Read 188469 times

• lmagno
  • Waygookin

• August 26, 2011, 12:16:17 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Funny Co-Teacher's Comments
« Reply #340 on: September 01, 2011, 12:31:01 pm »
My co-teachers all talk about the last native English speaker, who they always explain was overweight. "Pablo, who was fat,...." "Pablo, who was on a diet,..."  "Pablo, who ate fruit and went to the gym, ..." The poor guy even had a special chair as he was...fat. I saw a picture of him,  he isn't even fat! Oh Koreans.

« Reply #341 on: September 19, 2011, 01:56:43 pm »
My CT is studying for TEPS and it has some older idioms in it. Today (while we were brushing our teeth), she wrote on the board:

hen party (women)
_?_ party (men)

I looked at it for a moment, knowing she wanted the opposite of a hen party. My eyes got big and I about choked on my toothpaste from laughing. After rinsing, I told her the opposite word of 'hen' and it's slang meaning. (And, told her I didn't know the correct answer.)

She told me the TEPS book called a men's gathering a 'stag party' (I've never heard the expression)

• ignatmc
  • Adventurer

• March 18, 2011, 08:16:26 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #342 on: September 19, 2011, 02:32:28 pm »
I am having the problem that I was adopted from Korea, and so when I met my principal, he started laughing because he said that my face looks Korean but he couldn't believe that I couldn't speak Korean. I was also asked more than 5 times when the other Korean teachers were talking if I could understand what they were saying. I said no each time, but I started to get paranoid that they were talking about me in Korean. Anyone else had the latter problem?
they more than likely are talking about you. i started lying to people about my ability in korean just to see if they talk behind my back/to my face. and they do!

« Reply #343 on: September 19, 2011, 02:39:20 pm »
Yeah, I've learned to either drown it out, pay really close attention and decipher what I can, or pretend I know what they're saying and make up what I think it is in my head.  The last option is the most fun and I find that I don't care whether they're actually talking about me or not.  Does that make me a socially awkward?

« Reply #344 on: September 19, 2011, 02:51:14 pm »
My CT is studying for TEPS and it has some older idioms in it. Today (while we were brushing our teeth), she wrote on the board:

hen party (women)
_?_ party (men)

I looked at it for a moment, knowing she wanted the opposite of a hen party. My eyes got big and I about choked on my toothpaste from laughing. After rinsing, I told her the opposite word of 'hen' and it's slang meaning. (And, told her I didn't know the correct answer.)

She told me the TEPS book called a men's gathering a 'stag party' (I've never heard the expression)

I guess it's a bit of an older expression, but I've heard it a bunch of times. I'm in my mid-late 20s. Could depends on region and such too though.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #345 on: September 19, 2011, 02:51:36 pm »

hen party (women)
_?_ party (men)

Yup, a stag party is the male equivalent. The stag is the groom. It's his last night to hang with the moose before settles down with one.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• Waygooker
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2011, 12:58:10 pm
    • Gyeungbuk
« Reply #346 on: September 19, 2011, 03:59:23 pm »
My one co-teacher keeps excusing her english ability and has even gone as far one day as to mention the word Konglish. I told her that yes, Korea is developing its own dialect, just like nay other country and that its ok.
The term "konglish" goes back more than a decade.  In China, It's "Chinglish".  My question is - is it "Janglish" in Japan?

In Japan it's called Japlish, although for obvious reasons some people, both Japanese and Western, don't like that word. In Singapore it's Singlish.

« Reply #347 on: September 19, 2011, 05:13:02 pm »
I have been in Korea a week today. That makes two days at each of my schools so far.

Everyone, teachers and students, reacts with huge gasps when I say I'm from South Africa. I guessed this is because they all have a very stereotyped image in their heads of Africa and Africans, but today my co-teacher laid it out for me in no uncertain terms:

"Like me, they thought you were going to be just a black person." Er. Political correctness fail :D

im also from SA. on my first day:
CT: are u sure you are from South Africa
ME: yes im sure
CT: *looking really confused* but you are fat..
ME: ohhhk
CT: ..and very short

• jisun
  • Veteran

• June 07, 2011, 02:02:21 pm
    • Goyang-si, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #348 on: September 19, 2011, 08:50:04 pm »
I just received a text message from my co-teacher (while I was eating dinner, no less) that reads:
"pee is number2?number1 is shit?confused"
I gave a brief explanation via reply text, but I'm sure I will have to go into more depth when I get to school tomorrow morning.

« Reply #349 on: September 19, 2011, 09:04:17 pm »
From one of my Korean friends who actually has travelled and lived abroad:

"Do they speak English in South Africa?"

I'm guessing she thought that there are no whiteys in South Africa.  It's strange as Koreans think of Africa as one nation.  I'll put a disclaimer out there and apologize if anyone else thought this statement was prejudiced which it's not meant to be.

• mutende
  • Explorer

• March 02, 2011, 02:14:10 pm
    • busan
« Reply #350 on: September 20, 2011, 10:30:33 am »
 my co-teacher replaces the p with a f in the word parking.
when he took me to get my alien registration card he kept saying....
i need a 'f#*king spot'....
haha!
 ;D

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #351 on: September 20, 2011, 02:55:13 pm »
My one co-teacher keeps excusing her english ability and has even gone as far one day as to mention the word Konglish. I told her that yes, Korea is developing its own dialect, just like nay other country and that its ok.
The term "konglish" goes back more than a decade.  In China, It's "Chinglish".  My question is - is it "Janglish" in Japan?

In Japan it's called Japlish, although for obvious reasons some people, both Japanese and Western, don't like that word. In Singapore it's Singlish.

It probably depends on what circles you hang out in: I've lived in Japan for a couple of years and have only ever heard it referred to as "Engrish".

• Willow
  • Adventurer

• April 20, 2011, 11:36:37 pm
« Reply #352 on: September 26, 2011, 12:42:38 pm »
My Co Teacher told me she has been searching for a husband for 2 years and she cannot find one.
She then asked me to set her up with any of my male friends. To this I replied, "But dont you want a Korean husband??" Her reply was "No, I am Global!!"

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #353 on: September 27, 2011, 12:39:59 pm »
My Co Teacher told me she has been searching for a husband for 2 years and she cannot find one.
She then asked me to set her up with any of my male friends. To this I replied, "But dont you want a Korean husband??" Her reply was "No, I am Global!!"

I really, really wish we had something like a 'like' button. This one is awesome!
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• Trose89
  • Explorer

• September 02, 2011, 08:33:38 am
    • Seocheon South Korea
« Reply #354 on: September 30, 2011, 02:41:52 pm »
I'm an African American woman here teaching in Korea.
Once my Ct once said to me-

CT  " oh, I teach with another woman like you, she looks just like you.

Me "oh wow, really?"

- Then I saw the girl... the only thing we had in common was skin color ( not even that we were the same color)

... other than that ... NADA!

-I guess all black people look alike here lmao

« Reply #355 on: September 30, 2011, 02:47:03 pm »

Me "oh wow, really?"

- Then I saw the girl... the only thing we had in common was skin color ( not even that we were the same color)

Don't worry; all white people look alike here too. I'm Italian, so, dark hair, brown eyes, and a teacher showed me a picture of some guy with blondish, and pointed to the picture and me saying, "Same, same."

« Reply #356 on: October 01, 2011, 08:09:21 pm »

Me "oh wow, really?"

Don't worry; all white people look alike here too. I'm Italian, so, dark hair, brown eyes, and a teacher showed me a picture of some guy with blondish, and pointed to the picture and me saying, "Same, same."

Yeah, my teachers tell me that I and my husband look alike. We don't look anything alike! I'm paler than pale, he's quite tan. He has brown eyes, I have blue. Our hair is somewhat similar, but mine has more hints of red. Not to mention out facial structures being totally different.

Then again, Koreans tend to look the same to me until I get to know them a little better.

« Reply #357 on: October 04, 2011, 09:23:46 am »
co: "did you hear the vice principles daughter had an erection?"

me: "um...how did she get an erection?"

co: "she want to be thin so she dont eat. now she has an erection."

me: (trying really hard not to laugh) "oh! anorexia!"

• rach229
  • Veteran

• September 08, 2011, 07:57:51 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #358 on: October 04, 2011, 09:32:12 am »
My male co-teacher added me on facebook then wrote on my wall "Let's go all the way tonight!"

He also wants me to use is as a key expression for my teachers class.....

I don't know how to gently tell him what this really means!

« Reply #359 on: October 05, 2011, 11:18:38 pm »
Upon meeting one of my co-teachers for the first time:

"Your eyes are so blue. Scary blue."

Other than that, constantly referring to me as "Leah" (who was the teacher I replaced). Sometimes they won't even bother correcting themselves, even when they realize they're wrong. I guess because we both are short with blonde hair we are the same person  :laugh: