Read 2176 times

Hi everyone,

I recently started an after school job which for a number of reasons has been truly awful. I've decided to quit but am struggling to decide the best way to do it. I would like to do the right thing and give in my notice but I have very little trust for this company.

With an F6 visa if I just don't come back after payday or claim to have returned to the states for a while, is there anything they could really do? I am still considering going down the notice path but have a lingering feeling it might be risky and I won't get everything I'm owed.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
Re: Quitting on an F6. Can't decide whether to give notice or not.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:21:12 am »
F-6 visa you can quit with no worries of being reported to immi etc. However, you will lose them as a reference and they could possibly write bad reviews about you on the hagwon owners site or something similar. They didn't provide you with airfare or housing right??

Having said that one of the best things I did was walk out of a 3 week summer camp after one week when it became apparent the people running it were complete schmucks.  :evil:

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 11:53:02 am »
No airfare but there's housing money as part of the salary. There's a clause in the contract that states if I quit without giving notice they can take/withhold up to a months pay but I believe that's completely illegal. Can anyone confirm this?

If I were to do an after payday runner they'd owe me just over two weeks pay. I would consider maybe writing this off for a swift clean exit as long as they don't try and come after me for more.

• zorq
  • Veteran

• March 31, 2011, 05:15:40 am
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 12:03:29 pm »
Why are you afraid to give notice? Are you afraid they won't pay you your last month's salary?

But you are also concerned that if you run they will take your last month's salary anyway?

I don't see a difference between the two except that if you run you make yourself look bad, and while the last month is in doubt in both cases, you are guaranteed not to get two weeks of salary if you run, but you might get those two weeks if you give notice.

I think you should do the right thing. Be honest with your employer.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:05:43 pm by zorq »

• Morfee
  • Super Waygook

• August 23, 2014, 03:51:54 pm
    • Gangwon-Do
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 12:10:33 pm »
+1 for being honest. Only good things can come of it. If they withold or do any silly business, you'll get it back through the labour board if needs be.

I had a really terrible employer back home once upon a time. I handed in my notice, worked extra hours when required and did the right thing. A few years later, a middle management guy at a different company in a completely different city worked there and remembered me. He remembered me having the bully boss and me doing the right thing. I got the job easily.

This obviously won't happen in this instance, but you never know how things unfold down the road.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 10:23:34 am »

Decided to be honest. My concerns were mainly because it's really early in the contract so I haven't even got my first paycheck yet.

I've only been here 4 weeks so they're gonna be furious. It's also the first contract they've had with this school. We'll see what happens, hopefully they'll just find a new teacher and I'll get everything I'm owed. 

• ilgusam
  • Waygookin

• April 20, 2015, 01:19:44 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 01:49:03 pm »
What did you end up doing? I'm just curious how it all went down.