Read 1722 times

Late pay #2 TAXES
« on: May 16, 2012, 04:47:36 pm »
Just thought I would tell everyone that I was finally paid yesterday!  I'm still unsure of why it was late.  We have now set a date for future payments.  HOWEVER, I do have a question for everyone....I was paid, but no taxes were taken out.  Is this typical?  Should I put money aside...or tell them taxes need to be taken out?  Any thoughts?  Thanks for everyone's input!

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
Re: Late pay #2 TAXES
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 04:52:09 pm »
You're at a hagwon, right?

We all know why it was late.

You should be taxed, you should have health insurance deducted, and you should have pension deducted.  These should be taken from your pay and passed on (with an employer contribution for health and pension) to the corresponding organisation.

If you are not being taxed you should put money aside as you have to pay, but your employer should do all of this for you.

• JahRhythm
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 25, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 06:10:31 pm »
You'll probably get double-deductions on paycheck #2.
Make sure all the deductions are correct.
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

• reb3444
  • Veteran

• June 04, 2010, 09:32:48 am
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 10:35:31 am »
I don't think that it is rude for you to ask about deductions.  I have asked before and they were always willing to show me what they were taking.  Actually, they always gave me a pay sheet with how much they are taking out. 

If your employer is saying that it is rude, it is because they are doing something that they shouldn't.  I would contact the tax office directly and ask.  Also, I would contact medical and pension as well.  Since Korean law states that all foreigners must be taxed, and have medical and pension taken out of their paychecks.  How do you think the government makes money, they take that money and they invest.  If your employer is not paying, then the agency will call and yell at them. 

And if you employer says that you shouldn't have done that, then you can say that they told you that it was rude to ask them directly.  Also, point out, politely, that you are only following the laws of Korea, since your contract states that you must not break Korean Law. 

I think it is a good thing that I would at a Public School.

• Sara
  • Featured Contributor

• September 01, 2010, 08:58:35 am
    • Chungcheongbukdo
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 03:11:45 pm »
They could not deduct any taxes until the end of the year. Be prepared to pay a lump sum if you don't see any deductions. Some teachers send their extra money home every month and get stuck in a bad spot when their school demands 1 million won in 5 days.

• ahess.wisc
  • Veteran

• March 01, 2012, 03:51:33 pm
    • Yoeng Duek South Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 03:29:31 pm »
If you are from a country with a tax treaty with South Korea you should apply for a residency certificate with your home taxing authority and then you don't have to pay Korean taxes for your first two years. If you are from Ireland or Canada, you are stuck paying taxes.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 03:37:14 pm »
If you are from a country with a tax treaty with South Korea you should apply for a residency certificate with your home taxing authority and then you don't have to pay Korean taxes for your first two years. If you are from Ireland or Canada, you are stuck paying taxes.

Not for hagwons.  Sorry.