Read 1330 times

• lenak
  • Adventurer

• September 22, 2011, 12:40:41 pm
    • Anyang
leaving early for passport/visa
« on: May 16, 2012, 04:47:26 pm »
My school is really strict about signing in and keeping track of the my comings and goings. I recently had to go to the Canadian embassy got get my passport renewed ( a huge hassel in a foreign country). My school made me sign out for that time and took the two hours that my journey took out of my vacation time. Since it's not strictly a business trip, my principal said, he had to take it out of my vacation time. Fine. I was a bit angry but ok, its understandable. Now I found out that I also need to make a trip to the Korean immigration office to hand in a form regarding my new updated passport. I'm pretty sure I am supposed to officially notify the immigration office by law. One of my coteachers said that that may need to come out of my vacation time as well. the principal was busy today so my coteacher didnt get a chance to ask him about that. My other super sweet coteacher also volunteered to go with me even if they take it out of her vacation time which is really going above and beyond ( i am so grateful for her, she is awesome) but still I feel it would be very unfair if the principal decided that this trip doesn't count as a business trip. I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with this kind of situation. I kind of feel like since it's somthing I absolutely have to do in order to not break the law, I shouldn't have to take my own vacation time to do that, especially since i may need my coteachers help as well. Then again, I don't quite know that I am in th right. So id love to hear what you guys have to say.

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
Re: leaving early for passport/visa
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 06:30:21 pm »
I'd say both the passport renewal and notifying Kimmi are business trips because the former is necessary for you to be in Korea and do your job; and the latter to comply with K law. You have no choice in these matters.
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 06:43:20 pm »
First, you don't need to go to the immigration office to update them on your passport.  You can do it by fax. 

Information is here: http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,13747.msg112607.html#msg112607

Secondly,

It's not a business trip.  This is the word from GEPIK, as well (clearly explained during my orientation).  They can take it from your vacation.

It's up to your school on how strict they want to be.

Remember, if you keep this time off to less than 8 hours in the year, it doesn't count against you (same applies for Korean teachers).

Just because it involves the law, does not make it a business trip.  It's personal business.  It's what you need to do to keep yourself legal.  F-visa holders don't need to do this, for instance.  It's just your situation as an E-2 holder.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:45:22 pm by justanotherwaygook »
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 04:16:14 am »
It makes sense the notification of Immigration should not count as a business trip because you can do it by fax (I was unaware of this) - no 'trip' is necessary.

OP,
You shouldn't need any help from a CT - just fill out the form in English. Same for notifying Kimmi of a Change of Address.
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

• Mark van
  • Veteran

• February 04, 2011, 10:55:24 am
    • Busan, Korea
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 07:42:48 am »
Cough cough. Oh. My condition is poor. I must go to the hospital.

You work at a public school. You can actually use sick days without the headache. Use them. Get your stuff done, and, if you actually have any prescriptions that need refilling, head to the hospital as well.

^^ great idea hehe. Please check your contract to make sure but it should be 8 accumulated hours of tardiness means that 1 vacation day is deducted (in the old contracts it use to say Unpaid) and 8 accumulated hours of "early leave" for medical reasons means that 1 day sick leave is deducted. So technically you don't even have to use a full sick day.