Read 3336 times

Question for those who work at multiple public schools
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:38:13 am »
I work at two separate public schools because I am in a rural area.  I have been at both schools almost two years.

At the start of the school I got all new co-teachers.  The co-teachers at my main school are great, no problems.  The co-teacher at my secondary school is not great (multiple petty attacks, stole my desk chair, moves things on my desk, overall just rude and spiteful, to the point that other teachers have noticed and commented).  She was a close friends co-teacher last year and basically tortured her for a year. 

Now, in the past, any time my secondary school had a day off on a day I worked there, I got the day off.  It was never a problem

So my co-teacher informed me today that my secondary school has Thursday off so I HAVE to go to my "home" school.  She was quite rude about it.  So I smiled and said ok because I am trying to keep things level with this woman.  My plan is to go and talk to my primary school co-teachers tomorrow.   I talked to a few friends who work at multiple schools and they all said the same thing, like me, they have never had to go to their other school when one school was closed.

I just wanted to find out if anyone else has had to go to their primary school on days their secondary school had a day off?  Basically I don't  want to seem unreasonable to my new co-teachers at my primary school if this is a common thing.  I'm trying to handle this in the most peaceable, reasonable manner possible.

Re: Question for those who work at multiple public schools
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:52:26 am »
Hello there, I work at three schools, two elementary and one middle and when one school gets the day off I do not have to go to the other. This is my second year hear and though one teacher was a little bitchy that I had an extra day off the other week, it has not caused any problems.

• miss_cho
  • Super Waygook

• October 10, 2011, 10:00:55 am
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:11:18 am »
I came in September and teach at three schools - when my co-teachers at my secondary schools tell me not to come in I have to desk-warm at my base school. I was told this when I first started - I think I'm the first NET that has ever been based at this school so they adhere to the contract rather strictly. They (my base school) probably wouldn't find out if I just stayed home but I've been trying to maintain a good relationship with my base school so they'd grant me leave mid-semester to return to the US for a wedding.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 12:00:51 pm »
i had two schools for a semester in my first year. i only had to go to the other school once a week - on thursdays. and there was one instance where the thursday i was scheduled to go to this other school was a holiday there. i stayed at home.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• Tpre022
  • Veteran

• November 10, 2010, 12:32:50 pm
    • Namhae island, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 12:05:07 pm »
I work at 3 schools, I never had to go in to my main when one of the others had a day off. I always got a day at home.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 12:16:48 pm »
According to the contract...

If you are NOT working at your secondary/tertiary school than you MUST be at your home school.

Most school won't make you do it, but they are well within their right to do it.

• SBracken
  • Expert Waygook

• March 07, 2011, 07:41:22 am
    • Pohang, S Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 12:39:53 pm »
According to the contract...

If you are NOT working at your secondary/tertiary school than you MUST be at your home school.

Most school won't make you do it, but they are well within their right to do it.

This is what I was wondering.  I already checked my contract.  It says NOTHING about it in mine, but I'm also in a rural area and under a different program.  I'll talk to my main school tomorrow.  I feel certain I'll get the day, I just wanted to be nice about it.

This has also been an ongoing problem with the teacher at this school.  She keeps trying to "order" me to do things which are a) against the contract b) in no way under her jurisdiction.  My main school handles these things.  And they're already told her that no, once they assign my vacation she cannot "make" me teach a camp and things like that.  Sigh.  I miss my old co-teacher.

It is in your contract. If you're public school, EPIK, you must be at work, 8 hours a day, on any day that is not a National Holiday, a Saturday, or a Sunday. It's roundabout, but if you have a school to go to, you 'should' be going to it. That said, I teach at 3 schools, but two are right next to each other, so I'm rarely put in a situation like yours. The few times my third school has off, I have NOT gone in to my 'base' school.

Nevertheless, your new co does sound like a cranky soul. What a headache. I know it's rough, but just smile and ignore her. Think of all the ways everybody's witnessing you taking so much abuse so gallantly. ESPECIALLY ignore her, and do your best to take special pleasure in it ;) when she 'orders' you to do something without the proper authority. Already been approved for your vacation by the big P-man himself? (the principal of course, not pacman) and she wants you to work a camp? Too slow! Reschedule the camp because you've already made plans and had them approved. Smile, say 'sorry' (even though it's probably insincere), and propose a different date to her. If nothing else, smile because you're in the right and there's nothing she can do about it except raise a stink.
By the way, I say all this under your statement of "to the point that other teachers have noticed and commented". If other teachers are going along with her, I would guess she's older and has to be 'respected' out of, well, confucian thinking. And then you've got a bit more of a difficult situation to play through.

• SBracken
  • Expert Waygook

• March 07, 2011, 07:41:22 am
    • Pohang, S Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 02:20:00 pm »
Yeah... the thing is, I don't mind going in to work.  I mean sure, it would be nice to get the bonus day off, but it's not a big deal (although I've never had to do it before) I just hate how nasty she is about it.  The other teachers at this school have tried to say something to her a couple times (I've been here almost 2 years so I'm friendly with all of them) and she ripped their heads off.  I don't blame them at all for not interfering more.  This lady is whacky enough that I would not want to be on her bad side.  I've been nice.  I didn't even say anything negative when she told me this morning.  Just vaguely said, "Sure, I'll talk to my school tomorrow." 

Fortunately I don't have much of a temper.

That sounds brilliant. Be vague enough to respond to her, but not specific enough that you're dignifying her with an answer :P really sorry to hear about your sit though, that really sucks :( 3 cheers for keeping a level head and a good attitude in all this, even despite your statement of a natural lack of temper ;)

• smippy
  • Adventurer

• October 15, 2011, 08:07:15 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 03:39:31 pm »
Those of you who don't have to go to your main school on your other school's days off are really lucky. Whenever my 2nd school has a day off (I'm there Thursdays and Fridays), my co teacher makes it a point to call my main school and tell them, which of course means I have to go there and do extra classes instead of getting a day off. *sigh* oh well. :/

• jamasian
  • Super Waygook

• December 05, 2011, 03:02:00 pm
    • Suncheon, S. Korea
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 04:22:58 pm »
 :( I've had to go to my main school and desk warm. 3 schools. Guess I didn't get the cool schools.

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 05:35:15 pm »
I've learned two valuable lessons with living in Korea.  First, the vague answer and/or acknowledgement.  CT: "You must do such and such." Me "Uh-huh", not looking up from computer.  Second, it is better to apologize later than to ask permission first. 

In this case, I would have just vaguely acknowledged what your mean CT said, then just stayed home.  If anyone asked the next day I would act confused and say there must have been a misunderstanding as you've always stayed home on those days.  Apologize, bring fruit if necessary.  I'm not saying you're wrong for asking your primary school if you should come in (it's their decision after all, even if your mean CT thinks she's in control).  That's what we would do in our home cultures.  But I've become more Korean with these things.  It's amazing how many misunderstanding one can have in the course of a year if one doesn't want to understand.  Good luck!

• gangwon
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 24, 2011, 08:07:24 am
    • Gangwon Do
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 07:45:22 pm »
I teach at 6 schools so it happens quite often that I one of my schools is cancelled for field trips or exams. When this happens I always have to go to my main school and desk warm. It works the other way round as well, on my main school's birthday all teachers and students had the day off but I had to go another school as scheduled and then back to my main school afterwards and sit all alone in an empty school.

• teachermc
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2010, 11:47:41 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
    more
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 08:03:12 am »
I teach at 6 schools so it happens quite often that I one of my schools is cancelled for field trips or exams. When this happens I always have to go to my main school and desk warm. It works the other way round as well, on my main school's birthday all teachers and students had the day off but I had to go another school as scheduled and then back to my main school afterwards and sit all alone in an empty school.

You teach at six schools?  That deserves a discussion thread.

I also have to go to my main school when my visiting schools are not in session.  SBracken seems to make some sense pointing to the more general aspect of our contract which clarifies our working days.