Read 1591 times

My fridge blew up - how the hell do I get it fixed?
« on: May 25, 2012, 01:26:49 pm »
The title say's it all.... I was watching TV when there was a sudden blackout...After fiddling around with the electricity box for a while, I discovered that the fridge has a short circuit, and it needs to be fixed...

All of which is a bit tricky, since I have no idea how to get it fixed...As far as my school is concerned, I'm on my own...The less said about that, the better...And i'm unsure whether getting the guys at my apartment to have a look at it... Can they fix things like that? Or what about Korean tradesmen?Has anyone come across any good companies for fridge or appliance repair?And I kinda need it in a hurry...

I'd appreciate anyone's suggestions or comments, as long as they are constructive...

L

• misskris
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 02:46:41 pm
    • seoul
Re: My fridge blew up - how the hell do I get it fixed?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 01:36:40 pm »
I would just consider getting a new one.  There are used stores around where you could one for a couple hundred bucks with delivery included. Or keep your eye on craigslist. Sometimes there are great deals and you can arrange to have it delivered for an okay price. I just moved my whole apartment for only 70,000 won.

Goodluck!  Sorry your school is not helping you out :(

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 01:59:42 pm »
I agree with Misskris. Generally, the cost of fixing a fridge is almost as much as getting a new one. My fridge suddenly stopped working 2 weeks ago and I told my school hoping they would replace it.... They told me to fix it at my own expense. LG quoted me W120000 to fix it! Being new here I didnt even know where to go but luckily one of my coteachers helped me get a used one... If you still want to try to fix it, try calling the manufacturing company's customer service  or maybe go shopping around in your town you might find a second hand appliance store, and I've heard craigslist has lots of things too.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 02:53:36 pm »
I'm thinking it's a short circuit, so it won't be that expensive and difficult to fix....I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but there you are.... And I'm finishing up in Korea at the moment, so I'd rather not go to all the trouble of having to buy a new fridge if i can avoid it...

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 03:00:51 pm »
TBH, I can't give advice because I've never done this before.

But, how much longer do you have in Korea?  How about finding a used appliance shop and asking if you can rent?
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 10:29:38 pm »
Well it should be polite for the school to help you out with the fridge.  I could understand them not wanting to pay.

Just remember many of your coworkers are busy and may not care or deal with your problem .  But if you ask smart questions and try to make it easy you will get more help.

If you are in a city I would consider getting a new one.

Also be careful of getting rid of said fridge

If lucky the used place will take the fridge for you.
Or you can keep an ear out for the junk collector cries of "air con, air con, television. computer...." Ya might get a few bucks for it. I said a few.
Or you will have to buy a garbage sticker.

Also do find out who owns the fridge?  Apartment, school, etc. Find out from them what to do with it?  Get it in writing. You do not want some hassles down the road with your school deducting for a whole new fridge and no the used one you bought is not good enough.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.