Read 282995 times

Re: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]
« Reply #860 on: December 24, 2018, 11:23:02 am »
...and so it starts.

« Reply #861 on: December 24, 2018, 11:59:11 am »
...and so it starts.

Right? Luckily I have no camp, but it will be a bit boring here. Mine desk warming will start next Monday. Do you at least come later and leave earlier? I sure feel bad for those that have higher-ups that make them come the full time.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #862 on: December 24, 2018, 02:36:32 pm »
Some schools will let you leave a bit earlier while others will make you stay all day.  But, even with that, I suspect you could come in a bit later 9ish and take frequent breaks and walks or whatever. 

As for travelling, I just go to my main school during that time 5 days a week.   I don't bother travelling and going to all my other schools.  I use it if it's closest to my house.  Otherwise, I'd call the education office and try to go to the school nearest my home. 

I guess it's hobby time and watch movie time?  You can also bring in a space heater if the heating in your room isn't great.  I had a couple of schools where things were shut off before.  I just went to the finance or maintenance office and asked them to turn on the power and the heater.  If they are jackholes, bring in your own space heaters and demand the power be turned on at least.  I'd go home if it weren't.  That would be ridiculous putting up with that. 

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #863 on: December 26, 2018, 08:01:14 am »
You can also bring in a space heater if the heating in your room isn't great.  I had a couple of schools where things were shut off before.  I just went to the finance or maintenance office and asked them to turn on the power and the heater.  If they are jackholes, bring in your own space heaters and demand the power be turned on at least.  I'd go home if it weren't.  That would be ridiculous putting up with that.

I think most public schools are pretty strict about not allowing people to bring their own space heaters to use at school/in their classrooms, since the schools view it as a fire hazard. But I guess if someone really wanted to, they could try to do it under the table (no pun intended).

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #864 on: December 26, 2018, 08:50:48 am »
You can also bring in a space heater if the heating in your room isn't great.  I had a couple of schools where things were shut off before.  I just went to the finance or maintenance office and asked them to turn on the power and the heater.  If they are jackholes, bring in your own space heaters and demand the power be turned on at least.  I'd go home if it weren't.  That would be ridiculous putting up with that.

I think most public schools are pretty strict about not allowing people to bring their own space heaters to use at school/in their classrooms, since the schools view it as a fire hazard. But I guess if someone really wanted to, they could try to do it under the table (no pun intended).

I've never heard of it.  But during the vacation if no one is there, bring it in and turn it on.  Do it, don't ask.  I have seen Korean teachers with tiny ones before.  I don't need it because schools have turned on the heat.  But, I have heard of some schools making the teacher come in and sit all day without turning on the heat which is absurd.  I would demand the heat get turned on or go home myself.  But if you're going to tolerate that, then bring in a space heater instead - a small one. 

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #865 on: December 26, 2018, 09:18:53 am »
I've never heard of it.  But during the vacation if no one is there, bring it in and turn it on.  Do it, don't ask.  I have seen Korean teachers with tiny ones before.  I don't need it because schools have turned on the heat.  But, I have heard of some schools making the teacher come in and sit all day without turning on the heat which is absurd.  I would demand the heat get turned on or go home myself.  But if you're going to tolerate that, then bring in a space heater instead - a small one.

I've been told by other NETs before that they were told by their co-teachers/schools that they weren't allowed to bring in a space heater to use at school. I don't have any personal experience with that since the only time I had a space heater while I was working as a public school teacher, I needed to use it in my apartment as the ondol ran on oil (which was super-expensive and would run out quickly in the winter), and I found that using a space heater would be cheaper for my then-apartment at the time (it was a tiny shoebox apartment). My current workplace blasts the heat full-on, so yeah, needing to bring a space heater with me to work is not necessary for me.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #866 on: December 26, 2018, 01:08:21 pm »

I've been told by other NETs before that they were told by their co-teachers/schools that they weren't allowed to bring in a space heater to use at school. I don't have any personal experience with that since the only time I had a space heater while I was working as a public school teacher, I needed to use it in my apartment as the ondol ran on oil (which was super-expensive and would run out quickly in the winter), and I found that using a space heater would be cheaper for my then-apartment at the time (it was a tiny shoebox apartment). My current workplace blasts the heat full-on, so yeah, needing to bring a space heater with me to work is not necessary for me.

Did the school turn on the heat for them then?  I would go home if they didn't turn it on for me while insisting I couldn't use a space heater.  That's pretty disrespectful on their part.  Thankfully, it's never been an issue for me either.  I keep the heat on low so when I get up and eat my cereal in the morning, I turn one on at home for 15 or 20 minutes or so before heading to school.  (I can't sleep when it's too hot.)

« Reply #867 on: December 26, 2018, 01:56:19 pm »
...and so it starts.

Right? Luckily I have no camp, but it will be a bit boring here. Mine desk warming will start next Monday. Do you at least come later and leave earlier? I sure feel bad for those that have higher-ups that make them come the full time.

Nope, I have to come for the full time. You're lucky that you've got no camp. I've got two weeks of camp starting at the beginning of January. Can't wait until the end of January to get here, so I can take my much needed, long vacation.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #868 on: December 27, 2018, 08:02:11 am »
Did the school turn on the heat for them then?  I would go home if they didn't turn it on for me while insisting I couldn't use a space heater.  That's pretty disrespectful on their part.  Thankfully, it's never been an issue for me either.  I keep the heat on low so when I get up and eat my cereal in the morning, I turn one on at home for 15 or 20 minutes or so before heading to school.  (I can't sleep when it's too hot.)

I don't know what exactly the situation was for them, but in my case, I remember the public schools where I used to work in Korea were all pretty stingy about turning on the heat in the wintertime and skimped on it most of the time, so I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case for the NETs who wanted to bring in their own space heaters to use in their classrooms. I don't use a space heater in my home anymore since I no longer live in a studio apartment; utility-bills-wise, I think a space heater is better to use when living in a tiny studio and not a bigger space (otherwise the electric bill will skyrocket) -- and also, especially if the ondol runs on oil.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 08:03:59 am by Mezoti97 »

« Reply #869 on: December 27, 2018, 10:27:57 am »
My main school is the complete opposite.  In the winter, I can crank the heat all I want, for as long as I want.  But when summer rolls around, they (admins) control the therm.  It once was 40 in my room before they thought I might need A/C.   :rolleyes: 

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #870 on: December 27, 2018, 02:21:53 pm »
My main school is the complete opposite.  In the winter, I can crank the heat all I want, for as long as I want.  But when summer rolls around, they (admins) control the therm.  It once was 40 in my room before they thought I might need A/C.   :rolleyes:

Sounds similar to my current workplace. I mean, I can't manually control the heat, but the building cranks the heat up full-blast in the wintertime (to the point where many of my co-workers complain that they feel too hot when at work), but the building seems to be stingier about cranking up the A/C in the summertime for whatever reason.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #871 on: December 28, 2018, 10:49:06 am »

Sounds similar to my current workplace. I mean, I can't manually control the heat, but the building cranks the heat up full-blast in the wintertime (to the point where many of my co-workers complain that they feel too hot when at work), but the building seems to be stingier about cranking up the A/C in the summertime for whatever reason.

Because the old folks love the heat.  They seem to think everyone else should love it like them.

• lelsasser
  • Veteran

• October 02, 2016, 04:33:26 pm
    • Suwon, South Korea
« Reply #872 on: December 28, 2018, 01:14:28 pm »

Because the old folks love the heat.  They seem to think everyone else should love it like them.

Sounds like the 'healing retreat' I went on with my school staff. The ahjummas cranked that heat in our room. I was sweating all night.

« Reply #873 on: December 31, 2018, 10:19:06 am »
Just said good-bye to my 3rd graders.  I only see them on Mon. and Tues., so today was our last day.  So sad!  :cry:

Desk warming starts on Thursday.  Kinna doing it now since most of classes are canceled due to graduation and well, nothing to do or teach.  Already bored! 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #874 on: December 31, 2018, 12:51:32 pm »
One school is still going on this week.  Mon and Thurs here and Fri start camp at one of my other schools and then Mon Tues next week.  This school Wed to Fri next week and my other school a five day camp the following week.  But my other two schools finished last week.  So, a mini holiday this week.  But camps let you leave earlier in the afternoon.  Then a week of vacation.  Then, one school comes back last week of January on Monday while one comes back Fri and the the other only comes back the next week after Seolnal.  Two schools will come back for around two weeks instead of one.  Mid Feb.  Weirdest schedule I have ever had.  So, no actual deskwarming days until the last two weeks of February or so.  But I can work out leaving early those days, depends on the school.  Also may be able to take a couple of days off in between if some schools are in session and some are not.  Oops.  But, we'll see.  I am hoping other schools aren't calling.  Some do and some don't.  So, not sure yet.  But no rest yet. 

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #875 on: December 31, 2018, 01:03:19 pm »
One school is still going on this week.  Mon and Thurs here and Fri start camp at one of my other schools and then Mon Tues next week.  This school Wed to Fri next week and my other school a five day camp the following week.  But my other two schools finished last week.  So, a mini holiday this week.  But camps let you leave earlier in the afternoon.  Then a week of vacation.  Then, one school comes back last week of January on Monday while one comes back Fri and the the other only comes back the next week after Seolnal.  Two schools will come back for around two weeks instead of one.  Mid Feb.  Weirdest schedule I have ever had.  So, no actual deskwarming days until the last two weeks of February or so.  But I can work out leaving early those days, depends on the school.  Also may be able to take a couple of days off in between if some schools are in session and some are not.  Oops.  But, we'll see.  I am hoping other schools aren't calling.  Some do and some don't.  So, not sure yet.  But no rest yet.

They should use this for the last question in next year's 수능
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

« Reply #876 on: December 31, 2018, 01:25:14 pm »

They should use this for the last question in next year's 수능

:laugh: :laugh:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #877 on: December 31, 2018, 01:42:26 pm »
Bandersnatch
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #878 on: January 07, 2019, 02:45:42 pm »
I came in at 8(ish) said hello to a few people, turned around and went home, came back at three.  No one even knew I was gone.  YAY for having my own classroom and for being ignored.  :azn:

« Reply #879 on: January 07, 2019, 02:47:33 pm »