Read 1444 times

• trendgame
  • Veteran

• August 24, 2011, 04:46:05 pm
    • Gyeongsang-buk do, Yecheon
Lessons based on 'Tell Me More'
« on: June 13, 2012, 12:54:15 pm »
Hello.

To start this school year I did a series of lessons with every class mostly based on the 'Tell Me More' communication task workbook by David Finch (which can be downloaded free of charge here http://www.finchpark.com/books/)

Lesson 1: covers 3 questions, 'How's it going?' ,'What's your name?', and 'What's your favorite?' The final activity is a questionnaire I use to get information about my students and get an idea of their level. Students who finish can turn over and write questions for the sentences. i.e. 'My favorite food is ice-cream' --> 'What is your favorite food?'

Lesson 2: covers Classroom English and contains practice of Can you say that again please?, How do you spell it?, What does it mean?, Can you give me an example? - the example words in this lesson are intentionally high level with the idea that the students start asking these questions when they see a word they don't recognize or understand.

Lesson 3: covers Do you..., Can you..., and Have you... questions and the main activity is a questionnaire where students have to find one student who says 'yes' and one who says 'no' to each question. Students who finish can make their own questions.

Lesson 4: This lesson looked at 4 stories and is a dictation exercise. The idea was to give students a chance to use the language learned in Classroom English lesson - they listen to a dictation of the stories and complete a gap fill - asking for help when needed. This also introduces What's the word after/before....?

Lesson 5: Role-plays. Introduces a load of questions about getting to know someone. There are 16 characters and students must ask questions to find the names of the characters and write them on the work sheet. Questions include How old are you?, Are you married?, What do you do?/What's your job?, What are your hobbies?

I will attach first 3 lessons handouts/materials. And the rest in a separate post.

These lessons are by no means perfect or finished but may come in useful for some people. Please get in touch if you have any questions about the lessons or the materials.

Enjoy!

In teaching you cannot see the fruit of a day's work. It is invisible and remains so, maybe for twenty years.
-- Jacques Barzun

• trendgame
  • Veteran

Re: Lessons based on 'Tell Me More'
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 01:02:21 pm »
Materials and PPTs for second two lessons.

PLEASE SEE PREVIOUS POST FOR LESSON DESCRIPTIONS

Thanks!  :)

In teaching you cannot see the fruit of a day's work. It is invisible and remains so, maybe for twenty years.
-- Jacques Barzun

• trendgame
  • Veteran

Re: Lessons based on 'Tell Me More'
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 01:12:19 pm »
OOps!

Lesson plans for all above lesson. They may not match up to the PPTs exactly as I tend to change things often and not update lesson plans but here they are for anybody interested.

I'm not very good at writing lesson plans so please don't expect much from these!

I came to this world with nothing. And I leave with nothing but love. Everything else is just borrowed.  :D
-- Jacques Barzun