Read 25217 times

citibank online transfer rules
« on: June 07, 2012, 12:41:28 pm »
I just sent money home using citibank and it was very effective.
must have Korean citi acct. and US citi acct. (which you can start by using family member's US address)
then start online banking for both and you are on your way.
FREE and INSTANT transfer.  NO middleman fee, and the money was in my acct within 1 minute.  Even I was surprised, as I figured there would be some problem arising from the Korean citi acct or something.  But nothing. Just free instant transfer and no speaking to a lame bank teller in konglish for 45 minutes.   
http://jefferyma.blogspot.kr/2012/02/how-to-get-free-transfer-from-south.html

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
Re: citibank online transfer rules
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 01:18:08 pm »
Thanks for the tip, I use KEB and they are great but of course you have to pay the other bank in my home country (South Africa). There are Citibanks in SA and I am wondering if it is free too to SA and the Philippines (or only to the US). I have a Citibank account here as well. If anyone knows please let me know.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 02:52:30 pm »
Thanks for the tip, I use KEB and they are great but of course you have to pay the other bank in my home country (South Africa). There are Citibanks in SA and I am wondering if it is free too to SA and the Philippines (or only to the US). I have a Citibank account here as well. If anyone knows please let me know.
From what they told me, Citi------>Citi transfers are free anywhere around the world.  I've only tried Korea to USA, but it worked so I think it's pretty legit.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 03:26:30 pm »
Thanks, I will look into it, perhaps it works everywhere, that would be great.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• ses1985
  • Waygookin

• November 07, 2011, 10:14:14 am
    • Yangsan
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 06:09:21 pm »
Yup its awesome! My school pays into a KEB account and then I transfer to my korean citi bank account and then do a global transfer to my US cit bank account. The WHOLE process is free :-) After a while all the fees and stuff add up, especially the terrible transfer rates lately!

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 08:53:33 pm »
Yup its awesome! My school pays into a KEB account and then I transfer to my korean citi bank account and then do a global transfer to my US cit bank account. The WHOLE process is free :-) After a while all the fees and stuff add up, especially the terrible transfer rates lately!

Yeah, exchange rates already eat enough of my salary....I don't want to pay extra fees and citibank's global transfer is pretty damn sweet because it's FREE.  Also, it's in my US citi acct within minutes.  This is probably one of the best kept secrets among the waygooks.  Everyone uses KEB or NH and pays the fees and waits 48 hours.  There's really no need to do that these days.  CITI, people!

• rach229
  • Veteran

• September 08, 2011, 07:57:51 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 08:50:58 am »
My friend told me about this and I signed up for a Korean citibank account. I have yet to sign up for a US account yet because I am having problems with the online banking. I went to try and figure out how to do an online transfer and it said web members cannot access that area. When I tried to called the English service they asked for my CIS number and and after 5 minutes of me continually hitting 0 (because usually when you hit 0 you are just transferred to a person) and then the automated service said they would connect me to someone but then hung up on me. I just tried last night but I am already frustrated! How did you set up online transfer? I talked to my friend and I have already had problems that he never had. I have terrible luck  :(

• Engrish
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2012, 10:56:14 am
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 09:11:22 am »
For those of you who have NH, how do you transfer money from NH to CitiKorea?
My work hours are 8-5 and I was only able to open the Citibank account on a red day.

• rach229
  • Veteran

• Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 09:14:36 am »
My work hours are 8-5 and I was only able to open the Citibank account on a red day.

You can do it via ATM! All you need is your citibank account number and then just do a transfer at the ATM. It is super easy. I was just charged 900won to transfer between banks!

• Engrish
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2012, 10:56:14 am
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 09:20:07 am »

You can do it via ATM! All you need is your citibank account number and then just do a transfer at the ATM. It is super easy. I was just charged 900won to transfer between banks!

D'oh! I literally just smacked my head for not thinking of something so obvious. I will do this today, thanks!!

• rach229
  • Veteran

• Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 10:37:12 am »

D'oh! I literally just smacked my head for not thinking of something so obvious. I will do this today, thanks!!

It is ok! I have had those moments too! My issue is trying to transfer money online from the CitiKorea to CitiUS! I haven't opened an account yet in the US because I wanted to figure out how to do an online transfer first. So far no luck, it just tells me I'm not allowed to access transfers. If you figure this out please let me know! It is probably some super easy fix and I will go "d'oh" and smack myself in the head!

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 10:38:53 am »
My friend told me about this and I signed up for a Korean citibank account. I have yet to sign up for a US account yet because I am having problems with the online banking. I went to try and figure out how to do an online transfer and it said web members cannot access that area. When I tried to called the English service they asked for my CIS number and and after 5 minutes of me continually hitting 0 (because usually when you hit 0 you are just transferred to a person) and then the automated service said they would connect me to someone but then hung up on me. I just tried last night but I am already frustrated! How did you set up online transfer? I talked to my friend and I have already had problems that he never had. I have terrible luck  :(

You absolutely can set up online banking with your korean Citi acct.   BUT, it is a little complicated.  You have to install a bunch of security features on your computer and use a little password card they gave you at the bank.  Take a Korean friend or co-worker there (just offer them luinch to help you or something) and they will get it straightened out.

• rach229
  • Veteran

• Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 11:48:01 am »

You absolutely can set up online banking with your korean Citi acct.   BUT, it is a little complicated.  You have to install a bunch of security features on your computer and use a little password card they gave you at the bank.  Take a Korean friend or co-worker there (just offer them luinch to help you or something) and they will get it straightened out.

Oh I have all that done. I sign on to my online banking and can see my balance but when I click on a transfer or overseas remittance it says that web members are not allowed access. This is where I am frustrated and confused.

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 12:30:54 am »
hmm yeah that is very strange.  I click on remittance/transfers and go to "citibank global transfers" and it works fine.  Just enter my US acct # and home address, etc....Maybe go into the bank with a laptop or tablet and show them the problem?

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 03:17:08 pm »
ERGH. SERIOUSLY>!?!?!?

I asked Citi Korea this when I first moved here and the teller told me it was like 50,000 W per transfer to a Citi account in the States.

• Orson
  • Veteran

• May 16, 2012, 09:50:45 pm
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 12:05:25 pm »
I asked Citi Korea this when I first moved here and the teller told me it was like 50,000 W per transfer to a Citi account in the States.

I was told by Citibank US that they charge $10 to receive an incoming transfer, no matter if the sending bank is a Citibank or not.  Not that it means anything, since I don't trust the teenage customer service agents who undoubtedly work there to spend too much time finding the correct answer to such a relatively obscure question.

I'm going to open a Citibank account, since I'm tired of losing about $40 bucks a month on KEB's transfer to my home bank.  Can anyone recommend a Citibank branch in Seoul?  I have one in my town, but I'd rather open an account at one where I was confident in their English-speaking skills. 

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 01:30:33 pm »
This is absolutely not true.  I COMPLETED THE CITI TRANSFER LAST MONTH for 6 million won and it was absolutely free of any charges/transfer fees.  Exchange rate was up to the minute and there were ZERO fees.  Money was in my acct. within minutes.

• rach229
  • Veteran

• Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 01:00:11 pm »
YAY! I finally figured it all out! There are two different ways to sign on to the online banking for the Korean site. There is a Web member sign on and then internet banking sign on. I didn't see the internet banking sign on at first. In order to send money overseas you have to sign on to the internet banking and not the web member log-on. In case anyone else was as confused and frustrated as I was... or maybe I'm just and idiot :(

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 09:08:55 pm »
WOW all I have to say is that this was SOOOOO WORTH the hassle of signing up for internet banking and EVERYTHING. Just sent money home and it was in my U.S. Citibank account instantaneously!! I am SOOO happy I signed up for U.S. Citibank before I came to Korea (especially when I found out my school only lets us teachers open up Korean Citibank Accounts!)

• rphofer
  • Explorer

• August 28, 2013, 01:20:37 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 01:27:36 pm »
What browser are you guys using to access online banking?  Mac Firefox doesn't seem to be working.  I have my USB key when I accessed the site at a PC Room, but at home I can't access my account.