Read 25202 times

Re: citibank online transfer rules
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2017, 08:16:03 pm »
I think the closest branch to you is Daejon. But you only really need to go once to get stuff set up.

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2017, 03:09:49 pm »
I think the closest branch to you is Daejon. But you only really need to go once to get stuff set up.

Thanks, maybe i'll hit them up during Vacay.  Partner it with a trip to Costco to make it more worth the drive, lol.

• gurudanny98
  • Veteran

• September 10, 2010, 02:01:11 pm
    • Busan South Korea
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2017, 03:46:01 pm »
I use Firefox on Windows. There was a time when I couldn't access with that, but they redesigned the site and I have no problems now

• hippo
  • Super Waygook

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2021, 02:50:02 pm »
bump: I know this is an old topic, but I set up a Korean citibank account yesterday and I donít want to see any surprises after I transfer money to the US.

Anybody had problems recently?

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2021, 09:38:20 am »
bump: I know this is an old topic, but I set up a Korean citibank account yesterday and I donít want to see any surprises after I transfer money to the US.

Anybody had problems recently?

Can I ask what papers you needed to set it up? Last time I went they acted like it was so hard etc.....

So, I have a US Citibank account and I don't have a Korean one but my husband does and it was so simple to send. No extra fees, just the exchange rate and it's almost immediate. It was a little confusing in the app, but not too bad. Last time we sent money was maybe 4 months ago. I want my own account though instead of having him do it....don't know  if Korean vs foreigner has anything to do with it...

• hippo
  • Super Waygook

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2021, 08:55:20 pm »
Can I ask what papers you needed to set it up? Last time I went they acted like it was so hard etc.....

So, I have a US Citibank account and I don't have a Korean one but my husband does and it was so simple to send. No extra fees, just the exchange rate and it's almost immediate. It was a little confusing in the app, but not too bad. Last time we sent money was maybe 4 months ago. I want my own account though instead of having him do it....don't know  if Korean vs foreigner has anything to do with it...

I wish I could give you a better answer, but I cannot remember exactly what I filled out that day.  Before I went to Citibank, I went to get a new Credit Card to build up points and work toward getting a better tax rebate at Lotte Department Store.  I had to fill out a ton of forms for this, so I had already bend through a lot of tedious, mindnumbing forms.  I am no anti-masker, but having something on your face that limits your opportunites to stay hydrated does not help the situation either, making everything seem more troublesome.

My wife went with me to Citibank, and the customer service at the bank was poor.  Before I gave her my information, the representative lectured me, telling me I had to use it more than once even though I never suggested I would do otherwise.  Then, I had to fill out forms about my employment, how much I made, my visa status, my passport, and some forms relating to US taxes since I am a US citizen.  That's all I can remember.  The entire time I could here a police officer complaining about how hard it was to get CCTV footage he said needed from there comparing it to his experiences with other bank branches.  I do not know if it was that particular branch or if that is just Citibank in general.   

I have been to the bank and had clerks tell me something was "impossible" when they did not know how to do it.  But this is the first time that the clerk's attitude seemed rude and impatient.

If I had to judge solely based on what I observed on my only visit to one particular branch, I would conclude it had nothing to do with being foreigner but rather just poor customer service.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 08:58:21 pm by hippo »

• JohnD
  • Adventurer

• August 02, 2016, 08:56:46 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2021, 07:28:23 am »
I wish I could give you a better answer, but I cannot remember exactly what I filled out that day.  Before I went to Citibank, I went to get a new Credit Card to build up points and work toward getting a better tax rebate at Lotte Department Store.  I had to fill out a ton of forms for this, so I had already bend through a lot of tedious, mindnumbing forms.  I am no anti-masker, but having something on your face that limits your opportunites to stay hydrated does not help the situation either, making everything seem more troublesome.

My wife went with me to Citibank, and the customer service at the bank was poor.  Before I gave her my information, the representative lectured me, telling me I had to use it more than once even though I never suggested I would do otherwise.  Then, I had to fill out forms about my employment, how much I made, my visa status, my passport, and some forms relating to US taxes since I am a US citizen.  That's all I can remember.  The entire time I could here a police officer complaining about how hard it was to get CCTV footage he said needed from there comparing it to his experiences with other bank branches.  I do not know if it was that particular branch or if that is just Citibank in general.   

I have been to the bank and had clerks tell me something was "impossible" when they did not know how to do it.  But this is the first time that the clerk's attitude seemed rude and impatient.

If I had to judge solely based on what I observed on my only visit to one particular branch, I would conclude it had nothing to do with being foreigner but rather just poor customer service.

I heard that you need at least 20 million won in your account or you have to pay some sort of penalty. Is that true?

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2021, 01:13:18 pm »
I'm wondering about the exchange rate that you get when you transfer KRW.  The reason I ask is when transferring from Citibank Australia to Citibank Korea there seems to be about a 3% fee built into the exchange rate.  This might be a Citibank Australia thing.

I find Citibank Korea to be about the most Xenophobic bank in Korea and only signed up for the "free transfers".  They won't do mortgages for permanent residents whereas the old KEB had even provided mortgages to E2s.  I guess Citibank thinks you will take your apartment that you have at least 40% equity in with you when you do your midnight run.