Read 1558 times

• Canonite
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2011, 11:50:19 pm
    • ROK
    more
What is "FIRM" (in the context of tofu) in Korean?
« on: May 25, 2012, 03:26:25 pm »
Hi gang,

I'm trying to eat healthier...and I'm trying to add tofu to my diet...but I hate the soft, mushy crap...at home I used to like FIRM tofu, though...but I don't know what it is in Korean...can someone please help a brother out?

Thanks,
T
*click*

• fwilsie
  • Veteran

• November 03, 2011, 03:34:20 pm
    • 창녕
Re: What is "FIRM" (in the context of tofu) in Korean?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 03:42:20 pm »
찌개용두부 (Jjigae-yong-dubu) is pretty firm. I find that the fresh blocks that you bag up yourself are usually firmer than the ones that are sealed up in plastic.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 03:46:02 pm by fwilsie »

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 07:59:21 pm »
Try this. It takes a little while, but it's super easy and the results are incredible:   http://melissaraydavis.hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Cook_Tofu_Like_the_Pros

• Canonite
  • Expert Waygook

• ROK
    more
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 09:13:27 pm »
Thank you, both! I'll have to check out these fresh blocks, I don't think I've ever noticed them! Is it a fairly common thing? The tofu I had at home says buchim-yong (sorry, don't have a Hangul keyboard)...what does that mean? It seems to be holding together fairly well so far :D 

sidewinder...thanks! Trying that right now :) ...I'll let you know how it turns out haha...

*click*

• Canonite
  • Expert Waygook

• ROK
    more
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 09:57:51 pm »
Quick update: It...is...freaking. ..AMAZING! I've lost 32 lbs since I got to Korea (I'm 5'10, down from 200 lbs to a healthy 168), but including the muscle I've put on, I'm probably down about 35-40lbs of fat. I'm finally in the best shape of my life, and really trying to get better every day...but...snacks continue to be my weaknesses, so I'm forever searching for healthy alternatives.

So, I made half a brick of tofu (making the second half now!) with that dry-frying method (you're right, it takes time, but it's not as hard as I thought it would be...(ie: they don't fall apart in the pan!). Then I diced up two cloves of garlic and right before I was going to take the golden-brown tofu triangles out of the pan, I sprinkled them with garlic and a bit of soy sauce, left it there for a minute or two, and then into a plate...it was absolutely delicious!!!

Thanks again, a brick of tofu will add 30-50g of protein to my daily diet (should be a huge boost, especially for weight training days), and cost $1!!! This is going to sound very geeky, but I'm very excited about this...for years I've hated tofu, but all that changes now :)

EDIT: If anyone is thinking of doing this...leaving the tofu out for a bit to drain really speeds up the frying process...my second batch (which was draining while I was making/eating the first batch) is cooking much quicker...also, the article says to slice the tofu into 1/2" thick slices...that works really well, but if you like crunchier stuff (I do), try 1/4" thick...it's a bit harder to work with when not cooked, but the end result is almost like a tofu chip...great for snacking on :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:05:36 pm by Canonite »
*click*