Read 3581 times

• Mangojam
  • Waygookin

• April 28, 2010, 02:07:04 pm
    • Uijeongbu
Proof that I left Korea
« on: May 15, 2012, 02:27:40 pm »
So, I'm finishing my contract next week. I'm changing schools and my flight has been booked and refunded.  Now, my co-teacher/admin want proof of departure. I volunteered to send them my boarding pass but they won't accept it. How else can I prove that I left Korea? I've searched on the Hikorea website but I can't seem to find anything from immigration. (I'm with Gepik btw).

Re: Proof that I left Korea
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 02:42:05 pm »
So, I'm finishing my contract next week. I'm changing schools and my flight has been booked and refunded.  Now, my co-teacher/admin want proof of departure. I volunteered to send them my boarding pass but they won't accept it. How else can I prove that I left Korea? I've searched on the Hikorea website but I can't seem to find anything from immigration. (I'm with Gepik btw).

Hmmm.  Boarding pass should be sufficient.  This sounds odd.

I know it sounds obvious, but had you asked the school what they want as proof?  What do they say?
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Mangojam
  • Waygookin

• Uijeongbu
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 02:59:24 pm »
Yes, I've asked. They claim there's a Seoul agency that I should go to. It's not the immigration office, but an "agency" or office of some sort that will give them proof that I left and didn't cancel my ticket like other teachers. The admin lady has even registered me online, but I still don't know what is required from me. Anyone ever had to do this?

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 03:02:37 pm »
Edit - forget what I said, didn't see the OPs reply a couple of minutes before I posted.

If you've been registered online, is it anything to do with the NEIS system? The reason why they want you to do it is what I suspected, but I can't see how you can definitively prove not cancelling your ticket before your actual date of departure.

TBH, if your flight money has already been refunded, I'd be inclined not to worry too much about this and leave the onus on them to tell you exactly what they need you to do and where to go.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:18:11 pm by ironopolis »

• plchron
  • Super Waygook

• July 20, 2011, 10:24:04 am
    • Ulsan
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 03:38:53 pm »
just so we are clear; you booked a flight to get the exit allowance, but you aren't exiting? IS there anything in your contract stating that you are required to exit to be entitled to the allowance?

Well played, I would have done the same. Depending on what your contract says, tell them to go .....  themselves.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 06:59:52 pm »
I don't get your situation fully.  How did they know that you canceled your ticket?????
I have to give my employers an e-ticket?  Can they check that or not?
I really don't trust these people and I don't think  many foreigners should.
I have a clause in my contract that I can seek arbitration in Seoul.
I would seek something similar.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 07:23:41 pm »
What action is the school threatenibg?  Usually you might need to submit something after you leave so they can transfer you the money. But you already got the money. What can they do?  Sounds like another case of stuff being made up so they sound like they know what they're talking about.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Mangojam
  • Waygookin

• Uijeongbu
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 12:10:00 pm »
Hey everyone. I'm not cancelling my ticket. I will be leaving soon. But they would like proof that I used the ticket and didn't cancel it (apparently some NETs are doing that and Gepik has caught on). So, I'm being sent to an office in Seoul to get a print out. We'll see how it all turns out once I get back and start my new job.

• PaulPTFC
  • Adventurer

• July 05, 2010, 02:29:44 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 06:43:47 am »
Your school is playing unnecessary hardball here. I spoke to my co-ordinator shortly before leaving (I worked for a GEPIK school) and she told me to ask my school for my flight money before my contract expired - I did, and I got it, along with everything else before I left the country. I know I was very lucky but I'm just showing that these things are not set in stone and if there is somebody higher up you can speak to then you definitely should. It's not the Korean way, but you're leaving anyway so I wouldn't worry.
www.thealienbank.co m - Foreign restaurant reviews in Seoul and Gyeonggi.

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 10:19:52 am »
Double check your contract. There is nothing in my EPIK contract that says that I actually have to leave Korea to get the flight reimbursement. It simply states that at the end of my contract, I get x amount of money. The only time your required to actually leave is for your pension refund, which has nothing to do with your actual school.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 11:36:59 am »
Double check your contract. There is nothing in my EPIK contract that says that I actually have to leave Korea to get the flight reimbursement. It simply states that at the end of my contract, I get x amount of money. The only time your required to actually leave is for your pension refund, which has nothing to do with your actual school.

OP seems to be with GEPIK, which does have stringent rules about getting the leaving allowance.

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 02:49:27 pm »
Well, someone has to say it:  Tell 'em to Fuckk Off!!! :P :o

They are presuming you are guilty and trying to put through the Nth degree.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 10:33:05 am »
Wow. I really don't understand all the big reactions. I don't think your school is being personal. They may have a school accountant/administrator that is very very by the book. My school has one like that, and while it's hard to not take it personally, I've had to just realize that a)they have the right to require anything in the contract b)it's not really personal.

They may need you to get this extra step done for them to get money from the government to cover the reimbursement they gave you, or for future funding purposes. The ridiculous people here are the government, not your school. Who knows, it may be a new thing that we haven't heard about yet. I mean, new regulations and hoops to jump through are common here, as we all know. They pop up and change and get dropped again at a moments notice. It's an administrator's hell. My understanding is that most government funding for things in Korea gets renewed each year on the basis of how much was spent in the previous year. It may be that they are documenting their expenses extra thoroughly so as to assure greater funding for next year's budget. It's the same reason sidewalks are constantly being "repaired" when they were already OK. The more a city spends, the more it will get next year.

It's silly, but try not to be offended. Sounds like it's working out for you anyway...

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 04:16:04 pm »
Look at your contract do you get:

A) a flight REIMBURSEMENT

or

B) an EXIT ALLOWANCE

If it's A) then you need to give them proof ( a boarding pass with the E tcket conformation is sufficient)

if its B) then you dont owe them crap, you dont even need to fly out of the country

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 06:04:43 pm »
So, I'm being sent to an office in Seoul to get a print out. We'll see how it all turns out once I get back and start my new job.

I wish you well... and hope they don't make you go to a re-edumacation camp to learn the difference between refund and reimbursement.
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 09:24:06 pm »
So, I'm being sent to an office in Seoul to get a print out. We'll see how it all turns out once I get back and start my new job.

I wish you well... and hope they don't make you go to a re-edumacation camp to learn the difference between refund and reimbursement.

Aren't they almost exact synonyms?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/refund

re·fund  (r-fnd, rfnd)
v. re·fund·ed, re·fund·ing, re·funds
v.tr.
To give back, especially money; return or repay: refunded the purchase price.
v.intr.
To make repayment.
n. (rfnd)
1. A repayment of funds.
2. An amount repaid.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/reimbursement
re·im·burse  (rm-būrs)
tr.v. re·im·bursed, re·im·burs·ing, re·im·burs·es
1. To repay (money spent); refund.
2. To pay back or compensate (another party) for money spent or losses incurred.

Maybe there's a difference in "business English" but I don't know it.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.