Read 3990 times

Negotiating Contracts with Hagwons?
« on: May 24, 2012, 03:56:26 am »
Question.  Hagwons generally offer half or even less vacation time than public schools.  Has anyone ever successfully negotiated increased vacation time with their school?  I recently saw a posting for 10 days of vacation, but that those 10 days include public holidays.  This is absurd to me.  I don't need tons of vacation time, but I'm not coming half way around the world to work like a dog and never have time to see all the awesome places that surround Korea.  At least a full week, or 10 days in addition to public holidays would be kosher with me.  Am I asking too much?  If I am I suppose I will need to adjust my expectations.  Thanks.

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
Re: Negotiating Contracts with Hagwons?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:25:17 am »
The rule of thumb is to  not re-new and use the time between contracts as your vacation. Then you can potentiallly get more vacation time than people at public schools. BTW  Public schools just ain't what they used to be

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 08:10:14 am »
Different jobs write their contracts differently, think about the 4 weeks paid vacation at the end (severance).
Depending on where your from but in NZ your not even entitled to take holidays untill after 12 months

I may of read it wrong but to be entitled to get the public holidays off and paid don't you have to be employed full time, employed for at least 44hrs a week.

Hagwons are a private business so chances are their not all the same, if you don't like what one has to offer then don't apply for the position.

I am assuming "Waygook genius" is sarcasm.  This post is riddled with errors.

We don't get 4 weeks' paid vacation at the end.  And it's not called severance.

Severance is the term given to the month's salary per year of service which we are paid at the end of the contract.

I get public holidays off and paid, and I work 40 hrs/week, which is less than 44 hrs, so I can't see why that is relevant.

I hope you don't teach your students "your" instead of "you're", "untill" instead of "until", "may of" instead of "may have" and "their" instead of "they're".

• jurassic82
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2010, 12:30:51 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 03:42:08 pm »
I worked at two Hagwons and neither of them were too generous with the vacation time. I worked at Avalon for 18 months and I only got choose how to use 5 of the 10 vacation days. The rest of the 5 days were chosen for me. If you are set on working at a hagwon because you like the late hours and the social life (like working with other foriegners) then go for it. If you are looking for vacation time try and apply for a public school or just keep your eyes peeled on this site and eslcafe for private elementary, middle and high schools. They often offer just as good vacation time as public schools. I don't think there is much wiggle room with hagwons. It is pretty easy for them to find some young economic refugee with loads of student loan debt from America or Canada. Just keep your eyes open and you should be able to find a good position. Cheers!!!

• piyopayo
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:56:34 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 12:42:31 pm »
I work at a public school, but we never get to choose our vacation periods. In fact, we'll have the first two weeks of August off and that's the "peak" of peak season. I was looking at vacation packages and I'll have to pay $900-1000 for a place that normally cost $300. I guess there's a bad side to public school too!?!?

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 12:49:05 pm »
No, you're not asking for too much.

True, many hagwons do tell you when to take some or all of your vacation days.
As far as how many, ten days is standard but that's NOT including public holidays, so you're correct in calling that absurd.

'recently saw a posting' means you've not signed up for anything yet?
If they offer you that kind of contract, I'd say to look elsewhere.
Best. 

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 05:09:35 pm »
With hagwons you probably have more chance of neg. for pay than more holidays. Kids tend to get sent to hagwon on holidays so the foreign teacher really needs to be there.

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 12:30:13 pm »
Different jobs write their contracts differently, think about the 4 weeks paid vacation at the end (severance).
Depending on where your from but in NZ your not even entitled to take holidays untill after 12 months

I may of read it wrong but to be entitled to get the public holidays off and paid don't you have to be employed full time, employed for at least 44hrs a week.

Hagwons are a private business so chances are their not all the same, if you don't like what one has to offer then don't apply for the position.

I am assuming "Waygook genius" is sarcasm.  This post is riddled with errors.

Yes (to put it mildly).

I'm assuming 'bob-let's-all-go-to-outer-space' is a Kiwi troll.  ::)
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• China
    more
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 05:09:18 pm »
40 and 44 hours workweeks

http://www.koreanlaborlaw.com/40-and-44-hours-workweeks-application-schedule-and-differences/

Annual Leave based on the Korean Labor Law
By admin, on January 12th, 2011
Here is a brief information on annual leave under the labor standards act of Korea.

1. The initial leave starts as 15 days.

Once an employee worked for 80% of total working days of the first year, he is entitled to use 15 daysí annual leave during the next one year. If an employee works less than 80% of the total working days, basically he gets no annual leave at all for the next year.

http://www.koreanlaborlaw.com/annual-leave-based-on-the-korean-labor-law/

Who the Hell is 'admin'... and why is this 'author' writing in Konglish about Korean labor law? If you want to know something READ THE ACT... not a bizarre website.
Suggestion -
Read the current version - available from the government (in English) and make note of repealed provisions. A date is always given with regard to ammendments -
* This Act reflects only the amendments made until ________________.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 05:23:39 pm by cruisemonkey »
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

• JahRhythm
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 25, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 07:02:08 pm »
I worked at two Hagwons and neither of them were too generous with the vacation time. I worked at Avalon for 18 months and I only got choose how to use 5 of the 10 vacation days. The rest of the 5 days were chosen for me. If you are set on working at a hagwon because you like the late hours and the social life (like working with other foriegners) then go for it. If you are looking for vacation time try and apply for a public school or just keep your eyes peeled on this site and eslcafe for private elementary, middle and high schools. They often offer just as good vacation time as public schools. I don't think there is much wiggle room with hagwons. It is pretty easy for them to find some young economic refugee with loads of student loan debt from America or Canada. Just keep your eyes open and you should be able to find a good position. Cheers!!!
Actually, they always (in my experience) offer better vacation time than public schools. Not to mention other benefits and an all around more professional work environment. But they require more qualifications and experience so more competitive to land.
But I'm glad people are wising up and not perpetuating the myth that the only options are public schools or hagwon.
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• China
    more
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 09:58:00 am »
Is it wrong?

Parts are.  Now, you have to figure out what "it" is. ;D

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 03:25:44 am »
Thanks everyone for your help.  I like the idea of a private elementary school.  I'll keep an eye peeled.  We are qualified to teach in public schools, but I'm not a fan of the new EPIK placement policy.  I need to be able to choose where I'll be.  I'll be sure to clarify in any contract that vacation is vacation and holidays are separate.