Read 73698 times

• fka
  • Veteran

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Boiler/Heater (Gas) Control 101
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2019, 05:24:09 pm »
Boring boiler question here...

Since I moved into my place, it's always released a bit of a sulphuric smell when active, which goes away when the boiler's dormant. I know that the obvious response to this is "Oh my god! A leak!" but the obvious conclusion may not be the correct one. Someone did check the boiler a few months ago and didn't detect anything (admittedly, the gas could've been off for a few hours - I can't remember). Apparently there's an anaerobic bacteria that can grow in boilers that gives off this smell, particularly when the conditions are dark and poorly ventilated, which is true of my boiler closet. Another thing that's keeping me reasonably calm about this is the fact that the kitchen cooker gas doesn't have the distinctive gassy smell - usually the "rotten egg" smell is added by gas companies to warn of gas leaks. I'm not sure if this happens in Korea, but in any case, the gas in the kitchen doesn't smell like the boiler closet. Finally, this has been going on for a long time, and if there were a serious problem I think I'd have felt the impact more directly by now (though I'm also worried that I've subjected myself to some kind of slow poisoning).

I'm ordering a carbon monoxide detector from GMarket, but wondered if anyone else has had a similar issue here in Korea. I'm not sure how useful advice from the US or UK is likely to be.

Thanks!

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2019, 07:41:34 am »
I turned off my boiler and put it on 외출 but then it dropped down to 16C  I decided this morning to leave it on 실내 and put the 희망 temp to 20 in hopes it will catch up.  Is there a problem with that or my boiler?

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2019, 09:10:54 pm »
I turned off my boiler and put it on 외출 but then it dropped down to 16C  I decided this morning to leave it on 실내 and put the 희망 temp to 20 in hopes it will catch up.  Is there a problem with that or my boiler?

On 외출 setting, your boiler will not do any meaningful heating. It will run periodically for a bit to pump some warm water through the pipes, making sure that the water in them wouldn't freeze. But this is not enough to warm up the floor so it wouldn't make a positive difference in the room temperature. Some boiler control panels allow to set a minimum temperature as well on 외출 setting. That way it would do the same freezing preventing runs, and also maintain the set temperature by running for a longer period if the room temp. dips below the set temp.