Read 4573 times

600,000 KRW fee to cancel cable
« on: May 29, 2012, 03:06:07 pm »
So my hagwon is shutting down on Thursday, and I'm starting a new job on Monday. When I arrived, my director signed me up for a cable and internet package that she said could be canceled at any time. Then, for convenience's sake, she had me transfer it to my name so that I could have it come straight out of my bank bill.

Today she called to have it canceled, and they said that since I'm moving to an area that still has their service available, I will have to pay 600,000 KRW to cancel it, because apparently she signed a THREE YEAR CONTRACT. The guy who told her it was easy for a foreigner to cancel it apparently meant that it was easy IF I left the country. Also, my new apartment has internet included in the price, so I can't just transfer it.

Obviously I'm an idiot for signing anything in Korean, but shit happens when you're jet lagged, ya know? So please don't say anything that makes me feel dumber.

I'm losing my job with no severance pay, I can in no way afford to pay this. What do I do? Any advice would be extremely helpful.

• Peekay1982
  • Expert Waygook

• October 04, 2010, 09:12:28 am
    • 부산
Re: 600,000 KRW fee to cancel cable
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 03:42:43 pm »
So my hagwon is shutting down on Thursday, and I'm starting a new job on Monday. When I arrived, my director signed me up for a cable and internet package that she said could be canceled at any time. Then, for convenience's sake, she had me transfer it to my name so that I could have it come straight out of my bank bill.

Today she called to have it canceled, and they said that since I'm moving to an area that still has their service available, I will have to pay 600,000 KRW to cancel it, because apparently she signed a THREE YEAR CONTRACT. The guy who told her it was easy for a foreigner to cancel it apparently meant that it was easy IF I left the country. Also, my new apartment has internet included in the price, so I can't just transfer it.

Obviously I'm an idiot for signing anything in Korean, but shit happens when you're jet lagged, ya know? So please don't say anything that makes me feel dumber.

I'm losing my job with no severance pay, I can in no way afford to pay this. What do I do? Any advice would be extremely helpful.

It's not ideal, but why not keep paying the monthly fee? 30,000 a month or whatever? Doing that for a year or however long is gonna be cheaper than paying 600,000. Plus the money won't be going out of your account all at once. Alternatively you could look at transferring it to the person moving into your old flat, if they're willing, although it's gonna be a hassle explaining what you want to do and there's no guarantee the new tenant will want to do it. (There may not even be a new tenant.) Alternatively you could try and work out an installment payment plan with the internet company. Your idiot of a boss should really pay it but I can imagine how much luck you'd have taking that approach...

Another option would be to close your current bank account and open another one with someone else and not pay the fee. They'd eventually take you to court, but would you still be here when that happens?

• Koreak
  • Super Waygook

• November 13, 2010, 08:15:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 03:43:20 pm »
Wow, here's what probably happened!

Your director called up the cable company, said they wanted to sign up for 1 year of cable. 

The cable company said, if you sign up for 2+ years you get an immediate cold hard cash back bonus.

Sign me up for three years.

Oh naive foreigner, sign this paper.  I know you are leaving in a year or so, so I don't want to take the fall of the cancellation charges.

This is a very common tactic, like the previous poster said, it might be easier to keep paying it monthly if you don't have the cash.  Or you could just leave without paying it... but you should still pay it.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:46:41 pm by Koreak »

• AC_in_Korea
  • Super Waygook

• July 30, 2010, 11:25:33 am
    • Miryang, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:44:56 pm »
I don't think your an idiot for signing something in Korean.  We have to rely on our co-teachers for help on these things, and from what she told you - it seemed legit to sign.

I believe she is at fault here, and should be helping you more than just making a phone call.

Do you have another Korean contact that you could ask to help you out?

I don't know the background info about your relationship with your (ex) director  - but could you basically tell her, politely, that she needs to sort it out? 

I hope that you are able to sort it out.  I'll look into some resources I have, to see what else could be done....
Be the change you want to see in the world.

• JahRhythm
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 25, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 03:45:03 pm »
Just have it transferred.
Just because the new apartment comes with Internet doesn't mean you need to use what is provided.
Transfer the service and you'll get the cable, too.
When I've had service transferred from one apartment to another it was free. No installation charge.
Yeah it's lame that you'll continue paying for a package when your new place already has Internet but it will be s hell of a lot cheaper than paying 600k.
Good luck
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

• Koreak
  • Super Waygook

• November 13, 2010, 08:15:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 03:51:32 pm »
The above post is excellent advice.  If it is a big cable company you will have no problems to transfer the service.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 06:43:18 pm »
I talked to my new director about it, and she said the building won't accept my particular wanky cable company. I am asking my old director in the morning to transfer it back into her name and deal with it herself, since it was her mistake. I will let you guys know how THAT works out for me.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 07:56:45 pm »
Also, while I'm at it, I should mention that she wants me to write on my new ARC that I live at her mother's house, in an area where you can't get the service, so that I only pay the 100,000 KRW fee, and transfer it back in a month. 

This is a terrible idea, right?

• JahRhythm
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 08:05:38 pm »
She sounds incompetent and dodgey.
Of course it's a terrible idea.
Falsifying information on the government-issued ID that verifies your legal status in the country?
Yeah bad idea.
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

• misskris
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 02:46:41 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 08:35:57 am »
Hey there,

Just a thought... are you leaving Korea to do a visa transfer at all?
if you are, you should only have to show your ticket out of the country to the cable company and they will cancel it for you with no fee. 

If you're not....I know there's some way to book a ticket on Korean air without paying for it.. I believe you can hold an itinerary and print it.  Perhaps you could show that to the cable company?

I know this because my first job was shady and dodgy as crap and I had a "fake ticket". It was just an itinerary that was never paid for. When I called to confirm my flight before leaving, I found out I had no flight!
Just a thought... I know Koreans are reserving and cancelling flights all the time without purchasing them.
It may just mean a little of your time on the computer and a couple of faxes to save that 600,000
I'd look into it!

Goodluck.  Sounds like its good that you won't be working for them anymore!

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 12:14:33 pm »
So the end result was that my director got the new owner to sign over the contract to her name if I paid the 150 dollar fee to get rid of the TV portion. Decided I could live with that.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 12:19:37 pm »
Thank you for posting about the result.  I hate it when I read about a problem on here and never know how it turned out, plus we can all learn from it.

• JahRhythm
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 12:23:13 pm »
Yeah it's nice when a post has a resolution.

Well, not ideal but not a terrible result.

• Peekay1982
  • Expert Waygook

• October 04, 2010, 09:12:28 am
    • 부산
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 10:15:56 am »
So the end result was that my director got the new owner to sign over the contract to her name if I paid the 150 dollar fee to get rid of the TV portion. Decided I could live with that.

Great! Also you're welcome.