/shower.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:24:51 am by thatkidpercy »

• gmlmog009
  • Explorer

• May 13, 2012, 08:15:45 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2012, 03:13:59 pm »
Thanks for this! I usually just switch it on the whole thing before I want to shower and then switch it off when I get out of the shower. My gas bill last month was 190 000won. This was before I knew that I had to pay gas bills. But I'm looking forward to getting home and trying this out.

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2012, 07:41:55 pm »
Thank you Thatkidpercy! Strangely enough, I got all the translations wrong and just gave up and set it back to the original setting you saw in the picture and used that. Turns out I have to run the water first before it'll start heating up.

I've changed all my sticky notes on the machine.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:03:19 pm by gidget »

• UknowsI
  • Adventurer

• October 21, 2011, 02:05:18 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2012, 12:56:09 pm »
Hi everyone. I'm a new arrival in Korea and was hoping someone might be able to help me out with the boiler in my apartment. I can figure out how to turn on the heating, but I'm a bit confused as to what exactly all the buttons on the control panel do. There are switches on either side off the control panel, each with 3 options (top, middle, bottom) and as far as I know the left switch is for water temperature and the right switch is for the heating settings. Other than that, on the front of the panel there's an 'on' button and another button that I'm not certain about. I've asked my co-teacher, but he said he was uncertain how to work the system, and my landlord speaks no English, so I'm a bit confused about the whole thing. I've done an online search, but haven't found anything to help me and what I have found is not in English.
The main problem that I can't figure out is how to heat the water without also turning on the floor heating. Everytime I have to take a shower the entire apartment is heated and it's probably going to end up costing me a fortune. Does anyone out there have the same boiler system or can anyone help me here. I've uploaded some pictures and would really appreciate some help or advice.
I have the same control as in your first picture. Left button pre-heats the water, so you can push it before you take a shower to get the water hot a little faster. I have the left switch on top and the right one in middle, and I don't have any problems with the ondol getting turned on.

I have another problem these days though. I get error ID 10 when I try to use it, and no warm water will come out. I can of course call a repair man, but if it's something I can fix myself, I would prefer if someone could explain what it means. If I turn it on and off again a few times it usually stop working again. I hear there are some simple problems like air in the valves we can fix ourself, so if that's the case I would like to know.

• blq2sdy
  • Adventurer

• January 03, 2011, 10:54:19 am
    • North Carolina
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2012, 10:48:23 pm »
I have the same control as in your first picture. Left button pre-heats the water, so you can push it before you take a shower to get the water hot a little faster. I have the left switch on top and the right one in middle, and I don't have any problems with the ondol getting turned on.

I have another problem these days though. I get error ID 10 when I try to use it, and no warm water will come out. I can of course call a repair man, but if it's something I can fix myself, I would prefer if someone could explain what it means. If I turn it on and off again a few times it usually stop working again. I hear there are some simple problems like air in the valves we can fix ourself, so if that's the case I would like to know.

What the heck?  That happens to me too!  It doesn't say error ID 10, it just shows either 01 or 03 then starts flashing and no hot water comes out!  I turn it off and on a couple of times and it starts working.  It's not really an issue...except when I forget and I get blasted in the face with frigid water haha :-/

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2012, 08:31:18 pm »
Im so confused!! None of these disruptions seem to match the control panel I have. (cant view the attachments, as haven't met the post requirements) When I moved in my co-teacher told me not to touch it and if I wanted to change anything I should ask my landlord-who doesn't speak any english. I was happy with that until I started reading about how you have to turn them on and off-I don't do this! Now i'm worried i'm going to get a large bill! Does any one else have a system that just stays on all the time?

• hwana
  • Expert Waygook

• September 29, 2010, 09:19:04 pm
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2012, 07:10:40 am »
Im so confused!! None of these disruptions seem to match the control panel I have. (cant view the attachments, as haven't met the post requirements)

You have enough posts now - if you can't find your model, why not post a picture of the panel here?

• rahfh
  • Adventurer

• April 05, 2012, 02:57:17 pm
    • Uijeonbu, South Korea
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2012, 08:11:58 am »
Cold shower this morning  :(  Had a flashing 04 message on my control panel. Didnt stop for a pic, will have to do so later if I cant fix it. Tried the gas range, the gas was still flowing. Unplugged the heater, plugged it back in... and nothing, just goes back to a flashing 04. Bleak.

• gwangsan
  • Adventurer

• June 27, 2012, 01:04:55 pm
    • Busan
Re: Life in Korea Apartment Guide (Washing Machine, Boiler, etc.)
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 07:24:52 am »
Every time I try to turn on my hot water, the 점검 (Google translated it as 'Check' if that helps) light keeps blinking and I can't get any hot water.
I just moved in a couple days ago and I'd rather not take cold showers for a year.

Any hints?

• rahfh
  • Adventurer

• April 05, 2012, 02:57:17 pm
    • Uijeonbu, South Korea
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2012, 11:11:34 am »
Checked that the gas is on? Only suggest this because it happened to me... The outside and inside "taps" where off

• Jax.holmes
  • Explorer

• July 11, 2012, 12:24:41 pm
    • Jinan South Korea
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2012, 01:01:58 pm »
mine it totally different. it has 4 big buttons and and up and down arrow in the middle??

does anyone know how to use those- ive had cold showers for 2 days now :)