Read 2575 times

To late to get on with EPIK?
« on: May 31, 2012, 05:05:52 am »
Would like to come over in July or August. I have my FBI background check already.

• ahess.wisc
  • Veteran

• March 01, 2012, 03:51:33 pm
    • Yoeng Duek South Korea
Re: To late to get on with EPIK?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 06:38:52 am »
As I understand it the deadline is June 1st, but if EPIK hasn't already filled all its slots you may still have a chance. Do you have a Tefl Certificate already?

• vw08
  • Super Waygook

• May 11, 2011, 01:26:31 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 06:47:44 am »
Yes, it is likely that you are too late for the EPIK's fall intake.  However, there are still a few options for getting a public school job this fall if you have all of your documents and are ready to come to Korea.  Individual MOEs are also hiring and from what I've heard, they often have spots open longer than EPIK and might take applications into June.  Also, individual schools sometimes do their own hiring.  They either work with recruiters or the current NETs will sometimes post on Waygook looking for their replacement.  A limited number of opportunities will likely be open at odd times like October or November since a few people start/end in those months.  If you haven't already, contact a few public school recruiters to see what opportunities they have open and check Waygook and Dave's frequently to see if any positions are being advertised.

Long story short, the fall intake for EPIK is probably not open for the fall, but if you want a PS job, there are other opportunities out there.

Good Luck!

• Chicagohotdog
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 04, 2012, 12:25:31 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
    more
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 07:26:52 am »
If you are determined to be in Korea by the fall, I would say get a recruiter and have them start shopping you around.  There is a chance of a public school opening, but it would be far more likely that you would find a Hakwon that would take you considering the timing.  That having been said, if you tell your recruiter that you only want a public school they can narrow their search down for you.

Best of luck and be prepared for anything!
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 08:08:42 am »
I might not even be able to go the public route because I will be doing an online Alternative Certification program and will be needing to due some observing / student teaching during the day.

Fug! Really dont want to work in a Hagwon but I might not have a choice.

• vw08
  • Super Waygook

• May 11, 2011, 01:26:31 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 12:04:45 pm »
Would you be completing your certification in your home country or in Korea?  If you are finishing it at home, there is always the option to try and find a PS job for October/November if that schedule works better for you.  Depending on the certification requirements, it may or many not be possible to finish it up in Korea.  But, if you wait until you have your teaching certificate, you will qualify for a higher salary bracket with EPIK and perhaps have a higher chance of being accepted. 

Is waiting for the spring EPIK intake be an option for you?  Not knowing about your situation at home, it might be better to wait a little longer for a position that you want rather than settling for a position that is available.

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 12:58:54 pm »
Would you be completing your certification in your home country or in Korea?  If you are finishing it at home, there is always the option to try and find a PS job for October/November if that schedule works better for you.  Depending on the certification requirements, it may or many not be possible to finish it up in Korea.  But, if you wait until you have your teaching certificate, you will qualify for a higher salary bracket with EPIK and perhaps have a higher chance of being accepted. 

Is waiting for the spring EPIK intake be an option for you?  Not knowing about your situation at home, it might be better to wait a little longer for a position that you want rather than settling for a position that is available.

I can complete the online program and my observing / student teaching in Korea (during the day going to an International School). Hence why working during the day at a public school is not an option. Then I will need to return to the US to pass the state exams to get my license.

I will just have to suck it up and try to bare / endure a hagwon job... Pray for me. lol
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 01:01:01 pm by The Internationalist »