Read 176019 times

• draco888
  • Super Waygook

• August 11, 2013, 09:11:35 pm
Re: Detective Camp!
« Reply #280 on: July 24, 2015, 09:21:32 am »
looks great! I would be most interested in the rest of your materials, I'm in the middle of a 2 week detective camp myself.

« Reply #281 on: July 24, 2015, 10:10:09 am »
looks great! I would be most interested in the rest of your materials, I'm in the middle of a 2 week detective camp myself.

Thanks! I don't have them on my USB right now, just on my laptop at home, so I'll post them as soon as I can.

« Reply #282 on: July 24, 2015, 02:40:57 pm »
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:12:06 pm by bluehermione »

• jmcranda
  • Waygookin

• September 26, 2013, 12:34:25 pm
    • Gangnam
« Reply #283 on: November 26, 2015, 12:21:28 pm »
This might seem crazy obvious....but has anyone tried using a white crayon on white paper for the invisible ink portion?  You just have to color over it with a marker or watercolor paint to reveal the message. 

I'm probably the laziest human being on the planet, and we have crayons and markers at the school already. If they're not looking for it, it shouldn't be apparently obvious and it won't wrinkle the paper...or cost any extra money effort on your part. 

Just an idea!

• GotMyTowel
  • Adventurer

• May 18, 2015, 02:50:15 pm
    • Changwon - South Korea
« Reply #284 on: November 26, 2015, 02:51:20 pm »
Thank you so much to everyone who posted in this thread. I'm actually looking forward to my Winter Camp knowing there are so many engaging activities to use   ;D

• edisante
  • Newgookin

• December 29, 2015, 05:54:17 pm
    • Goseong-gun
« Reply #285 on: December 29, 2015, 06:09:57 pm »
In the middle of a detective camp myself, this thread is super helpful. Thanks y'all. Kids go mental for the board game Clue

« Reply #286 on: January 13, 2016, 02:28:50 pm »
Thanks OP and contributors for this camp! Overall, my first-grade middle-schoolers enjoyed it, but found the animal sounds mini-mystery to be a bit elementary. In order to improve things for second grade, I searched for various activities, and found the spy-themed game "codenames" (GOOGLE IT).

Originating from the Czech Republic in 2015, this game was clearly made for EFL teachers. New to the "boardgame" scene, it is starting to take off world-wide as a partygame.

Attached are FAN-MADE RENDITIONS of the materials and instructions.

NOTE: This game requires a bit of prep, but once you have it made, you have an enjoyable prep-free activity that can be played in future "English clubs," surprise classes, etc.

To make the game, you'll need:

1. White, red, blue, and green A4 paper. (Daiso sells colored packs of paper - 25 sheets for 2000 won)

2. A4 sized laminating pouches (If your school doesn't have them, DEMAND THEM).
Your schools textbook(s) (to take vocabulary from).

3. The attachements provided with this post.

===MAKING THE GAME===

Print 1 red, blue, and green sheet of blank (i.e. no entered text) game cards.
Cut 9 cards from each sheet out, and save the rest in the event that some get lost.

For the white vocab cards, pull vocabulary from your textbooks, insert into the template, and print them out. There are 16 cards per sheet, and you need 25 to play the game. Personally, I printed out 6 sheets worth of vocab cards (2 sheets with vocab from the first, second, and third grade textbooks respectively).

In order to save cutting time, print the vocab cards on both sides if you can. The original game also does this in order to shorten set-up time between games (before starting another game, just flip over the existing cards).

The original game uses an "assasin card" to be dealt to the team that hits the assasin space, and several "key cards" to be viewed by the spy-masters. In my class, I find it easier to anounce the "instant death" of the team that hits the assasin, and to use a single white-erase "laminated A4 map-card."

Basic game instructions are on the mapcard, and detailed PDF instructions are attached (in both English and Korean).

If your school is financially able, consider purchasing the original game.

Hope this helps!

• antmar
  • Veteran

• January 13, 2016, 07:03:08 am
    • Pyeongtaek, South Korea
« Reply #287 on: July 19, 2016, 10:51:01 am »
This is my version. (Thanks for the great idea and materials, OP!) I just completed a 3-day camp, using materials from various parts of this thread (and possibly other parts of Waygook) as well as new materials that I created. The camp went pretty well, I think.

I themed it based on the BBC "Sherlock" series and gave the students an overarching mission of finding out who kidnapped Dr. Watson, completing mini challenges along the way to earn clues about the kidnapper. I also re-made the choose-your-own-adventure game. On the last day, we watched "Sherlock" Episode 1.

If anyone is interested in seeing the rest of my materials or has any questions, let me know! Hope it helps someone. :azn:

Hey I'm curious to know how did you watch Sherlock with your students? I love sherlock and would also enjoy watching it together but only if it had korean subtitles? Is that how you watched it with your students?

« Reply #288 on: July 19, 2016, 11:09:33 am »
This is my version. (Thanks for the great idea and materials, OP!) I just completed a 3-day camp, using materials from various parts of this thread (and possibly other parts of Waygook) as well as new materials that I created. The camp went pretty well, I think.

I themed it based on the BBC "Sherlock" series and gave the students an overarching mission of finding out who kidnapped Dr. Watson, completing mini challenges along the way to earn clues about the kidnapper. I also re-made the choose-your-own-adventure game. On the last day, we watched "Sherlock" Episode 1.

If anyone is interested in seeing the rest of my materials or has any questions, let me know! Hope it helps someone. :azn:

Hey I'm curious to know how did you watch Sherlock with your students? I love sherlock and would also enjoy watching it together but only if it had korean subtitles? Is that how you watched it with your students?

Yep, here are the links I used:

Episode 1 Part 1

Episode 1 Part 2

Click the "Vid#1"/Vid#2" buttons and the video will load in a new tab. You can't download it, and it's not the best quality, but it works!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:12:52 pm by bluehermione »

• Loocy
  • Explorer

• January 20, 2016, 05:54:19 pm
« Reply #289 on: November 11, 2016, 01:57:56 pm »
Thanks so much OP!

« Reply #290 on: November 15, 2016, 03:11:24 pm »
Day 8: Can someone tell me the starting point for the directions and the arrow is shifted in the download. The first three instructions to get to spruce street aren't clear enough to back track  :cry:

• RenAore
  • Waygookin

• September 01, 2013, 10:58:11 am
    • USA
« Reply #291 on: November 30, 2016, 01:27:53 pm »
4 DAY DETECTIVE CAMP + FULL CAMP BOOK

Hey guys!

I wanted to post up my materials that I modified to fit my camp schedule/school requirements. I made a camp book out of the materials I found here on this thread.. (Thanks original authors!) I have a preview of the book here: https://youtu.be/xpaT9GI_w3M?t=4m17s NOTE: Camp book is 38 pages long (because my school required long camp books lol).

This camp's goal is to collect evidence evidence and analyze it to figure out who stole the money. If you finish all of the activities at the end, you can do the mini-mysteries if you have time. (Mini-mysteries were an optional part of my camp--just so we had a time buffer).

Let me know if you have questions. Good luck guys!

NOTE: I can't seem to attach ANY of my files, so I uploaded it to google drive.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B559DIhjdLWLV3BoV0lQMERRNjQ

I'll edit this post when the server isn't busy.

EDIT: They fixed it!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 02:54:18 am by RenAore »
EPIK Program 2014 - 2016.

How I Lesson Plan: http://bit.ly/2go6zxX

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 03:08:04 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #292 on: January 17, 2017, 10:50:11 am »
So I went through this camp and updated a lot of the PowerPoint slides with up to date pics and I completely remade all of the Mr. X Files that are a bit clearer than the originals from many years ago.

A big thanks to the OP, I've used this camp as a 10 day camp (3 hours per day) a couple of times now and it works great. Hope some of you can make use of the new and updated files.

****EDIT I will be removing all of my materials as waygook.org wants to now charge you for something they did not create. If you would like a COPY FOR FREE, please inbox me and I would be more than happy to send you the materials. I would recommend all other users with  uploaded materials to do the same.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:22:23 pm by Schellib39 »

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #293 on: January 17, 2017, 01:01:55 pm »
Here is a compressed folder with all of the files you will need. Let know if there is anything that doesn't work or if there are any questions that you have.

Attached is Part 1 (The files are too large to attach as one, so I will attach a second folder in the next post)

****EDIT I will be removing all of my materials as waygook.org wants to now charge you for something they did not create. If you would like a COPY FOR FREE, please inbox me and I would be more than happy to send you the materials. I would recommend all other users with  uploaded materials to do the same.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:21:41 pm by Schellib39 »

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #294 on: January 17, 2017, 01:10:42 pm »
Attached is Part 2.

You will have to take files from both zip folders and put them into one folder.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:20:03 pm by Schellib39 »

• Chronic1989
  • Newgookin

• March 03, 2017, 10:27:12 am
    • South Korea, Seongju
« Reply #295 on: April 04, 2017, 10:41:57 am »
Hey guys,

Been looking around for a detective camp idea and this looks great, thank you for posting! I just put in some time editing the first powerpoint, let me know what you think, if you like it I will try do some more!

« Reply #296 on: July 06, 2017, 01:37:29 pm »
I was gonna do this camp (today was day 1) and already made some supplies for it but my students are at a much lower level than I thought (thanks to a miscommunication with my co-t about which grades I was teaching). Day 1 today, they were just staring at me like … O_O. I hope someone else might be able to use some of it, though.

My students are elementary (4 classes a day, 2 low level and 2 conversation) so I changed the crime to a kidnapping (Obama) and the murder of the secretary was going to be Hello Kitty (hopefully, less scary). Anyway, some of it has things that only apply to my situation but feel free to change things around. If anything, the Intro PPT got a good laugh, though I'm not sure about the formatting once I upload it here. There's supposed to be 007 music.

Anyway, help yourself. And let me know if anyone has any ideas on how to simplify (no co-t and VERY low level students) these activities. Right now, I'm starting from scratch right as my camp is starting…

Thanks to whitespider for the wonderful ideas! I borrowed a lot of 'em!

Hi there! I absolutely LOVE this ppt you made, and the ideas! I read through your lesson plan for the week and I really love it all and would love to use it for my 4 day detective camp I am planning (also elementary). I was wondering if you would be able to upload the rest of your week's files? I love the sticker/levels idea you have and would like to keep the week consistent so if you happen to still have the rest of the camp's files I would love to be able to see and use them. The other ideas on here are amazing too, but might be a little too advanced for my ss. Your ppt seems to be more at my ss' level.
 Please and thank you!

• bora0618
  • Newgookin

• December 28, 2017, 03:09:11 pm
    • korea
« Reply #297 on: December 28, 2017, 03:22:05 pm »
so nice!

« Reply #298 on: April 24, 2018, 03:59:01 pm »
Wow, this is really great!!! I might use them with my students.

• jank123
  • Explorer

• March 11, 2013, 08:26:28 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #299 on: July 11, 2019, 09:04:18 am »
Greetings! I used this camp a couple years ago, but I lost most of the files when switching over to a new computer. I tried contacting the creator of the Detective Camp plan for the zipped files, but I have a feeling they will not get the message since their last active status was in 2017. I would truly appreciate it if anyone with the zipped files would be able to share them with me for my upcoming summer camp. Thank you, and best of luck to you with your camps!
Janice Kim
Academic Coordinator
Teach North Korean Refugees

Youtube: TNKR TEDx Talk  ('Like' it!)
Give some love to TNKR: http://give.lovetnkr.com