Read 3304 times

Pay Late
« on: May 14, 2012, 04:58:57 pm »
So I've been teaching in Korea for a month and 12 days.....and still have yet to see a paycheck.  They said I would be paid last Thursday and no pay came.  Friday they said I need a bank account set up...which I did that morning...still no pay Friday.  They said pay will come Monday (today)  Just ending my day so...well see how it goes.  I know this is typical of Korea, but at what point should I start advocating for myself more?  When is too long to wait and starting a stink about things?  Thanks!

Re: Pay Late
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 05:00:34 pm »
Perhaps include more details.

When is your pay day scheduled for?

Are you working at a public school, private school, hagwon or university.

Please be detailed in your posts or else we can't help you as much.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 05:04:16 pm »
Its a Hagwon, I'm scheduled for pay on the 10th. 

• JahRhythm
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 25, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:20:41 pm »
I wouldn't say it's "typical in Korea."
In all my years here I've never been paid late.
Of course, I've never worked for a crapgwon.
How early to make a stink?
The moment you realize you haven't been paid on time.
You're not here to volunteer.
Don't let anyone mess with your money.
Kind of weird (incompetent) that they waited unto after payday to realize you'd need a bank account sorted...
Hopefully you'll get it on Tuesday!
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:33:53 pm »
I second Jahrythm.

Make a stink right away.  Call your boss tomorrow morning and demand it.  If you don't have it by noon, threaten to go to the labor board (though they won't intervene until after a certain amount of time, 2 weeks I think).

if you don't have it by 4:00, call the labor board.

This is the stuff not to mess around with.  Don't scream and shout, but be firm and insistent.  And follow through on your threat with the labor board.  Show your boss that he can't push you around.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 10:00:08 am »
So I've been teaching in Korea for a month and 12 days..... 

........I know this is typical of Korea,

No, I wouldn't say either that it's typical of Korea and you're not really in a position to judge that after only a month a half here. Like JahRhythm, I've never once had trouble getting paid on time in several years here.

There are some very dodgy hagwons around, however delays over the very first month's salary can and do often happen for a number of reasons that do not necessarily indicate the employer or job is bad.

A common such reason is you not having a bank account set up for them to pay into.  And I note that you said you opened one up only last Friday. In the absence of any other information about your employer, I would guess that this is the reason you haven't been paid so far. It might be partly their fault for not giving you any help you needed in setting up the bank account, but you surely didn't expect to be able to get paid without one, did you?

Also, have you given them your bank details? Usually it's a photocopy of the info page in your bankbook that they'll want.  IF you've done all that, and you still haven't received anything in the account by the end of the following day, THEN you need to start putting your foot down and being a bit more cautious generally about your employer.  But you need to make sure you've done all of your own bit first.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:04:21 am by ironopolis »

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 11:02:13 am »
So I've been teaching in Korea for a month and 12 days..... 

........I know this is typical of Korea,

No, I wouldn't say either that it's typical of Korea and you're not really in a position to judge that after only a month a half here. Like JahRhythm, I've never once had trouble getting paid on time in several years here.

There are some very dodgy hagwons around, however delays over the very first month's salary can and do often happen for a number of reasons that do not necessarily indicate the employer or job is bad.

A common such reason is you not having a bank account set up for them to pay into.  And I note that you said you opened one up only last Friday. In the absence of any other information about your employer, I would guess that this is the reason you haven't been paid so far. It might be partly their fault for not giving you any help you needed in setting up the bank account, but you surely didn't expect to be able to get paid without one, did you?

Also, have you given them your bank details? Usually it's a photocopy of the info page in your bankbook that they'll want.  IF you've done all that, and you still haven't received anything in the account by the end of the following day, THEN you need to start putting your foot down and being a bit more cautious generally about your employer.  But you need to make sure you've done all of your own bit first.

I think if you live and work in a place you have the right to judge whatever you want to about it.

As to the bank account, I believe it is the hagwan's fault 100%, no question. At the absolute minimum, they should have told the OP they needed a bank account.

Also, I know people who have worked at hagwans who got paid in cash every month, no bank account needed.

As some are proponents of foreigners acting like morons in public giving all of us a bad name, the opposite can be assumed here, whether accurate or not.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 12:27:47 pm »

I think if you live and work in a place you have the right to judge whatever you want to about it.

Never said that wasn't the case. Merely that when you've been in a country for not much over a month, you're not best placed to judge what is or isn't typical for that country. Typical, going on what you've read on forums like this, maybe so, but that isn't what was said. Semantics aside, given that the OP is obviously well aware of the existence of late pay issues at hagwons, I just think it's more helpful to let him know that it isn't necessarily the case that late pay will happen for the entire rest of his time here.

As to the bank account, I believe it is the hagwan's fault 100%, no question.

Of course, you might be right. But that's quite an assumption from the limited info given. I'd agree that the employer should at least tell him he needs to open a bank account if indeed he does, but we don't know for sure that they never did. It may have been mentioned in some initial info and the conversation referred to above was just them reminding him to do it because he hadn't. If the employer had said or given a clear impression that there was no need for him to open a bank account, then I'd totally agree that even more blame should go their way - but again, there's no indication of that having happened or not.

Also, I know people who have worked at hagwans who got paid in cash every month, no bank account needed.

I do too. And, if anything, that per se tends to be even more of an indication that you might be working for a dodgy employer. But this is 2012, and most people would expect it to be more likely a regular monthly salary is going to be paid into their bank account unless there's a good reason to believe different like, for example, the employer saying or implying that any bank account would already be arranged for the teacher or salary will be in cash. Maybe that happened here - I don't know.

I'm neither sticking up for nor attacking anyone based on what little I know here. I simply hope the OP gets paid quickly and that's he's either received his salary already or that the suggestions I and others made have contributed to the problem being at least well on its way to being solved.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:54:24 pm by ironopolis »

• jorgill
  • Waygookin

• October 31, 2011, 01:33:29 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 04:04:03 pm »
The majority of employers require you to have a bank account to put your pay into.  This is not a new thing, nor restricted to Korea.  Cash in hand is really unusual these days (outside dodgy hagwons), especially in the teaching professions.

Every foreigner here has to wait for their ARC card to open a bank account (part of the "no waygook, soz" policy of the country.  Try getting a subway or credit card at Woori bank without a Korean cosigning everything).  Once you've got your bank account sorted and give them the details they can then pay you.  Probably not an hour after you open the account though!

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 08:20:20 pm »
Every foreigner here has to wait for their ARC card to open a bank account (part of the "no waygook, soz" policy of the country. 

Agree with everything else you said, but FWIW the policy as regards the opening of an account is not so much "no waygook, soz" but "no official Korean ID card with ID number, soz". A Korean trying to open a bank account or get a phone without their 주민등록증 (ID card - equivalent to our ARC with the same kind of date of birth plus 7 figure ID number) will find it pretty much as difficult as we would without an ARC. I know this having personally witnessed a Korean trying to do those things without it.

Not to deny the disadvantage we are at in having to often wait an annoying amount of time to get said card on arrival in the country. But that's not a policy - it's just the slow wheels of bureaucracy and Korean bureaucrats are not the slowest I've ever come across. Not that that'd be much comfort to someone like the OP, waiting to be able sort out a bank account, I know. But hopefully he hasn't returned to this thread yet because he's out spending his well earned and now finally received salary.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:23:22 pm by ironopolis »

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 10:07:20 pm »
Every foreigner here has to wait for their ARC card to open a bank account (part of the "no waygook, soz" policy of the country. 

Agree with everything else you said, but FWIW the policy as regards the opening of an account is not so much "no waygook, soz" but "no official Korean ID card with ID number, soz". A Korean trying to open a bank account or get a phone without their 주민등록증 (ID card - equivalent to our ARC with the same kind of date of birth plus 7 figure ID number) will find it pretty much as difficult as we would without an ARC. I know this having personally witnessed a Korean trying to do those things without it.

Not to deny the disadvantage we are at in having to often wait an annoying amount of time to get said card on arrival in the country. But that's not a policy - it's just the slow wheels of bureaucracy and Korean bureaucrats are not the slowest I've ever come across. Not that that'd be much comfort to someone like the OP, waiting to be able sort out a bank account, I know. But hopefully he hasn't returned to this thread yet because he's out spending his well earned and now finally received salary.  ;D

Even this is not entirely true.  You can open and account using your passport.  Later, when you get an ARC, you deregister the passport and register the ARC.  This is what I did.

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 10:38:34 pm »

Even this is not entirely true.  You can open and account using your passport.  Later, when you get an ARC, you deregister the passport and register the ARC.  This is what I did.

In my experience, the 'law' depends on the bank.  It may be 'legal' to open a bank account with your passport at KEB, but it is 'illegal' at KB.   ::)

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 08:28:52 am »

Yes, you're quite right. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure you can also just get an official paper confirmation of your alien registration from the district office of where you live and use that in lieu of your ARC until it arrives. This might be an option only for F visas though, not totally sure.

Justanotherwaygook is also right however, that what you can actually do in practice may well depend on who you end up dealing with on that particular day at the bank, phone shop or wherever.

My main point was that it isn't quite the complete 'one rule for us, another for them' situation when opening a bank account and similar that some people think. And both the above paragraphs can apply to Koreans as well - there are similar ways around their not having their ID card, but they too can sometimes end up frustrated by dealing with someone less clued up behind the counter.

• jorgill
  • Waygookin

• October 31, 2011, 01:33:29 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 11:13:42 pm »

Yes, you're quite right. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure you can also just get an official paper confirmation of your alien registration from the district office of where you live and use that in lieu of your ARC until it arrives. This might be an option only for F visas though, not totally sure.

Perhaps it is just for F visas.  I tried using my confirmation from the immigration office and my passport.  The only way they would open up an account for me was when the headteacher from my school came in with her Korean ID.  The first time when we went in she didn't have it on her and we were told no ID, no account.

It could be that my bank/branch of Woori is terrible.  They refuse to let foreigners have transportation cards, and if you want a credit card everything has to be cosigned by a Korean.  KBStar didn't give me any such nonsense so I'm leaning towards Woori being a bad bank. 

Also, I was just pointing out its often one rule for foreigners, but it works both ways and we also get discounts which more than make up for the bother of changing banks!