Read 66149 times

Re: UK/English Tax Q&A
« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2015, 04:50:59 pm »
Robyn 2014: I doubt HMRC would check, know or chase you if you've earnt money abroad, certainly not for the relatively small amounts we're talking about, however if they ask you to submit a tax return I wouldn't lie about it, as that could be deemed as tax fraud etc. I don't think they would check and I'm sure you could get away with saying you've been travelling, but you wouldn't want it coming back to get you further down the line (for example do they have access to bank accounts etc?). Instead just hope that you don't get asked to send a tax return in. I know loads of people who have taught abroad and they haven't had to submit a tax return - by being away you basically just drop off their radar completely.

However I got a residency certifcate which basically told HMRC I was moving abroad and as such they asked me to fill in a tax return for 2013/14 to take into account the one month's pay in March I received (I avoided paying the tax though on a thing called split year treatment). If you didn't get a residency certificate I would guess you've just dropped off their radar completely - the residency certificate seems to cause most of the problems
I'm actually doing a months travelling after the contract finishes, partly to do with tax, as it will mean I am out of the country the whole tax year and automatically non-resident. This means that I shouldn't have to submit any sort of return for 2014/15. To be automatically non resident I think you have to spend less than 16 days in the UK in a tax year.

If you've been paying Korean tax I wouldn't worry about it too much because if HMRC do ever chase you and you do need to pay, they will take off any korean tax you have already paid, from what you owe them, so I would make a copy of your payslips just in case. Given the higher allowances back in the UK I doubt there would be too much in it. 11 months pay at 2.1million w would probably only amount to about 700-800pound in tax, and they would take the korean tax off that.

I suspect one trigger might be if you go home and get a job straight away and get paid through PAYE before the end of the tax year, because you'll pop back up on their radar and they may want to know what you've been doing the rest of the year.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, you probably won't get asked to submit a tax return unless you got the residency certificate, and if you've been paying korean tax, then you'll probably only owe them a few hundred quid at most.
Yea if I don't travel, I'll.definitely stay off their radar by not working until the next tax year.  ;D I may be self employed after april 5th so I guess that's a possible trigger also for asking about tax returns. I do fancy a few weeks in Europe so I may just do that after a 14 day visit to UK. Hearing all the difficulties the residency certificate causes kind of glad I was too disorganised to get it.  ;D

• Anon1987
  • Newgookin

• July 27, 2014, 02:15:42 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #141 on: January 20, 2015, 02:52:24 pm »
I obtained a Certificate of Residence in January 2014 prior to my school contract starting in Korea the following month.  I have renewed my contract for another year, so do I need to obtain a new Certificate of Residence or does the one I have from last year still stand?

• fshgirl76
  • Adventurer

• December 06, 2013, 01:44:23 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2015, 02:56:33 pm »
I obtained a Certificate of Residence in January 2014 prior to my school contract starting in Korea the following month.  I have renewed my contract for another year, so do I need to obtain a new Certificate of Residence or does the one I have from last year still stand?

It's valid for 2 years. I didn't have to re-submit anything (I'm EPIK).

• Bluenose
  • Explorer

• October 27, 2011, 04:19:08 am
    • Liverpool, U.k
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2015, 12:32:15 pm »
Question...
Brits who have stayed for more than two years, and thus have had to pay tax in their third year, how much have you usually paid?
My school claiming I have to pay 1.3 mil here, something don't seem right

« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2015, 02:23:57 pm »
Question...
Brits who have stayed for more than two years, and thus have had to pay tax in their third year, how much have you usually paid?

I pay a little each month and have to pay a lump sum of about 600k

« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2015, 04:04:03 pm »
I think in truth it makes little difference financially as to which way you go. Of course tax in the UK is much higher, basic rate being 20p in the pound. However the tax free allowance is around 7,000 pounds ish, so the actual amount of income you will be taxed on is a lot less than many think. Last time I did the calculation between the two, it wasn't much difference (less than 100) iirc. Plus some people want to maintain their Tax Contributions and NI contributions for State Pension purposes.

Anyways, whatever boat people are in, I wouldn't worry too much, and I doubt HMRC are gonna be chasing too many of us over a few hundred quid, although I wouldn't hold my breath either.
I have just read that if you want do go back to University you are classed as an international student for the purpose of fees since you need to have been 'ordinarily resident' in UK for the 3 years prior to date of course. As i stated before i havent claimed residency certificate and was hoping to get away with paying income tax, but now this changes everything- my question is now since I am going to be back more than 16 days before the tax year ends and therefore considered as resident in the eyes  of HMRC will this allow me to claim 3 years resident in UK when applying for my Masters?

• gonzouk
  • Adventurer

• September 16, 2012, 01:55:06 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2015, 11:22:18 pm »
Question...

I've been paying a certain kind of tax each month and I also have to pay a final lump sum this year as I've been here 3 years.

I will have to pay one lump sum which is a tax adjustment fee of around 750,000원

Also I remember there is a Local Residency Tax for certain areas which differs depending on the area in which you live. There are so many little things that you could've been paying or that they left out and are now starting to add on

Personally I try to maintain a good relationship with Administration Staff and trust them to do their job.. It's easier that way unless someone could explain in English, or give a breakdown of pay. I know that's not a luxury I have here and definitely not within staff's abilities / time constraint.

I was told by my Co Teacher that if you change your workplace every two years you won't be taxed.. How true that is, I really don't know? Not to start any rumours, or go off topic, but that was genuinely said to me this afternoon.  I'm changing schools and won't pay tax next year apparently...

« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2015, 01:49:17 pm »
I HATE TAX. OR ANYTHING TO DO WITH MONEYYYYY. JUST TAKE ITTT AND BE DONEEEE.  :sad:

Anyway, I came here in Aug 2013, didn't fill out a p85, but applied for and submitted a residency cert to my school and do not pay tax here. I also have not been paying tax in UK.
When I decided to accept the EPIK job, it was such a last minute decision that I didn't research anything, just packed and left! I was just advised (cant remember online? or via recruiter) to hand in a residency form to be exempt from Korean taxes, so I did that. I didn't even think about UK tax... we rarely have to worry about tax when you're on the PAYE system so UK tax didnt even come to mind.
Only started worrying abut tax when I received a penalty for not filling in a self assessment for tax years 2013-2014. Called HMRC, answered a few questions, told them I live and work abroad and they said I don't qualify for self assessment so have cancelled the record for self assessment. SO I thought I was fine on the tax issue, considering I told them I work abroad..they didn't mention anything about whether I pay taxes anywhere..

BUT a UK friend here just told me he filled in the self assessment and has to pay 2000 UK tax for the year. I'm guessing It'll be similar for me then? I totally don't mind paying, if I owe it, I owe it. AND from reading these past 8 pages, seems cos I was abroad for at least 1 tax year (2014-2015), so hence, not a resident, they can't tax me on the income for that year. (BUT I applied for that residency form..GAH, which might still make me a resident).

Anyway, My question here is, has anyone been in a smiliar situation as me? I'm returning to the UK in September and wondering what to expect when I go back.., what forms do I have to fill in? what fines are gna hit me? I don't mind, if i gotta pay, i gotta pay. This has given me so much stress and headaches, I'd rather just give the money and be done with it all!

Oh, I also pay overseas student loans too, so the gov does know I'm abroad and earning etc if that makes a difference.

« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2015, 02:19:18 pm »
@jennyC520

My situation here is very similar to yours - I came here from the UK with EPIK in sept 2013, and didn't file any kind of paperwork when I left. I got the same letter warning me that I hadn't done a self-assessment for the 2013-14 tax year.

When I called them up and spoke to them they told me I didn't have to pay back any taxes or fill out any forms. We are tax exempt for 2 years here, so I really don't know why he would have to pay back two grand like that. Is it possible that his financial situation is different to yours in some way?

If the people you spoke to when you phoned HMRC said that you don't have to pay it, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2015, 03:01:42 pm »
@jennyC520

My situation here is very similar to yours - I came here from the UK with EPIK in sept 2013, and didn't file any kind of paperwork when I left. I got the same letter warning me that I hadn't done a self-assessment for the 2013-14 tax year.

When I called them up and spoke to them they told me I didn't have to pay back any taxes or fill out any forms. We are tax exempt for 2 years here, so I really don't know why he would have to pay back two grand like that. Is it possible that his financial situation is different to yours in some way?

If the people you spoke to when you phoned HMRC said that you don't have to pay it, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I believe he also handed in the residency form so he is exempt here. But many people are saying that if you don't pay in Korea, you have to pay in England. So I think that's why he has to pay back 2k in UK, but, like you said, I'm not 100% sure of his circumstances.
When I called them, they didn't ask if I paid tax anywhere...nor did I mention it to them actually, so paying/repaying tax wasn't touched upon during my call to them.

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 18, 2015, 12:26:47 am
    • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
« Reply #150 on: July 03, 2015, 03:07:53 pm »
I never got my proof of residency so i just pay tax here, it's not much.  HMRC made things super difficult for me in getitng the form so i just gave up  :rolleyes:

« Reply #151 on: July 03, 2015, 04:43:06 pm »
Same here, much less hassle.