Read 2750 times

• skdSK2012
  • Explorer

• June 14, 2012, 01:51:26 pm
    • South Korea
Days Off
« on: June 18, 2012, 01:16:40 pm »
My school is trying to count the weekends for part of my vacation time. In the contract it says workdays only. What can I do to make it so they will not count the weekends?

Re: Days Off
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 01:36:11 pm »
As per usual, you should give more details if you want help. Are you with a public school or a hagwon or some other kind? What, specifically, does your contract say?

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 03:04:39 pm »
My public school tried to trick me into signing off my sick days as vacation days and also school holidays. Read every document before you sign it and if you are really distrustful, make copies.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 03:15:09 pm »
My school is trying to count the weekends for part of my vacation time. In the contract it says workdays only. What can I do to make it so they will not count the weekends?

Just be firm.  Ask them to re-read the Korean part of their copy your contract (and double check that you fully understand your contract). and tell them the actual dates you will take.  Also, don't forget, August 15th is a holiday, if your vacation time straddles that date (or is adjacent to that date) then it's another day you don't have to count.

In my contract the tw0 weeks of renewal vacation is calender weeks (so weekends count) but the 8 days of summer vacation is working days, so weekends (and August 15) don't count.  The contract is very clear.

Good luck!

• gangwon
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 24, 2011, 08:07:24 am
    • Gangwon Do
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 03:48:24 pm »
If you're with EPIK, what province are you in? In Gangwon-do we or contract states 35 calendar days per year. This works out as 2 weeks in Summer and 3 in Winter. If you do the maths, that obviously includes weekends, without them it'd be 7 weeks a year. Generally the schools around here count the first weekend, weekends between vacation weeks, but not the final weekend. Some schools will be nice and not count the first weekend giving you an extra 2 days, but the middle weekends will always be counted.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 03:58:25 pm »
My contract is very specific with all holidays being calendar days so weekends must be checked off too, although I am currently trying to point out that the August red day should not count as my holiday days even if my holiday goes through that period.  Some people with the same contract with me were lucky with their schools last year and got 7 working days per week instead...  Mine was by the book.

But, as people have said, check what YOUR contract says as there are many variants floating around out there.

• jon-anon
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2011, 04:03:23 am
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 05:21:08 pm »
Read every document before you sign it and if you are really distrustful, make copies.

Really distrustful nothing, if you're signing a legal, binding document, getting copies is SOP.  That goes for getting documents like a background check or school transcripts too -- if you're going to get one copy, might as well get three just to be sure.

• lolly
  • Explorer

• June 19, 2012, 08:31:00 am
    • yeongdong
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 09:02:57 am »
Can your school force you to take less holiday. We should have 8 days in the summer right?

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 06:07:50 pm »
We should.  I am trying to secure the 8 days at the moment.  I've heard stories that ppl were able to save vacation days and leave/end the contract early.  I've also heard schools being sticklers, saying the 8 days are ONLY to be used in the summer and if they aren't used, they are lost.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 08:36:50 pm »
Shooting from the hip here. 

Three things come to mind
1) They can not use make a Sunday a holiday day.  Per the Labour standards act all employers are to give off a least one day a week.  If one day a week is to be off, then a vacation day can not fall on an already designated holiday/day off.  The labour standards act says that already designated national holidays (red days) are not to be used in an employees alloted time off.
2) Employers are to provide one day holiday for every month worked.  The wording is one paid day off per month.  So in my mind, if your employer is using a Saturday, then they will owe you wages for that Sat.  I am guessing you are not regularly working on Saturdays.  So once again in my logic and thinking.  If you do not work on Saturday, then it does not constitute a paid day.
3)  Working Hours.  Now some hagwons and schools operate 6 days a week.  But if they are not open on a Saturday, then that does not (to me) constitute a paid work day.

Still the thing is check your contract of what it says.  Try to give some leeway.  Hagwons have tricky schedules.  Yet do not be a push over.  Just remember sometimes when you push back, they push back.  So this has the potential to backfire.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.