Read 25201 times

Re: citibank online transfer rules
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 03:39:06 pm »
If a Korean website is acting weird, try using it with Internet Explorer, preferably some antiquated version like IE6 or 8. Also be careful because it will try to install a bunch of borderline spyware "anti-virus" or "security" programs, so turn on your pop-up blocker. Yep, all the hokum about Korea's internet being cutting-edge is BS.

I need to look into this Citibank runaround thing, I guess making a US account online even while here should be easy. Probably much harder to walk into a Citibank here and bend them to your will so the account actually participates in the global banking network. NH sure doesn't, despite the Visa on their cards.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 01:08:34 pm »
Does anyone know what the penalty/fine will be if I open and close a Korean Citi bank account all within one month?

I have just opened a U.S. one and plan on opening a Korean one next week. I just want it to get my money home, since I'm leaving Korea in a month. But, will it cost me much to close out the Korean account, anyone know?

• gotngoidea
  • Veteran

• August 28, 2012, 09:15:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 02:51:55 pm »
Transfers are 5,000원 (five thousand won) to Australian Citibanks.
You can choose if the fee comes out of your Korean account or your Australian account.
Super convenient and cheap when you know the exchange rate is really good.

The Citibank online remittance is a bit complicated. Apparently Korean Citibank is not part of the Global Citibank network.
I had to send my money as a 'remittance' and it worked pretty well. You need is the address and swift codes of your main bank back home and your residential address your Korean Citibank is registered under.

• amya
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2011, 09:55:40 am
    • Yeoju
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 03:29:57 pm »
Don't forget that you have to sign up to do the global remittance. That might be why you can't access that info.

And use Citibank Global remittance and it should work.

• Artisis
  • Veteran

• August 21, 2013, 04:52:28 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 03:55:41 pm »
With all this talk about free transfers (I am currently with US bank and NH), I am planning on opening a US citibank account when I visit home this summer. Is it possible to open a Korean citibank account while in the United States? A few said they have opened US accounts in Korea.

• alexc2000
  • Veteran

• October 13, 2012, 10:20:21 pm
    • Gwangju, South Korea
    more
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 11:24:55 pm »
Also beware of monthly fees:
http://www.consumerismcommentary.com/citibank-charge-20-checking-account/

For example, the savings plus account has a monthly fee of $20 if your balance is below $15,000.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 07:27:03 am »
With all this talk about free transfers (I am currently with US bank and NH), I am planning on opening a US citibank account when I visit home this summer. Is it possible to open a Korean citibank account while in the United States? A few said they have opened US accounts in Korea.

no. to open a citibank for a Korea, you must go (in person) to citibank. it sucks, but thems the rules.  i had a hard time doing it, because there are no branches close to where i am. the nearest one is two hours away...grrrr.

as for the USA side, i ended up having a family member open the account, and transfer to them. turned out to be a headache, but yes, we didnt pay a 'middle bank' fee
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

• raider576
  • Adventurer

• December 12, 2010, 05:35:51 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 10:21:22 am »
I'm touching upon a few things that I didn't see anyone mention yet.

1) Citibank America and maybe others have fees.  Someone mentioned the 15,000 limit but the most basic checking account requires 1,500 dollars or a $10 fee to my recollection.  I use it but haven't been below the threshold in some time.  This is about what  most people will spend a month if they send money home anyway. 

2) there are at least two ways to send money.  Citibank global transfer which is free (up to 1000 dollars a day and 5000 or 10,000 a month). Also there are wire transfers which still impose fees.  You can't break the global transfer limit by paying, if you want to send more money at once or in a month you must use a wire transfer.

• ricosuavez
  • Adventurer

• July 10, 2014, 12:06:33 pm
    • United States -- Gangwon
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 06:32:06 am »
I'm trying to set up a citibank account, but there are no actual citibank offices in my state (Colorado). I tried to sign up online, but there's a check box that asks if I plan on making foreign transfers. When I check the box, the site says I must sign up in person, at an actual bank location.

Any one else having this issue? or know how to get around it?

Thanks!
I have no idea what I'm doing.

• vanzant
  • Waygookin

• May 10, 2012, 09:50:10 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 07:47:15 am »
I'm trying to set up a citibank account, but there are no actual citibank offices in my state (Colorado). I tried to sign up online, but there's a check box that asks if I plan on making foreign transfers. When I check the box, the site says I must sign up in person, at an actual bank location.

Any one else having this issue? or know how to get around it?

Thanks!

You should not check that box.   That account will not be sending money internationally.  You will only be receiving money so you do not need to check that box. :)
youtube.com/educateyouseoul
Josh VanZant
educateyourseoul@gmail.com

• ricosuavez
  • Adventurer

• July 10, 2014, 12:06:33 pm
    • United States -- Gangwon
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2014, 12:36:59 am »
Thank you! problem solved
I have no idea what I'm doing.

• MissPham
  • Explorer

• January 16, 2014, 10:21:54 pm
    • USA
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 10:12:42 am »
Can someone do a step by step process on global transfer reminttance thing? I came up to the part where it says intermediate fee charged: click applicant or beneficiary. I have no clue what this charge is for.

• farzshmarz
  • Adventurer

• April 29, 2014, 03:48:17 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 11:07:37 am »
Can someone do a step by step process on global transfer reminttance thing? I came up to the part where it says intermediate fee charged: click applicant or beneficiary. I have no clue what this charge is for.

This site has the best explanation.
http://jefferyma.blogspot.kr/2012/02/how-to-get-free-transfer-from-south.html

• nermal
  • Veteran

• September 26, 2012, 08:07:32 am
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 11:59:38 am »
FYI US Citi slightly increased the monthly basic checking account fee from $10 to $12. So keep that balance above $1500. 

• kjritchhart
  • Veteran

• September 12, 2013, 01:38:04 pm
    • Yeoju-eup
    more
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 12:14:36 pm »
Does anyone know Citibank Koreas hours?

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 12:23:34 pm »
FYI US Citi slightly increased the monthly basic checking account fee from $10 to $12. So keep that balance above $1500.
Though, I read that they also let you keep it free if you make one or two (depending on account) payments through their e-payment service if you don't have $1500 in the account.

• nermal
  • Veteran

• September 26, 2012, 08:07:32 am
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 01:21:20 pm »
Though, I read that they also let you keep it free if you make one or two (depending on account) payments through their e-payment service if you don't have $1500 in the account.

Possibly. I only know the basic checking account. You can waive the fee with it as well with an e-payment but you also must have a direct deposit. I think I've read somewhere there's a savings account or another account that was easier to dodge fees with so you're probably right.

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2015, 01:46:06 pm »

Possibly. I only know the basic checking account. You can waive the fee with it as well with an e-payment but you also must have a direct deposit. I think I've read somewhere there's a savings account or another account that was easier to dodge fees with so you're probably right.
They have an "access account" with a $10 monthly fee, but with needing only to perform direct deposit, a qualifying bill payment through their service, or have $1500+ in the account.

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 02:44:41 pm »
FYI a citibank savings account only has a $500 balance required to avoid fees.

• afheil89
  • Veteran

• August 23, 2014, 12:41:16 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2015, 10:43:03 am »
Just wanted to say thank you guys for this discussion! I opened a citibank account in america online and a citibank account here, and it's been a lifesaver. It's so much more convienent and cheaper. It was a hassle opening the citibank in korea of course, because they making opening bank accounts the hardest thing ever, but it was worth it.
I teach, eat, and travel through Korea and write about it. http://www.ashleyheil.com